Search

4 wheel drive or not????

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 wheel drive or not????

We will be traveling extensively on the west coast of Costa Rica in February. Stops include Sarapiqui, Arenal, Monteverde, Dominical,
Tamarindo,Puerto Jiminez and Manual Antonio. We've been given different advice relative to the need for a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Some say definitely yes...others say not to worry. We'd like to hear from other experienced travelers on this issue before making a decision.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 11:50 AM

We did MA, Monteverde, and Arenal in June. There were 2 of us, and we got a Suzuki Grand Vitara. I guess I'd say we didn't really need the 4WD (we never used it), but I guess I'm glad we had the ground clearance of the 4WD. You've read about the roads around MV. That's where you'll need the ground clearance, altho you'll see plenty of locals driving around in their Toyota Corollas with no problem. I guess I'd spring for the extra hundred bucks or so to get the 4WD, just to be safe.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 01:28 PM

For Monteverde and Puerto Jimenez, I strongly recommend a 4x4 rental.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 01:59 PM

Same here--the clearance is helpful. We've gotten along several times with a sedan, but this summer we were on a few roads that I thought would have been awful without 4X4--Monteverde being one of them!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:52 AM

If you plan on visiting Puerto Jimenez plan on driving a 4WD- you might be able to make it to town without one but forget about venturing any futher south- even a few miles to the beach
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Sounds like we will definitely get a 4 wheel drive. Since there are 4 of us, which car would you recommend? We've been given quotes for by Hyundai compact and the Rav 4...but aren't sure if either of these is large enough for 4 with luggage.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:51 AM

You should be able to get luggage for four into a RAV 4--we did and we even had a jogging stroller in there too. Just pack light--you can always send laundry out while you're there.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 11:37 AM

A question for the road warriors -- I'm going to be leaving for CR on Monday. I'll primarily be on the beach but will be taking a couple days to drive up to Monteverde.

Any recommendations? I'll rent a 4x4 most likely. Which route is best to take? the turnoff at Canas or at Juntas?

Thanks!
K.