5/27 Report: Just Returned from CR Last Night

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our first trip to CR (one week) and my first trip report. I hope it’s helpful to those planning a visit—at least partially as helpful as this forum was to our planning. Thank you all for your helpful posts. And thank you, ticos, for your hospitality.

I’ll try to hit highlights; I’m happy to offer more information on specific points.

5.19.07 Minneapolis to Liberia via Houston on Continental
Partner and I arrived 6:45pm, met by Luis from the B&B, El Punto, where we stayed our first and last nights in CR, due to its proximity to the airport and our late arrival/early departure. We had considered the Best Western, but this seemed like a much more colorful option: a refurbished schoolhouse, eccentrically decorated, and beautifully hosted by Mariana. We were very happy with the choice. We met up with other travelers who had the same idea and it was great to meet, head out on our week’s travels, then rejoin them a week later to compare notes. Aside from providing a unique experience (though right on the highway), El Punto is next door to a Supermercado Jumbo, with a grocery store, an ATM, Internet café, and a decent Italian restaurant, La Toscana. Very convenient to stock up on supplies before heading to other areas.

5.20.07 La Fortuna
Rented a car from National, which was an excellent experience all around. With a call from Mariana, National sent a shuttle to El Punto to pick us up. No hidden charges; exactly as quoted when booked online.

The drive to La Fortuna took 4 hours, including lunch at the touristy, unsatisfying, but very clean German Bakery around Nuevo Arenal, and about a half hour of being lost. Checked into El Silencio del Campo, which we now agree was a highlight of the trip. Lovely accommodations—despite the construction going on next door—and truly excellent service from Alex and the crew. The same family that owns El Silencio owns the nearby hot springs, Eco Termales. Alex made reservations for us and we went that evening: even though we were there the same time as a high school group, we still enjoyed the five different heated pools, drinks on the honor system, and the “tipico” dinner afterwards of chicken, beans, and rice. Other guests reported to us that they had the place to themselves the next night (benefits of going off-season!).

5.21.07 La Fortuna
Good breakfast at El Silencio. Arenal Hanging Bridges tour. Lunch in La Fortuna at La Choza de Laurel. Meandering drives around the area. Arenal was mostly in clouds throughout the visit. Walks around El Silencio property, then quiet time listening to the considerable afternoon rains. Dinner at Las Brasitas, next to La Choza. Kitschy, but satisfying “Volcano Rice.”

05.22.07-05.24.07 La Fortuna to Playa Hermosa
Woke up to a beautiful, clear view of Arenal. Breakfast at El Silencio, then checked out and drove a few kilometers to Eco Duoares, a lovely, quiet, mini-forest sanctuary. Since the weather and our energies did not allow for a hike up Arenal, this was a great consolation: Up-close views of frogs, birds, butterflies, and flora. Drove back to Liberia and it took only 3 hours this time, even getting stopped for a speeding ticket and doing the odd dance we had read about which ultimately ended with us paying the officer the fine directly (hated to) rather than driving back into Cañas the next day to go to court (would hate that more). Got supplies at the Jumbo then drove on to Playa Hermosa. After a little difficulty, found our hotel, Playa Hermosa Bosque del Mar. Playa Hermosa is beautiful. Bosque del Mar is great and slightly odd. I have much to say about it (read my separate post) but generally: the original rooms, built probably in the 70s, are not impressive (think Motel 6) but are footsteps from the beach. The newer section, completed only 3 months ago, aim for a Marriott experience and are quite beautifully designed and outfitted. At times, we had the entire beach to ourselves.

We found that the more touristy Playas del Coco, about 5 kilometers away, was a good place to get minor provisions, Internet access, and interesting lunch/coffee (Zuac Caf&eacute. But for the most part, it made us appreciate Playa Hermosa more, as Coco is quite crowded, lined with souvenir shops, and very dusty. Dinner down the street from Bosque at Ginger restaurant. Very good Asian-fusion.

05.25.07 Playa Hermosa to Liberia
After lounging at Bosque del Mar, drove the car back to the rental agency (stopping first at the airport to pay our departure tax, saving us time the next morning), then taking the agency shuttle back to El Punto for the last night. Dinner at La Toscana, where I’d confidently recommend the carbonara.

05.26.07 Liberia to Minneapolis
An early morning with breakfast goodies provided by El Punto and shuttle service in time for we travelers to make our 7:30 and 8:00 flights.

Other notes:
• though I thought being “careful” about drinking water was unnecessary, partner got violent case of traveler’s curse, me mildly. Glad we had prescription of Cipro with us.
• cell phone service was great throughout the trip
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Thanks for your report, ascoli! Sounds like you had a good time.

Sorry to hear about the 'travelers curse'. Maybe just unfortunate luck of the draw. My family wasn't particularly cautious about water consumption in Arenal or Manuel Antonio and luckily had no issues.

Interesting about the cell phone coverage as well. My brother took his phone (Sprint service) and never had a signal on our trip. You just never know about these things!

Thanks again for the report and welcome home!
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the welcome home! Turns out we had something beyond the usual "traveler's curse," but it was over in a day or so. As you say, you just never know! Wouldn't have changed a thing, however. (For the record, we're with T-Mobile.)
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 07:20 PM

ascoli -
Your itinerary sounds similar to mine (how many nights were you at the beach, and how many at Arenal?), do you think it would be possible to stay the night before departure in Playa Hermosa to catch an 8am flight out of Liberia? Don't mind waking up early, what time do we need to arrive at the airport?
Know your post is a bit older - hope u check in! Thanks
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 07:43 AM

Thanks for topping this report, which I missed before.

Keith