Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

2 young ladies and 2 weeks in CR...What to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I (both in mid-20s) are going to CR in late August and we're looking for an adventurous vacation (i.e. rafting, hiking, kayaking, etc.), as well as a fun nightlife. I've heard that the Pacific coast is best. So, I have a million questions. The flights into Liberia are about $100 more per person than into San Jose. (Rates are about $310 into SJO and $410 into LIR from California. Are these good fares?) Is this a better idea? Where are good places to stay and see? Should we rent a car for the whole 2 weeks? Should we get 4WD? Are the roads unmanageable in August? Anywhere to avoid? Sorry for the lack of direction, but that's pretty much how it is. I would greatly appreciate any help.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:55 AM

First hit a bookstore for a CR guidebook (I prefer Lonely Planet but there are many). The airfares you mention sound very good from Calif. With 2 weeks, I don't think you have a lot to gain by flying into Liberia. Think about going from SJ - Arenal (1-2 days) - Monteverde (1 day) - Tamarindo (as long as you want to enjoy this beach town) then down the Pacific coast to Jaco - Quepos/Manuel Antonio - back to SJ. The quide book will help you pick the places you want to visit. August is low season so you should have your pick of hotels. Don't be afraid to "wing it" a bit outside of your first and last nights. You will probably appreciate having your own car and the best rental rates are by the week. You don't really need 4wd for most places if you just take it easy. The roads are not bad, just not to our standards (although after all the rains here in Calif our roads are becomming similar to CR!) Avoid driving in downtown SJ if possible. 99% of Ticos are friendly and helpful - you shouldn't have any problems - just don't be a victim - don't leave anything in your car while it is unattended - keep your money and passport safe around your neck - and most important, have fun!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:59 AM

One day at Monteverde, is, in my opinion, a waste of time, due to the difficulty of getting in and out on the horrible road.

I also would not go to Jaco. Too much crime and nastiness for my taste.

Tamarindo is a funky 'surfer meets tourist town' on the Pacific coast near Liberia with an active nightlife and plenty of people your age. A bit of caution needs to be taken to avoid some unsavoury characters but generally it is safe and friendly. Nearby beaches are beautiful.

A variety of adventures can be had from Tamarindo. The Pacific sunsets are amazing-especially on a sunset cruise on a sailing ship. We went with Mandingo-highly recommended.

Near Tamarindo [about 3 hours drive]and worth a couple of nights stay is beautiful Rincon de la Vieja National Park at the foot of the Rincon and Santa Maria volcanos. There is excellent hiking there. zip line adventures,horseback riding on well cared for animals, hot springs and other neat geothermal features. A friend indicated there is white water rafting nearby.

Rincon does not have the hordes of tourists you will find at Monteverde or Manual Antonio.

We have stayed at Rincon de la Vieja Mountain Lodge near the park entrance and loved the place. Good hiking right on the lodge property and a 20 minute walk to the park entrance with excellent hiking to various waterfalls and vistas.

Note that the ONLY nightlife at Rincon is listening to the yipping of coyotes in the valley and the strange sounds of night creatures nearby.

The cabins here are much nicer than the rooms. Book well in advance if you plan on staying here.

These are only 2 of a multitude of wonderful places in Costa Rica.

cheers

Jerry
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

That is FANTASTIC info. Thank you both very much. Do either of you have any opinions regarding where the best white water rafting would be? Any recommendations for companies?
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 10:23 AM

Not that I am an expert, since I have only been white water rafting once -- But Rios Tropicales gets my vote! www.riostropicales.com

We rafted the Pacuare last year and it is on my list of must do agains.

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 10:37 AM

i'd definitely recommend the 2-day rafting trip and it seems with 2 weeks you have the time for it. i went with aventuras naturales and thought their pacuare lodge was beautiful. we passed by the rios tropicales lodge and it also looked very nice. both are reputable companies.
http://www.junglelodgecostarica.com/
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Those sound great. I'll definitely look into those. A 2 day trip sounds ideal. We were also thinking about snorkeling while in CR. Would you recommend that we buy our own snorkel gear here in CA and bring it, that way we always have our stuff w/ us and we know its good equipment? Would this be a waste? Also, if we're traveling around from hotel to hotel, would backpacks be better than suitcases? I have no idea how people travel down there.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:24 PM

Snorkel equipment - I always carry my mask and snorkel. Never carry the fins, just too troublesome.

I know it is a personal preference, but 1 - I like my snorkel and 2 - it has only been in my mouth.

Duffle bag and Back pack are much lighter than luggage. They seem to do the trick especially if you intend to take any domestic flights. However since you are considering driving, this may not matter.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:09 AM

Regarding snorkeling, keep in mind the snorkeling in Costa Rica simply won't compare to the great snorkeling you will find in other areas, most notably the Caribbean and Hawaii. Costa Rica has been blessed/gifted with other forms of natural beauty. You may want to concentrate on those since the snorkeling is mediocre at best. Have a great time!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:37 AM

Agree with Shillmac that the snorkeling is not great in CR. You can find some decent spots, but they are hard to come by and many are not well known, you just stumble upon them. There is a nice reef off the southern carribean coast and I think it is fairly dry there in August so it might be decent there. There is also a Marine Park down near Dominical. Sorry the name escapes me. In any case, since snorkeling is not a big deal there, and being the rainy season many places will be too stirred up from river runoff, and you won't find a ton of places to rent equipment from, so if you want to try and snorkel, yes, bring a mask and snorkel from home. If it were me going in August, I would not bother but that's just me.