Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Aerolineas Agrentina - How frequent are 2+ hour delays?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling from El Calafate back to BA on the same day as our return flight to the US. There is a flight that arrives BA (Pistarini) at 6pm. Our flight to the US departs at 9:45pm. Normally, I would have no hesitation to book this flight. It is ample time to allow for some delay, but I keep reading on this Board of the notorious delays. LAN is not an option -- the 5:30 am flight down from BA holds zero interest. There are other AA flights earlier in the day from Calafate to BA but they are either booked at the lower airfare or have stops and take 2x as long. So, what's the over/under -- are we taking a real risk that an almost 4 hour layover won't be enough time?
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM

I wouldn't risk it, AmyH.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 01:52 PM

No way!
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 05:07 AM

A couple of weeks ago we were booked to fly on AA Mendoza to BA and we had six hours between that flight and our flight back home to Canada. Bearing in mind we also had to change airports, we were thinking six hours would be just right. Our AA flight was delayed SIX hours! No flights on LAN were available so we missed our international flight home and had a devil of a time getting back to Canada. If I were to do it again, I would ensure I was back in BA the day before my international flight.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

I was afraid this would be the reaction One more question, if I might. Can one check in on AA all they way through to the US (American Airlines) when in El Calafate? I am trying to understand the process at EZE when we land from a domestic flight and need to check in internationally.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Not my area of expertise, AmyH, but if what you want to do is check your luggage in El Calafate and pick it up in the US without touching it again, I believe it probably cannot be done, among other things because Aerolíneas and AA use different terminals in our international airport.

Of course, Aerolíneas should be able to answer the question. Their toll free number in the US is:
1-800-333-0276
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 03:00 PM

"I am trying to understand the process at EZE when we land from a domestic flight and need to check in internationally."

AmyH-
We arrived at EZE three hours before our scheduled 10 P.M. Aerolineas departure for Miami, and it was barely enough time given the confusing, chaotic departure process and lack of directions or anyone to ask. We barely made it to our departure gate on time only to learn that the gate had been changed and the announcement was made ONLY in Spanish.

BTW, our flight to Miami was delayed another two hours.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 09:42 PM

We had lots of delays on Aerolineas last month. As with the others, I wouldn't risk it. Had it not been for fast thinking (and tough talking!) by our travel agent (Isabel of Buenos Aires Tours) we would have missed our connecting flight from EZE to Salta and been stuck overnight in BA.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks All. We reversed our trip and are starting out by going straight to El Calafate for 3 night and then ending in BA for 5 nights. No point ending the trip stressing out about connections. We can spend a nice full day on Sunday in BA -- markets or maybe a polo match and then go to the airport. Although DH could not believe that almost 4 hours would not be enough time, he agreed with changing the itinerary.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 04:03 PM

I am very anal retentive about getting to airports very early before a flight - like 2.5 hours early. I don't care if I'm only going NYC to Chicago I get there EARLY. My friend and I got into a big fight about it right before we left for BA this summer. Thankfully, my planning early was acceptable and we had plenty of time at JFK. So we left BA 4 hours before our international flight and barely got on. There were hundreds of teenagers on some teen tour thing, along with hundreds of other people crowded into customs/immigration at EZE. It took over 2.5 hours to get through the security area!! At EZE they also let the entire family stand in front of the area where you go to get into the customs line so it's a total mess and you feel like you are on the floor during a sold-out concert at Madison Square Garden. I love Argentina and BA, but EZE is a nightmare. You are doing the right thing by reversing the trip. Enjoy BA, it's fabulous!