Acapulco

Oct 4th, 2019, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Acapulco

I now have a day in Acapulco off of a cruise, instead of Costa Rica. Of course everyone is freaked out by the Level 4 "Do Not Travel" warning. I think many are just going to stay on the ship when it's in port.

For anyone who has actually traveled in Guerrero or follows the news (not people who just go to Puerto Vallarta, for example), what is your opinion about arranging a tour to a nature reserve or the botanic garden, or just walking to the zocalo? Is Uber a good option there?

Thanks in advance.
Oct 4th, 2019, 05:30 AM

30 years ago... Acapulco was the place to go, and so did we. That said, we are all well aware of the city’s reputation today but a friend of ours ( single retired lady) spent the longest part of winter in the city and reported nothing out of the ordinary except sunshine and fun. I doubt very much that you would encounter any problems visiting offshore, especially on a booked tour. It also seems that Acapulco is very busy with European and Mexican tourists abound... Go !
Oct 4th, 2019, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback.
Oct 4th, 2019, 07:19 AM

Let us know what you end up doing. I went to Acapulco two years in a row about 10-11 years ago but I've had it off my list for awhile now due to the reports of the narco stuff.
Oct 5th, 2019, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Will do. Unfortunately there is no Uber in Acapulco. Still casting around to find an independent guide.

Apparently the water will be too shallow at the Costa Rica port for NCL's two new mega-ships.

NCL's reply to some of the panicked guests "we'd never intentionally put you in harm's way".

Okay, then there is unintentionally.
Nov 19th, 2019, 06:40 AM

I did see a gunfight, right in front of the car I was riding in (first and only timem I saw this) in downtown Acapulco but that was in the late 80s, and at night; I could see the gun light up at the bullet exit point. Surreal!! !!!

I would have no hesitation in going but not sure what attraction the Zocalo would be. Maybe choose an upscale hotel and pay to use the pool for the day. And certainly the reserve and garden should be fine. I'd just take a taxi if you cannnot find a guide. Are you in port long enough to see the divers at La Quebrada, if they still do that spectacle?

Not sure what it is like now, but Pueerto Marques, just to the souoth by taxi, was a pretty beach withh calm water, again, my trips, and there were many since I was a kid, were a long time ago and there is now a Camino Real Hotel (maybe the name has changed since I stayed there in the late 80s) at Puerto Marquez.

Why not look at TAdvisor hotel reviews and forums?
Nov 24th, 2019, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

The Central area is fine, the government has all sorts of military around. It was Sunday so full of families. We went to the 3 Palos Lagoon and a too brief walk in the Botanic Garden. Walked around the beach to the end with the local fishing boats. Nice looking beaches and resorts farther south if that's your thing.
Nov 24th, 2019, 10:32 PM

I'm glad you had a good time, mlgb. I was in Acapulco three years ago. I felt uncomfortable. But, hey, American Airlines is resuming service there in December for the first time in years.
Nov 24th, 2019, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

I was talking to one of the military guards at the cruise port. He said that it is "tranquillo" during the day, with the big push to promote tourism. Maybe not the place to walk around dark alleys at night.

A lot of the cruise passengers refused to get off the ship. But I talked to a couple who booked a private tour from one of the official type guides near the port and it was fine.

I believe the Norwegian Cruise LIne Holdings lines are the main ones that stop there.

Last edited by mlgb; Nov 24th, 2019 at 10:43 PM.
Nov 25th, 2019, 06:39 PM

That;s interesting, mlgb. Thanks for the info.I was just looking at an online cruise schedule. Puerto Vallarta will receive 22 cruise ships in December; Acapulco will receive two. I find that very telling.But good for you for being a pioneer.
Nov 26th, 2019, 04:47 AM

Well that makes Acapulco a LOT more inviting to me than PV!! Acapulco has been a resort for decades and decades.......how can someone visiting there be called a pioneer? (???) I would not hesitate to go there, even though I do not like the swimming from the main hotel strip...
Nov 26th, 2019, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

I guess we were sort of pioneerish in actually getting off the ship! We used the ship's excursion since we couldn't find a birding tour guide. It wound up costing us very little after some OBC and including the drive as far as Barra Vieja . After the tour we walked around the Zocalo and the beach within site of the ship for an hour. We were going to go visit the Fort but by then it was just too hot for me and I called it. I tried to go up to the Fort before our tour but it wasn't open early enough.. Apparently there is a nice museum as well as vendors up there and they've built a ramp and have an elevator which may or may not work...
Fort San Diego

Last edited by mlgb; Nov 26th, 2019 at 06:14 AM.
Nov 26th, 2019, 06:37 AM

You misunderstand my use of "pioneer," ekscrunchy. Acapulco was Mexico's original beach resort, a glamorous place visited by the rich and famous. It hasn't been that in a long time. Visitor numbers have declined markedly due to drug-related violence. The majority of tourists these days are from elsewhere in Mexico. International tourists are mostly gone. I'd love to see Acapulco make a comeback, It has a stunning setting and it is such a part of Mexico's tourist history. It would be wonderful if foreign visitors could pioneer that trend. I was there three years ago, in fact, working on an assignment for Fodor's. I was relieved to get on the plane and go home. If things are looking up these days, that can only be good news.
Nov 26th, 2019, 10:48 AM

I see the new American Airlines service will start Dec. 21 and will operate twice a week, Tuesdays and Saturdays, from DFW Airport. The planes will be smaller American Eagle aircraft. I assume AA has done market research and determined there is a demand, so that's good to hear. AA's press release at the time of the announcement did say that it expected the passengers to be a mix of tourism and the family-friends market.

Last edited by Jeff_Costa_Rica; Nov 26th, 2019 at 10:53 AM.
Nov 26th, 2019, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

We were still disappointed to miss Costa Rica as were most passengers. Apparently the port in CR is now too shallow for Bliss due to some silting during a flood event earlier in the year.

A lot of people were not happy with Bliss since they were still advertising the itinerary as including CR (and a daylight Panama Canal transit) until a month before the cruise. Surely someone is capable of reading tide charts much farther in advance?

Last edited by mlgb; Nov 26th, 2019 at 11:14 AM.
Nov 26th, 2019, 02:00 PM

Thanks, Jeff! I've been in Acapulco when it was a semi "Jet-setty place, when I was a kid in the late 60s/early 70s, and have visited many times since then but have not been back in awhile. Used to go for holidays with family and stay at the Pierre Marques, on Revolcadero Beach when Las Brisas was the hot spot and the Princess hotel--the one with golf courses shaped like giant pyramids--who knows what it is called now. All these were south of the hotel strip and the main town.

When I lived in Mexico during the latter half of the 80s, it had gone downhill but was still ok although Zihuatenejo was a personal favorite. So you might say I was the pioneer! Never minding my own story, I would certainly go back but would prefer other parts of Mexico since I no longer seek out beach vacations in Mexico. I feel terrible for the people of Guerrero and what they have been through in recent years and I am not just speaking of Acapulco. Let's hope it gets better for all of them.

I think the city is still pretty popular with international tourists, given the activity on the TA forums. And the big Mexican tennis tourney will be held there in 2020. Take a look at this; Acapulco certainly seems to have plenty of present-day foreign fans.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...fic_Coast.html

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Nov 26th, 2019 at 02:08 PM.