4-4-2005 costa rica pix on-line

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4-4-2005 costa rica pix on-line

i posted some of our photos from costa rica April 4-11,2005... go to:

http://mazul.photosite.com/Costa_Rica_4_6_2005/

i used only a point and shoot canon A80 digital camera. i wish i had taken a different camera and 300-400mm zoom lens. i could have taken some stunning photographs...oh well, there's my excuse to have to go back!

i havn't figured out, yet, how to label each photo, so....

1-59 are at bosque del cabo and el remanso eco-lodges on the osa peninsula.

60-150 are at arenal volcano, tabacon hot springs resort, la fortuna falls/cattle ranch, and arenal zip lines (sky tram/sky trek).

if a password is required, let me know.

for a trip report, go to:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...amp;dirtyBit=1

best,

keith and susan atkins
memphis

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 06:11 PM

Wow, what great pics Keith! You & and your wife look like you had a great time. Funny with her & the coconuts Especially love seeing the grounds at BdC, can't wait to see it in person. Where is that suspension bridge, will I run across it on one of the hikes?
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

hi tully,

when do you go?

the suspension bridge is about 100 meters from the BDC main grounds.

which cabina do you have?

get up early (5:30 a.m.) and walk 100 meters up the front driveway. you will likely see a troop of white faced monkeys swinging from tree to tree; also many exotic birds including macaws, toucans, montezumas, hummingbirds, etc....plus see and hear howler monkeys.

i look forward to hearing about your adventures.

best,

keith
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 06:37 PM

I'll be there May 17 - 22, 1 month to go! I don't know which cabina I'll have. It'll be a deluxe, but I asked Leo once which one but he didn't tell me. I'm sure they are all nice.

I will check out the suspension bridge, and also the stone ball on the grounds, looks interesting. I found on my last trip to CR that the day just left me whipped, so I will be early to bed, early to rise & will check out that area. Hopefully I will run across lots of frogs too. A red-eyed tree frog is a must for this trip!
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 08:39 PM

Tully, go on the night hike with Phillip. He'll be sure to find one for you! The night hike was a highlight for us.

Keith--will be checking out your photos in the a.m. It is late and has been a LONG day! Can't wait to see them. Thanks for posting them!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

tully and shillmac...

con mucho gusto !

tully: i saw a black and green poison dart frog early one morning while hiking around the BDC grounds. i walked about 250 meters down the front drive way and detoured to the left, climbing a 10 meter hill...there was no trail or marker, but the area was fairly open with new growth and a few secondary growth hardwoods mixed among the tropicals. the frog was at the base of a large (1 meter diameter) hardwood tree.

the frog was jet black with undulating, 4 or 5 narrow, bright green stripes running longitudinally from head to "tail". the frog was only about 2 or 3 cm. long and 1.5 cm wide. it was beautiful. it escaped to safety before i could get my camera out.

you will be thrilled with any of the deluxe cabinas at BDC.

are you taking a zoom or telephoto lens?

keith
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 05:44 AM

Gracias Keith. I will definitely be on the lookout for all types of frogs. I wasn't able to get any of them with my camera last trip, seemed every time I was ready they were gone.

As far as my camera....it's silver or maybe gray, lol. As much as I love to take pics, I'm not much into the tech side of it. It uses film and I can zoom in closer (that's zooom, right? ). Talking cameras, did you have any problems with the humidity?

Another question! At BdC, I know water is available, what else? Beer, tea, soda?
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

tully...

the humidity does not bother cameras...down pours do, though <g>. you will be there during the rainy season...you can take a zip lock bag to store your camera, and place in fanny pack or light back pack.

the water at BDC is from a mountain spring. they filter it to be extra safe. we drank the water without any problems. tea, coffee, juice are included. sodas, bottled water, and beer are available in ice chests at the bar...simply take what you want and record your 'purchase' on the log sheet...you will be billed and pay for all at check-out. a full bar is available from around noon until late night. you run a tab and pay at check-out.

keith
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:26 AM

Keith and Susan,
The photos are fabulous! I can't tell you how much I enjoyed looking at them. Wonderful shots. They made my heart hurt for Costa Rica. So many excellent ones, but, for some reason, I especially liked the one of the two of you horseback riding (side view, center photo in that set).
You obviously had a fabulous time. I'm going to forward them to a friend who thinks she's much rather travel to Hawaii! Thank you so much for your time and trouble--and for being such fun Fodorites!

We are headed back down on July 2 for one month. Yesterday I worked out a loose itinerary.

1. Drive to Dominical by way of San Isidro--2 nights Dominical, 1 night Savegre on return to San Jose.

2. Hang out a couple of days around San Joaquin (Heredia)--daughter is in language school.

3. Friday, when she gets out for the weekend, we'll head to Monteverde! Yeah--finally going! Hoping to meet some Fodorites there--can't remember who--hope they'll remind me because I forgot to take notes! Are you out there?!!! Weekend in Monteverde, Arco Iris.

4. Next week, when Jamie is back in school, we are going to go to Tortuguero for a couple of nights and also hope to raft the Pacuare.

5. Friday, we'll head to Manzanillo for a long weekend--through Monday.

6. Back through Orosi Valley for a couple of days--Casa Turire, perhaps.

7. On to Neta and Arbel's place for 2-3 days (somewhere around July 19).

8. Rincon de la Vieja for 2-3 days

9. Guanacaste (Flamingo Beach and Conchal) for the last 4-5 days--always make time for this area.

Still trying to fine tune it. I'm thinking our other daughter will decide to visit while we are there and we'll have to do some rearranging! Also, wondering if the $$ can support both Monteverde and Tortuguero! When we go for a month, we have to cut corners where possible.

We'll have a baby with us a good part of the time--that should be interesting! Want so badly to return to Bosque del Cabo, but not this time!

Also would like to spend a couple of days up at La Carolina near Bijagua--horse ranch. Might try to work that in somehow--if we can squeeze out another couple of days somewhere!

Tully, have a great trip! I'll be thinking of you. . . .Thanks again Atkins'!

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Keith and Susan - Loved your pictures!

So many memories, kind of makes me homesick - how is that? I am at home!

Can't fault you on an excuse to go back to Costa Rica, although I thought these were pretty spectacular pics - we all need our excuses! Mine is that I run out of coffee!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

dfarmer,

i am interested just where in west tennessee you live. susan and i are in memphis (past 20 years). if interested in corresponding, you can email me at [email protected]

as for memphis ribs and barbeque, you will be hard pressed to beat the original corky's on east poplar.

when we checked in at BDC and were assigned to 'gecko' cabina, i recalled your wonderful post and the fact that you also stayed there. your description of monkeys and birds, etc., on the premises had a lot to do with our decision to go to BDC...and we thank you!

the pix we took were made with a cannon A80 digital point and shoot camera...next time i will take a 400mm telephoto lens and a more powerful digital camera.

shillmac,

thank you for your assistance and kind words. i hope you and your family have a safe and wonderful trip to c.r. your itinerary looks great!

tully,

you will probably be met at puerto jimenez by kevin. he works for BDC. he is 25, exuberant, and very friendly. his nickname is 'zappatonas' which means 'big shoes'. he, like most rural ticos, prefer to be called by their nicknames; he will get a kick out of you already knowing his...just tell him that 'mono azul' from tennessee asks: donde esta las cervezas y mujeres bonita. <vbg>

best to all,

mono azul
memphis

best,

keith

best,

keith
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

tully,

i just remembered where you can go near BDC and have a good chance of seeing poison dart frogs. unfortunately for us, we did not learn of this location soon enough to know what/where to look.

take the BDC 'pacific trail' down to the beach. turn right and walk along the beach until you come to a creek which empties into the ocean. i'm not sure how far, exactly, but i'd estimate about 15 or 20 minutes; ask a BDC guide for more precise distance and directions. walk up the creek about 100 meters and you will come to a beautiful waterfall. just before you reach the falls pool, you will see large rocks and a rock wall on your right. shine your flashlight all around there, in crevices, and use a twig to clear away small debris...that's where you'll likely find them.

the falls are very near the trail head onto the beach from the el remanso eco-lodge...probably no more than 50 meters from where the el remanso trail meets the beach. you can see a picture of the creek and falls on my photosite.com page at:

http://mazul.photosite.com/Costa_Rica_4_6_2005/

you must wait until near-low tide before setting out. on the way to the creek you will see numerous tide pools with green sea slugs and many brightly colored tropical fish. the water i the pools is crystal clear. you can choose one without slugs and enjoy a natural jacuzzi as the waves break and just crest the edge of the pools. if you take a pair of swimming goggles (not a dive mask) you will be able to see the fish more clearly.

good luck, and please post the pix if you see any frogs.

keith

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Keith, agree Corky's is hard to beat. That was the first barbeque we ever had in Memphis--it was the time we traveled there (about 10 hours from where we live) to see the Napolean exhibit at the convention center. 1994, I think! Almost considered having some shipped to us. I could probably get it online now!

Those little black/turquoise poison dart frogs are cool, indeed. We had one on our porch at the Sol cabina when we were at BDC. Got some good photos of it.

Dfarmer, I finally gave up on getting to Costa Rica before July and ordered some Cafe Britt last month. We had run out of the stash I hauled back to Oklahoma in October! We're going to have to take a bigger suitcase for it next time. . . .

I've been thinking about your girls lately? Did you ever post a report after they returned from the Malpais area? Don't remember reading one. That doesn't mean there wasn't one--and I'll sure be embarrassed if a search shows that I not only read it, but responded! Wouldn't surprise me. . .Did they have a wonderful time?
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

shillmac,

this is off this topic...sorry everyone else...but isn't there a hang gliding spot in oklahoma called 'heavener'? have you ever heard of it? know where it is?

keith
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 12:58 PM

keith I will print this out, thanks for excellent directions! I will definitely post my pics, hopefully of lots different frogs & mono titi's. And I will defintely call kevin zappatonas! Grrr....reading all this is making me impatient! Counting every day
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

tully...

con mucho gusto!

mono azul
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 04:51 PM

Kevin, there is a town of Heavener in eastern Oklahoma. Haven't heard about Hang Gliding, but I know someone to ask. I'll check it out. Do you hang glide?
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:37 PM

I am chuckling here! We are so like a big family. Keith I will contact you by email!

Shillmac - I did take a big suitcase this year! Left home with a rolling bag, with my duffle tucked inside. Left the rolling at Orquideas. The sole purpose of this bag was for hauling coffee!

Yes there was a trip report, you were in the Bahamas. Search for screen name - audraf. She had a blast and cannot wait to get back.

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:44 PM

LOL! I'm chuckling as well. You can bet we'd have a zillion laughs if we ever meet for barbeque!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Oops, sorry, changed verb tenses. No wonder I'm having a hard time learning Spanish--haven't got English down good yet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -