7 nights in one location--but want to stay active

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just starting my research for a family trip to CR. Four grandchildren--youngest 15. Ten of us total. We don't want to sit on the beach. This is our first time to CR, but have taken many family trips together. We will hire a driver.

My question is this: Is it possible to stay at one location for all 7 nights, and take day trips? Or, would it be too much driving everyday? I get the feeling from reading many posts that we shouldn't try to move around too much. We are looking at June as soon as the youngest is finished with school. The other three are in college.

Thanks
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 09:30 AM

I would do two locations with 7 days. From your description, I think you should go to Arenal for one of them. We love it there - you can see the active volcano which is amazing and also partake in loads of adventure activities. You can do the Cano Negro tour with Sunset Tours to see wildlife, visit the natural hot springs like Eco Termales or Tabacon, zipline at Sky Trek, go white water rafting with Rios Tropicales, hike the Hanging Bridges, hike to the bottom of a gorgeous waterfall and swim there - it's a great spot.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Volcanogirl,

I really appreciate your advice. I went to AAA the other day, and by chance talked to an agent that is leaving on a tourist promotional trip 5 October. I will talk to her when she gets back. I am becoming more, and more excited as I continue research. The three grandsons are going to love all these tours.

If i go to Arenal and Manuel Antontio only, do I need a tour co. such as odyssey, or do I hire a driver to reach these two places, and then arrange tours from there. After looking at lodging, I see that many arrange their own tours. Paying for ten makes me somewhat cost conscious. Which way is cheaper? Which works better?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 01:55 PM

No, you don't need to hire a tour company; it's very easy to book everything yourself. You can hire a driver through your hotels when you book them or look for a recommendation on the boards. We like Carlos Bogarin [email protected] is his e-mail. His website is www.destinos-encantados.com. You can book tours once you get to your hotels or you can book them ahead of time online. Check the online price and then check with your hotel and just go with whichever is cheaper. What a great grandma you are to do this for your family!
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 03:43 PM

I would go to Arenal and Manuel Antonio too. Getting from one to the other will take some time. There is a bus company that does nothing but make the rounds from one hotel to another and one area to another. I don't know the name but we met people who did that and we drove. We ran into them everywhere. You can book tours from your hotel. I would pick the area/s you want to stay in, then the hotel and check out the hotel websit for the tours offered. A call to the hotel of choice may be able to give you the name of the bus company or tour company who shuttles people from area to area. 10 people in a hire car????? Short distances can take hours to drive in Costa Rica. Allow lots of travel time between areas.
Have fun and keep your eyes wide open for all of the wild life!
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 04:18 PM

The service you're mentioning is Interbus. The hired cars are vans, so check to see how many people they will hold. Usually with a big group, it's better to hire private transport.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your advice.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:21 AM

I agree that you should not stay in one place for 7 days but am unsure with that time line that going to Manuel Antonio (MA) is realistic. It is a 5 hour drive from Arenal to MA - the drive with a driver is an experience - you get to see so much along the day but it does take up a good part of the day. If you fly into SJO on day one then after getting luggage and driving 3 hours to Arenal, most of the day is accounted for. Basically if going to MA you will have 3 days of part of your days traveling. Perhaps there is somewhere else closer to Arenal?

While in Arenal you should use Desaio to book some tours - they are awesome, we used them for white water rafting! CR is an AMAZING place!

You can read more of my detailed reviews and watch a video I made of my time there at: www.hollywoodwannab.blogspot.com -- scroll down some and you will see my CR stuff! good luck. PURA VITA
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:24 AM

jorda, if you go from Arenal to MA, be sure to stop at the Rio Tarcoles bridge - there are huge crocs that hang out under the bridge, about 15 or so when we saw them. It's neat to see.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate all of your help. I'm going to start a new thread to see if I can get some suggestions of what to combine with Arenal. Thanks again.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM

Another good combination with Arenal is the Caribbean lowlands, La Selva area, Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui. BUT you give up the beach time with that one.

I'm a big fan of Arenal/Manuel Antonio combinations for 7-8 days. You experience a BIG piece of Costa Rica with those choices. The transfer time can certainly be part of the experience: stopping at the Rio Tarcoles, stopping at this or that little soda or gift shop. It's all a part of the fun and, IMHO, doesn't detract from the enjoyment. Especially with a driver to give interesting information during the transfers!