Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Aarrgghh! Going in circles - HELP! Tamarindo or MA for final leg of trip??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love reading the forums in preparation of my trip, but every time I think I have a plan, I read something that makes me second guess myself! We're a family of four - kids aged 13 and 14. We'll be in CR for 9 nights the first week of August. Like about all first-timers it seems, we're visiting Arenal first. From there I'm stumped!

I was hooked on Osa and Bosque del Cabo. Now I'm thinking my wife will need to work up to that one. Her one request was that she have some "down time" towards the end of the trip.

I now can't decide between Tamarindo (Capitan Suizo) and Manuel Antonio (La Posada). About the time I decide on one, I read negative about it! I've read that MA is getting too touristy, and Tamarindo is a spring-break party town with drug problems. Considering the time of year we're going, and some of us want relaxation while others still desire adventures with wildlife, what's my best bet? Is Tamarindo too far removed from wildlife? Is MA losing its appeal?

Thank you for any and all opinions!

Steve
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:21 AM

My personal opinion is that, with just 9 days, I think you will be adding additional stress (as opposed to de-stressing..) by trying to squeeze in another destination for "down-time".

I know we talk about BdC in terms of being an unspoiled "jungle" but it's far from being living out a "Survivor" episode. My husband isn't a big hiker and by the end of our trip, he was quite content hanging out at the cabina with a good book, a nap here and there and maybe a dip in the pool and an afternoon cocktail... It's a truly peaceful area and the porches with their rocking chairs and hammocks are lovely. If it's down-time you need, you can certainly get it there.

If, however, what your wife *really* wants is "pampering" then I would suggest doing the Osa first. In Arenal, you can always spend a few days at someplace like AOL and then maybe move over to someplace like Lost Iguana or even Tabacon for a night or two; they both have nice spas, hot pools, air conditioning, etc.

Btw, I personally don't get this "for a first-timer.." type of advice, as if you're sort of obligated to do what everybody else does just because you've never been there. You should consider your travel style and your needs and plan accordingly -- and if there's something about your plan that doesn't work (such as transfers, for instance), then others can advise you on how to fix it.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:33 AM

Just to clarify... I just meant (in my last paragraph) that you shouldn't go to Arenal first just because that's what all "first-timers" do!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Sumi - Thanks for your reply. I guess I wasn't very clear - I'm replacing BdC, not trying to squeeze in another destination. Sorry about that! I definitely want to do Arenal, not because we're first-timers, but for the volcano and activities.

Our 9 nights will be split between Arenal, then either Tamarindo or MA. Although I know I won't find Osa type wildlife at either place, I am trying to go somewhere where we can have both R&R and wildlife/activities.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 05:48 AM

We have never been to MA or Tamarindo, so don't know what they are like. But we found Bosque to be VERY peaceful and relaxing, yet energizing all at the same time. You can sit on your porch with a book and watch monkeys swinging through, or you can do an excursion for some excitement. Even hiking the trails on the property can be relaxing, because you go at a slow pace (you don't want to scare the wildlife), although some trails are more hilly and challenging. The only negative about Bosque is that even though you can get to the beach there, it is not a 'hang out on the beach' type of place. We absolutely loved it there.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

I guess my only concern about BdC is the potential for rain in August. It's very expensive, so I'd hate to get stranded and not be able to enjoy the place to its fullest. Am I being paranoid?
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:19 AM

We went in March, so can't help you there. I know what you mean about second guessing yourself. It is so exciting to plan a trip to CR because there are so many options, but sometimes it can be overwhelming. There are so many helpful people on this forum, you will get it figured out. I am sure others will fill you in on MA and Tamarindo.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:47 AM

Ah, ok, I get it.

I honestly don't think you're going to get "stranded" anywhere during the first week of August but I'm sure others who have been to BdC in late July/early August will have better info.

I also want to say something here about "rain" in CR. We were there in February and had 5 not-a-cloud-in-the-sky days in the Osa but 2 days of totally gray drizzling/raining days in Arenal. We white-water rafted, hiked, ziplined in the rain and it really didn't affect us or our enjoyment of the actvities at all. If anything, the clouds kept us cool and un-sunburned.

All in all, keep in mind that you're not going to "lose" anything by choosing the Osa or Tamarindo or MA -- I think you and your family will have a great time in ANY of these places. People on these forums love to make sweeping definative statements ("don't go to Tamarindo, it's dirty, full of drugs and polluted...&quot but, as you can see from the differing posts, a LOT of people have very different experiences.

That said, I think MA *is* a national park for a reason and will not disappoint in terms of wildlife. I also doubt that it will be "crowded" in August (again, it's all relative.)
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:27 AM

We always travel in July and have had much more rain in Manuel Antonio and Arenal than we had in the Osa. It's really just the luck of the draw, but we didn't get any rain when we stayed at Bosque del Cabo, but we got afternoon showers every day in MA and Arenal. If you can fit it into your schedule, you could do a final night at the Peace Lodge - that's a wonderful spot for recovering and relaxing - gorgeous with 5 beautiful waterfalls on the property, hammocks, jacuzzi, waterfall shower, tub, etc. And it's only an hour from the SJO airport. If I had to pick between the Osa and MA, I'd definitely go with the Osa just because it's so special and undeveloped, but MA is really easy to get around and offers loads of restaurant options. MA is extremely popular with families who want things to be "easy."
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks volcanogirl. I'm finding out that it's not going to be much cheaper to stay at MA than BdC, considering BdC included meals. Who knows - I'll probably change my mind 3 more times before I actually book! I did, however, send an availability inquiry to Peace Lodge - looks like a great alternative to staying in SJ since our return flight isn't until 12:30.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:28 AM

Oh, great - you would love the Peace Lodge. I hope it all works out for you guys. If you're interested, the Peace Lodge has an aviary, butterfly house, ranarium, serpentarium, etc.; we did the nocturnal frog tour, and it was quite fun. You also can hand feed the hummingbirds at certain times of day; the hummingbird garden is amazing. Have fun!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:08 PM

This has been an interesting thread. Just a couple of comments:

Tamarindo is not the place for your family if you have any interest at all in the kind of wildlife that exists in the jungle. It is a very built up beach town, it is a surfing mecca, drugs and alcohol are definitely rampant. It is not uncommon to see someone passed out on the street with any and everyone stepping right over him.

We still go there. We have a couple of favorite restaurants, we use the internet cafe there, and I sometimes like to browse the many (and ever increasing) shops. But I wouldn't consider giving up 3-4 days there with a couple of teenagers when one of our goals as a family is to enjoy nature and wildlife.

Regarding weather, it is very possible you can have lots of rain on the Osa in August. Certainly. And in Manuel Antonio. Chances are it would just be nighttime rains (usually heavy) and brief afternoon showers. Or you could darned well have a deluge. I'd check with BdC as to what is most typical for early August and then make my decision. Two or three posters telling you THEIR experience in August won't give you the big "most likely" picture.

Also, there is good reason it is nearly always dry in February on the Osa. It's the dry season and the Osa definitely follows the dry season/rainy season pattern. Arenal, on the other hand, is in a different climate zone and can be rainy any old time. More unpredictable.

Also, don't book just one night at Peace Lodge and have to head for the airport the next a.m. by 8:30 or so (you need to plan on the 3 hour pre-flight time). Peace Lodge is too expensive if you can't at least stay until check-out time! Of course, that's entirely up to you, but I do thing your entire family would benefit more by 2 nights there--time to really enjoy the magnificent bungalows and the beautiful property! It would just kill me to pay that much at such a lush property and spend all my time out trying to make sure I saw and did all the neat things and not have time to hang out some on those gorgeous verandahs in the jacuzzi or hammock! Just my dos colones. . .

I'd suggest Arenal (doesn't matter whether you are a first timer or not, this is a great area for families and a don't miss, my opinion) for 3 nights, Bosque del Cabo or MA for 3-4 nights, and Peace Lodge for 2 nights.

Now, NOT NECESSARILY IN THAT ORDER! Logistically, you'd do well to start out at Bosque del Cabo (first flight out your second morning). Then Arenal for 3 nights. You can fly for drive; it's an easy drive. Last 2 nights with great downtime at Peace Lodge. You can easily get to the airport on time for your departure.
AND, no matter what your arrival time, you can rest up before starting your Osa adventure.

If you choose Manuel Antonio, it would make sense to rent a car and drive, following basically the same itinerary. Very easy travel between SJO and MA, MA and Arenal, Arenal and Peace Lodge, Peace Lodge and airport. All roads are, for the most part, decent.

You don't need a vehicle so much in MA, but it would come in very handy at Arenal (plenty of taxis available, though). Perhaps you'd prefer a private driver or domestic flight with the MA option.

Think it over--it will come together in a way that makes great sense for you and your family. It's a process and always requires a little fine-tuning. Enjoy!

What time are you arriving? That will make a difference. If it is late in the day, you'll need to overnight near the airport.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:11 PM

Ignore the last paragraph. It was a comment from an earlier thought that didn't get deleted! True, but unnecessary at this point. . . .it could be okay for travel to Manuel Antonio, but too late in the day for a flight to BdC.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply shillmac - lots of great information. I've finally got an itinerary...

* Our flight gets in at 11:45AM. Drive to Arenal and stay at Lost Iguana for 3 nights.

* Go to MA and stay at either Si Como No or Costa Verde for 4 nights.

* Peace Lodge for 2 nights. Our flight leaves at 12:30PM, so we won't have to be rushed on our departure day.

I originally had 4 nights at Arenal, but I think now it would be best to trade one of those days for an extra at Peace Lodge. Sure, we'll have to pay the big bucks for an additional night, but a whole day there will be nice.

Now my hardest decision is whether to stay at Si Como No or Costa Verde. I actually have tentative reservations at each, and can't really go wrong either way, but am leaning towards Si Como No.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:03 PM

Sounds like an excellent plan and you sound satisfied with your decisions. That's what counts--when that "this is right for us" feeling comes along.

You'll be very happy with your extension at Peace Lodge, I believe.

Can't help you MUCH with your dilemma at Manuel Antonio, but we have stayed at both hotels.

Si Como No is a bit more of a deluxe property. It has 2 very good restaurants. We particularly like the Cafe Rico Tico for lunch. The rooms are more, shall we say, decorated. The views are nice. We had a sloth in a tree right outside our balcony. We were thrilled! And, the price reflects the quality of the rooms. If that is important to you, this would be a good choice.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a way to save a few dollars without compromising your experience, go with Costa Verde. The Studio Plus rooms are plainer, but the views are even better than those at SCN. There are 2 double beds, or maybe queens, in each room. You can probably save about $300 total by choosing CV.

SCN also has a very nice gift shop with internet that you will want to visit even if you stay at Costa Verde.

Hope this helps a bit! Let's see, we'll be in Manuel Antonio in August as well--first week, arriving August 5. We'll be at Peace Lodge the 3rd and 4th. Perhaps our paths will cross at Manuel Antonio. Look for youthful grandparents with a 3 year old granddaughter in tow! And I'll keep my eyes peeled for a couple of happy looking teenagers and their equally excited parents!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 09:07 PM

Sounds like a good plan; we love the Lost Iguana too.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! My hidden agenda will be to get my family hooked, then next year I'll get my trip to Osa!
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:34 AM

You can have your cake and eat it too.

You could start in Arenal, go to Manuel Antonio, fly from MA/Quepos to Puerto Jimenez (Osa), then fly back to San Jose. You could also go to Arenal, Osa, and then fly to Quepos. Nature Air has an early morning flight from PJ to Quepos.

At this time Tamarindo really isn't the kind of place I would take a family to. The water quality is really under serious question with polution. If you just want to see the difference in the beaches in the northern area compared to elsewhere, Flamingo beach is a pretty beach and the Flamingo Beach Resort is very family oriented. From there you could easily take a day and visit Tamarindo for a few hours.

As far as the Peace Lodge goes, it is an amazing place. If you can't get there before noon on the day you arrive, I would definitely try to allow 2 nights. We found the clouds that moved in for the afternoon to be kind of fun. They always seemed to clear out for night time and early morning. Do have a rain jacket if only for the mist that could come in and for the spray from the waterfalls.

I have been visiting Bosque del Cabo for years now and I am never bored. Look at their activity list. From waterfall rapelling to visiting the animal sanctuary, learning to surf, riding horses, hiking, kayaking, fishing....not to mention the wonderful hidden massage area under the forest canopy. We learn so much every time we go out in the forest with Philip. Nature never sits still so his guided hike is never the same. Then there is the pool and the wonderful view of the ocean from your cabina. Every day would be different. One day the trees would be full of monkeys in front of us, next day the toucans would come around. We have had coatis come visit. The scarlet macaws are unbelievable.

With only 9 nights I would try to limit your trip to 3 places and maybe a night at Peace Lodge if you can get there early in the day. If you get there before check in you can leave your stuff with them and start to enjoy the place. We allowed 2 nights just to be able to fit in all the showers and jacuzzies in the deluxe room.

If you don't mind having to pack and unpack every other day you could fit in one more. Doesn't quite fit in with "down time" though.

For planning purposes do keep in mind that the airport still recommends that you arrive 3 hours before flight time plus it is an hour drive from Peace Lodge to the airport. Most of the time you don't need the 3 hrs, I went through the stamp purchase, check in and security, in 45 mins just a couple of weeks ago. There is always a chance of a problem with the check in system so just to be safe I still allow more time.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:43 AM

On our last trip, we could only get one day in at the Peace Lodge; our flight was arriving fairly early, so I thought it was fine. Well, our flight was delayed, and then we faced a huge 2-hour line upon arrival at customs/immigration. We didn't get to the Peace Lodge until 4:00, and we rushed around to see all the exhibits, which closed at 5:00. We did the nocturnal frog tour, and then we got up at 5:30a.m. to hike the falls! It was kind of crazy, but it was fun because it wasn't open to the public yet, and we had the entire place to ourselves. We left at 8:30a.m. to make our flight. We're going back this summer and allowing two days just so we can have downtime and relax.

travel, if you have time Poas volcano is close by and would make a good stop for you. Go early a.m. for the best chance to see the volcano.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Well, it's all final with reservations. I tried to squeeze in a few days at BdC, but in the end felt we'd be too rushed. Plus, the transportation expenses really started to add up. I'll have to save it for a future trip.

Finalized itinerary: Arenal Lost Iguana 3 nights, MA Si Como No 5 nights, Peace Lodge 1 night. I couldn't get Peace Lodge for 2 nights, so I extended the MA stay - I think I may do some fishing. We'll get to Peace Lodge early, and we have an afternoon flight the next day, so I think we'll have enough time there.

Next challenge - finding a good rate on a car rental. But that's another topic!

Thanks so much for everyone's input and suggestions!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -