Search

3 weeks with young children

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 weeks with young children

In February of 2009 we will be taking our first trip to Costa Rica. We want to make the most of our 3 weeks- and want to share a great adventure with our daughters (ages 4 and 6). We are curious about the top destinations & thoughts of safe travel. Do we really need to have every night reserved? Also, I do speak Spanish- if that may help. Thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 07:13 PM

Manuel Antonio is very popular with families because it's so easy to get around there, there's a beautiful beach, lots of wildlife in the national park, and loads of restaurants. Buena Vista Villas and Si Como No are really popular spots for families if you want to check them out. We always book ahead just because we have strong preferences on where we like to stay and things book up.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 07:18 PM

I would strongly advise that you have most nights reserved in February, especially traveling with young children. This is an extremely busy time, and the best places sell out. So you while you might be able to blow into town and find something, it may not have been your first choice. Hotels and rates vary tremendously. The best deals and most interesting hotels sell out well in advance.

This is also an extremely diverse destination. So you want to do some advance planning.

The best destinations vary by your interests. But I would say the top five (in no particular order) are Manuel Antonio, Arenal volcano, Monteverde, Tortuguero, and Osa Peninsula. Some folks really like the Guanacaste region. But the development over there leaves me cold. There are a few pockets here and there that are interesting. But I much prefer the aforementioned places.

These forums are a huge help, and a worthwhile tool. But I still urge you to pick up a good guidebook. They are more detailed than we usually get here, and cover areas and hotels that don't get discussed as often.

But everyone here is always willing to help, and half the fun is planning the adventure!

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel professional)
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 07:25 PM

jen, if you give people an idea of what you'd like to see or do, you'll get loads of help here. Do you like volcanoes, waterfalls, wildlife, sailing, being isolated, being in a city, warm weather, cooler weather, etc. CR is really diverse with lots of options.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:26 AM

I have been traveling to CR with my little ones for the past 5 years, my oldest son will be seven this year, my daughter is 4. We have always rented a car, brought our own car seats, and traveled throughout CR. Our favorite place is Arenal, but also love the beaches in Guanacaste like Playa Hermosa, Flamingo, Coco and a few others. It is a good idea to make reservations ahead of time. Only thing to know is that it gets dark around 6 - 6:30 and unless you know where you are going, you may want to be there beforehand. You are going to have an incredible time and knowing Spanish will definitely help if you like to explore the smaller towns and get an even better experience of CR.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:11 PM

travelforkids.com

Good info...

Central Valley Zoo Avenue.

Arenal.net Hot Springs

Tabacon.com or Ecotermales

Monteverdeinfo.com

Manuelantoniopark.com

Have Fun,
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:34 PM

Our experience has been the same as that of ewesthoff, only with our daughter and granddaughter (who is now 3 and getting ready to make her 4th trip with us--first was prenatal!). We like those same areas as well, but have also taken her to Montezuma, the Caribbean side, Monteverde, San Gerardo, and the Orosi area.

Costa Rica is a very child friendly country--Ticos love children. Agree with Pat about reserving ahead. And it's not too early to start.

You can see a lot in 3 weeks. You might consider making the Osa Peninsula a part of that time. I think your girls would enjoy Animal Sanctuary. They'll also like Zoo Ave near Alajuela (1.5-2 hours). Monkey Park near Huacas (on the road to Playa Flamingo) is a good place to visit as well.

On the Caribbean side, the sloth rescue center, Aviares del Caribe, would be fun for them.

Manuel Antonio is a great place for them to see lots of wildlife without strenuous hiking trails.

Have a great time--the planning is half the fun. . .well, maybe 1/4 the fun!