Search

a day in Cozumel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a day in Cozumel

We are docking in Cozumel this weekend (from a cruise) for the day. We are a family of 4 (a 7 & 10 y/o) and want to avoid the touristy excursions. We were looking at Chankanaab National Park. Any recommendation on this or other sites.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:39 AM

Visit El Mercado the community market a few blocks back from the docks. Its a wonderful place for people watching and pictures.

Rent a car and make the loop around to the wild side of the island. Rugged beauty and isolated beaches.

Keith
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:55 AM

Have not been to Chankanaab, so don't know whether or not it is touristy. Keith is right about renting a car and driving to the other side of the island - it is beautiful. Just don't swim in the open beach areas - rough surf. There is a restaurant on that side called Coconuts, and they have a little sheltered swimming area.

If your family likes to snorkel, you could book an excursion to the Palancaar Reef for snorkeling. There are probably several to choose from - there should be some that don't involve large groups of people.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 04:24 PM
TC

Not sure if the road around the island is open. I read a few weeks ago that it had collapsed. You would definately NOT want to go to Coconuts. It is overrun by loud drunken tourists taken inmass there from the cruise ships. Not a place for a 7 & 10 year old. El Mercado is a nice "farmers market". Chankanaab will have a lot of tourists. The cruise ships take lots of people there. But it is still a nice place with kids. Would you consider the dolphin program with them? There is one where young children can be in the water with parents and the dolphins to learn and just touch gently. Not sure how you feel about this. Some people are very apposed. Might look into the glass bottom boat or sub excursion. I think Palancar reef is too much for young children unless they are quite comfortable in the water. The reef is deep, so could be difficult to see much unless they are quite focused.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 04:38 AM

In two visits to Coconuts, I haven't encountered loud drunken tourists taken inmass there from the cruise ships.

I didn't see anyone drunk there. Since it closes at 5PM, they would need to get an early start.

Keith
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM
TC

Honestly Keith, Coconuts used to be one of our favorite places to spend an afternoon, but this past February (we spend every Feb in Cozumel) it was shoulder-to-shoulder there. One of the ATV round-the-island cruise ship tours filled the place to overflowing and I've never seen so many <i>drunk-in-the-middle-of-the-day</i> people. I was thoroughly glad that we were on the road and they were still sitting and drinking. It was something we hadn't seen in previous years.