2 nights enough for Arenal?

Old Aug 27th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 nights enough for Arenal?

Our original plan for upcoming trip in Feb. was to head directly to Arenal (by private transport) after arriving at SJO, then stay there for 3 nights. We have now decided to spend the first night at the Adventure Inn near the airport, then drive to Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall gardens before heading to Arenal, then stay there for 2 nights.

We don't have specific plans in Arenal, and plan to zipline in Monteverde, which is our next stop (so 1 night near airport, 2 Arenal, 2 Monteverde, then to Dominical for 4). Does this sound like too much running around? Will 2 nights in Arenal, with only one full day there, be enough to make it worth our while? We are doing most of this by private transport, by the way, so are viewing the travel as part of the trip rather than a chore...

Any opinions are welcome!
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 09:10 AM

The Arenal area has a lot to offer. We usually stay three or four nights when we go. You could do two, but you'll miss out on a lot. I'd just take a look at what you want to do there and then plan your days accordingly. If you just want to hike the waterfall and Hanging Bridges and visit the hot springs, two days could do it.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks VolcanoGirl. You're right - we just need to decide what we want to do there and determine whether we should stay longer. We've gone back and forth between staying in fewer locations longer and trying to see a little more of Costa Rica, and the latest itinerary was chosen with the latter objective in mind.

I usually second-guess whatever plans I've made right up until the last minute - trying to pin down now what I and the boys might feel like doing in 6 months is a bit of a challenge .
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 07:12 PM

If you have a private driver, I wouldn't bother spending the first night near the airport. For me, it would be better to stay somewhere close to Poas if that's what you plan to do in the morning. It clouds over so they recommend getting there early in the morning, and it's also fun to hike the waterfall gardens before they get crowded. Is there a reason you need to stay close to the airport your first night?

It is really hard to choose when you haven't been there before!
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Agree with Volcanogirl, go to the Poas/la Paz area your first night. Or cut out 1 of your destinations in order to cut down on so much running around.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

No reason to stay near the airport, other than the lodging near La Paz and Poas was more expensive than we'd wanted. I agree that it would be more relaxing to cut out a destination, but I'm finding it difficult to decide which .

I should add that we are booking everything with Anywhere Costa Rica, and they've been great to work with, but I still am doing a ton of research, and after several iterations of our itinerary, am STILL not entirely sure we've hit the right formula - hence my questions!

Okay - big question.... if you were to drop one destination (bearing in mind the 9 year old son, for whom I thought La Paz and Poas would be fun), which would you drop - Monteverde or Arenal?
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 08:15 AM

I would drop Monteverde unless you have your heart set on seeing the cloud forest and going birding. We had very cold rainy weather there. At night, we had to wear fleece jackets and sweatshirts. Our hotel had the fireplace going. It's also kind of a pain to get to. To me, Arenal has more to offer plus the volcano which is pretty unique. You can do your zipline in the Arenal area as well.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 10:41 AM

Your 9 year old will love the La Paz Waterfall Gardens. I have never been to Monteverde, but I also think you should cut that out. We spent 2 nights at Peace Lodge( I think that makes an ideal time frame).
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 11:15 AM

I think your 9-year old will love the Waterfall Gardens too. If you can, go when they have the hand feeding of the hummingbirds. I think they offer it twice a day, and it's amazing.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Yes! Do the hummingbird feeding. I never realized how long their little tongues were!
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Michelle and VolcanoGirl! I think my son will love the Waterfall Gardens as well, so thanks for the encouragement.

I did really want to see Monteverde, and I think in talking about it, convinced my son he wants to see it as well. I'm not sure my husband cares . I kind of hoped getting up to Poas and La Paz would serve as a glimpse at cloud forest and satisfy that curiousity.

I'm now considering 2 options:

The "original" (actually version 4 or 5!) - 1 night near La Paz/Poas, 2 nights Arenal, 2 nights Monteverde and 4 nights Dominical.

And the revised: 2 nights near La Paz/Poas, 3 nights Arenal, 4 nights Dominical. I feel pretty confident most people (including myself) would tell me to go with the latter, but I still welcome any other feedback!
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 03:05 PM

I vote for #2. The first one is too much moving around for me, but really up to you!
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 05:01 PM

I also vote for #2. You can do the zip line and thermal springs at Arenal.