Search

AI in Puerto Vallarta

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Kristen

AI in Puerto Vallarta

Hi, me and my fiance are interested in going to PV for a honeymoon. Can someone reccomend an AI resort? I know most people recommend not going AI but that's what we want. Anyone been to Crown Paradise? That's what our travel agent recommended. Thank you!! Also we are on somewhat of a budget but still want some luxury.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 10:31 AM
tips for happy honeymoon

1) Without meaning to sound rude, there's a reason people do not recommend AI's and particularly in Puerto Vallarta.<BR><BR>2) Travel agents make money from the properties they recommend. Has your travel agent actually stayed at this resort him/herself?<BR><BR>-Some of life's little realities.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 02:59 PM
lupe

If you're going to PV for a honeymoon, I suggest Nuevo Vallarta, which is about 20 minutes driving distance. It's a bit more quieter, and nicer for a honeymoon. We stayed at the Paradise Village which was really tranquil and beatiful. AI are ok, if you don't plan on leaving your hotel. But if you want to see the sights, why would you want to get stuck having meals at the same place day after day. In that case, just get a hotel here in the states. But if you still want an AI in Puerto Vallarta, you might want to check out Jack Tar Village, or Jolla de Mismaloya, whish are also secluded.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 03:12 PM
why PV?

(No!) Mismaloya does not have a very good reputation these days. South of town Camino Real is much better (but I don't know if they offer AI).<BR><BR>For what you describe one of the new resorts in Nuevo Vallarta more likely would offers what you are looking for, but then why go to PV? You could be staying in a nice resort anywhere for as "Mexican" as it is (or isn't) there.<BR><BR>I would (seriously ~ and I mean this in the nicest way ~ having been both places) consider Hawaii instead for your honeymoon.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 09:36 AM
lisa

Kristen,<BR>Don't let the negative comments bother you. My husband and I have been to the Playa del Carmen area twice and we've stayed in AI both times and been very pleased. There are several reasons we enjoy AI's:<BR>1. you don't have to carry money around with you all day<BR>2. anytime you are hungry or thirsty you can get something to eat or drink quickly. You don't have to worry about where to go or how much it's going to cost. It's really nice to be able to walk into a restaurant (buffet) and eat immediately. No waiting for a server or for your food to be prepared. This is usually what we do for breakfast--nice and quick and you're off to enjoy your day.<BR>3. Although some resorts offer buffet dining only we've stayed at resorts that offer ala carte for dinner. We've been pleased with these restaurants as well.<BR>4. When you're on vacation it's fun to try different drinks and food. If you make a poor selection it's nice to be able to choose something else without feeling like you've wasted money.<BR><BR>We enjoy AI's so much we just booked a trip to PV (our first time in this area) for next Feb. We're staying at the Premiere Hotel and Spa. It's within walking distance of the city and is adults only. It's also a small hotel, which we're anxious to try as both resorts we've stayed at before were very large.<BR>We also plan to eat a few meals in PV. We compared the non AI price with the AI price and the difference is so small it's silly not to go AI.<BR>When are you going? I'll be curious to hear where you go and how it was.<BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 11:06 AM
ai's IN pv

Negative comments are concerning AI's IN Puerto Vallarta. They have not had as much "practice" as those on the Caribbean side like in Cancun or Playa.<BR><BR>For the poster above, since you haven't been to your PV/AI yet, I'm not certain how you can be so reassuring to Kristen about her choice.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Brendan

We're going to the Blue Bay Getaway from 19 - 23 September and will let you know. I've heard some good things about it - yes the food's not all that great, but we'll trade that off for a good beach, included drinks and no kids! We'll let you know - email me for details!<BR>Brendan

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:42 AM
lisa

To the poster identified as [email protected]--have you been to an AI in PV or anywhere else? What experiences are your comments based on or are you just anxious to spout off about things you know nothing about?

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:09 AM
All Inclusive

AIs are good for people who drink ALOT of liquour or in an area where there is little outside dining choices, or if you are just plain wanting to stay at the resort the whole vacation. Some people who go to Mexico and go AI because they are afraid to eat in restaurants in Mexico,then they eat off the buffet at the AI which is about the most dangerous thing you can eat for food poisoning. PV probably has the widest variety of restaurants of any Mexican destination with all price ranges(try to find a beer for $2 in Cancun!). You can eat for VERY cheap or eat for VERY expensive, or anywhere in between. PV is my favorite place in the world, but if I wanted to go AI and not leave the resort much, I would go to Cancun where the beaches and water are beautiful. (About the only thing IMHO that Cancun has that is better than PV!)

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:10 AM
JRinPV

Lots of places here with 10 peso beers. Re: Canc&uacute;n, I understand they have very few restaurants compared to Vallarta.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:58 AM
All Inclusive

You are right, JR. In Cancun, everything is high priced also. There are a few good restaurants, but nothing like the selection in PV. It mystifies me that people ever go all inclusive in PV. It's just not that kind of destination!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 08:44 AM
lupe

I agree w/the last 3 writers. Cancun is very overly priced. One beer, $4!!! For that I could have stayed home and for a few more bucks buy a 6-pack!!!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 09:50 AM
notadrinker

I prefer AI's and I don't drink heavily at all (1-2 per day max). I prefer not haveing to make choices of "which restaurant" while I walk down a dusty, noisy, loud, too much traffic street (my impression of both PV and Cancun). Therefore I recommend a AI in Neuvo Vallarta or Mayan Riveriara if you also perfer to relax at a beach, go on walks, short excursions to town etc. and are not into the party scene.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 09:51 AM
ai's IN PV

Reply for Lisa~~<BR><BR>No, I have never been to an AI nor will I ever go to one. To me they are the antithesis of 'travel'.<BR><BR>My experiences are based on talking to people in Puerto Vallarta who have gone both ways, reading and contributing extensively on several travel BB's, watching a woman puke her AI pina colada into the trash can at the airport, horror stories heard repeatedly on the airplane return trip.<BR><BR>I am certainly not alone in my opinion that -especially in Puerto Vallarta- with so many fabulous restaurants and reasonably priced beer & drinks that AI's and particularly hotel buffets are not the best way to go.<BR><BR>I am not "anxious to spout off about things I know nothing about" but am passing on both facts and valid hearsay. I've spent over 7 months total in Puerto Vallarta and do know the town fairly well.<BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 09:55 AM
just back

Brendan, drove by the Blue Bay when we were there in June and the Adult only property looks very nice from the outside. The one that accepts families looked like a dump!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 11:10 AM
Kellyann

Hi Kristen,<BR>Sounds like you got an earful for suggesting an A.I. vacation. A group of 18 of us went to P.V. last March and (dare I say it!)we stayed at the beautiful Allegro All Inclusive in the Nuevo Vallarta section. It was great to eat and drink whenever and spend all our time having fun rather than deciding when & where we were going to get our next meal. The buffet had plenty of choices and they also had two ala carte restaurants that were quite nice. The hotel next door was the Sierra Nuevo Vallarta which looked as nice as ours but they had a disco on the beach that was rocking every night and our disco was closed. We went into the town once and it's cute and quaint and you get the real Mexican flavor, but we were on vacation simply for R & R and to have fun. Our group is going to the Mexican Riviera this winter and we plan to stay at an all inclusive again.<BR>Have fun and enjoy your honeymoon whichever decision you make.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 11:48 AM
Mexican Riviera

Puerto Vallarta IS on the Mexican Riviera. Is that the area you're going back to? If so, where?

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:00 PM
geography

No it's not! Puerto Vallarta is on the Pacific coast. The Mexican Riviera, a name given the coast line from Cancun southward, is on the Caribbean sea.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:05 PM
Riviera

or is "Mayan Riviera" the phrase for the Cancun side?

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 03:00 PM
geography

I apologize, I looked around the net and did see the term Mexican Riveria to describe that Pacific coast area. I'm sorry I'd never heard that term used (in 10+ years of traveling around that area).<BR><BR>Now I'm curious where Kellyann and her gang are really going???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -