Activities in Zihuatanejo

May 19th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Activities in Zihuatanejo

My fiancee and I are trying to plan our honeymoon, and after several "false starts", we think that we have decided on Mexico. I am leaning toward Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa for relaxation, and he is leaning toward the Riveria Maya, in a large part for the vicinity to the Mayan ruins. We would likely stay in a smaller hotel; while aware of some of the benefits of larger, all-inclusive resorts, we like the more personal atmosphere of smaller places.

My main question is if there are ruins to visit around the Zihua area? We have a decent amount of time (11-12 days/nights), so we don't mind a long day trip or even something overnight. Sorry for the long-windedness of the post; I thought it might help to give a little background info before putting forth the question!
May 19th, 2004, 04:02 PM

To my knowledge, there are no ruins in the Z area. Not too much to do in the Ixtapa/Z area. Kinda reminded me of a retirement village. It may be what you want from a honeymoon - you decide. Its a big fishing place.
May 19th, 2004, 06:46 PM

Wanda is right. Not much nearby as far as sightseeing stuff.

The nearest ruin is Tzintzuntzan, near Morelia, but it's not particularly impressive and not worth going out of the way for.

If ruins are what you're after, you're better off in the Yucatan, or around Mexico City --- those two areas are where you find the best clusters and the best sites.

Have fun!
Mark
May 19th, 2004, 08:44 PM

I depends what you want to see and do on your honeymoon trip.

Ixtapa is a tourist place with beachfront hotels and lots of little shopping places across the street from the hotel zone.
You can take a trip to Ixtapa Island, this is a 50 cent bus ride and then a $3.00 water taxi ride.

There are some pretty nice restaurant with a terrific view of the Ixtapa sunset and then the lights of Ixtapa Bay.

Zihuatanejo is a quaint Mexican town ,where most of the people live that work in Ixtapa.

In Zihautanejo Bay there are five beaches in a big arc but only three of the beaches offer you the opportunity to lay around and tan.
You can walk along a nice stone /concrete pathway (Quay) from downtown Playa Principal to Playa Madera to Playa La Ropa.

To get to Playa las Gatas, you pay $3.00 for a water taxi ride across the bay, and here you can just sit and relax, snorkel , tan and have a drink while you look out across the Bay to the town of Zihuatanejo.

Also from las Gatas you can take a nice walk (about 15-18 minutes ) to the El Faro lighthouse, the views from here are terrific as you view Ixtapa Bay.

I can tell you how to get to the lighthouse if you want.

There are some nice quaint tourist towns to visit like Troncones, and also Petetlan,,this place has a very nice white church which dominates the town landscape..but it is hotter here than in Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo..

Also you can take a short tour to Barra de Potassi

The little twin cities of Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo gives you the best of both worlds and they are about 20 minutes apart by bus.

If you want to take an all day trip ..then Acapulco is only 150 miles away with good bus services and/or hire a private tour guide.

Another full day trip is to Taxco , "The Silver Capital "of the work.
Lots of silver in this place , but then there is lots of silver in Petetlan ,which is only about 45 minutes away from Zihuatanejo.

Now if you want to see ruins , then you might as well go to Mayan Riveria and see the ruins at Tulum (nearby) and then go to Chichenitza,after seeing these two places you will have your fill of ruins.

Hope this helps a bit.
Percy

May 20th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the honest and helpful replies. I think that with the amount of time we have, it might make more sense for us to stay somewhere around Tulum. I think I could be lazy for at least a month without getting bored, but I know my FI will be disappointed if we don't do a little more exploring! I guess we'll save Z for an anniversary trip...
May 20th, 2004, 07:51 AM

The other possibility is to split your vacation into 2 destinations. We usually try to do that - I get bored if I'm on a beach for more than a week and I usually want to see something else. I loved Zihuatanejo - it was probably one of the nicer beach destinations, but it's true that there's nothing really close. However, there is an airport - you could fly there for a few days, then fly back to Mexico City or somewhere else for the rest of the trip. That's what I would do.
Jun 14th, 2004, 11:45 AM

percy said that Petetlan is only about 45 minutes away from Zihuatanejo. How do you get there? I wanted to go to Taxco, but after researching the bus options (having to 1st go through Acapulco OR Mex. city) I don't think I'd make it there and back all in one day....Do you know of private buses/tours that'll bring you RIGHT to Taxco? How long of a direct drive would that be, if anyone knows. Thanks.
Jun 14th, 2004, 06:02 PM

To go to Petetlan , you can go on a small tour,or you can take the bus right from downtown Zihuatanejo.

If you take the bus, the bus driver will drop you off at a junction on the highway and then you take another bus to Petetlan.
If you insist on going to Taxco via a tour ,you might as well stay there over night.
The town is nice to visit and walk the streets.
You want to see narrow street.!?
Go to Taxco.

Don't even think of driving from Zihuatanejo to Taxco and back in one day. !!!

Percy