Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Support > Forums Help -- CLOSED ARCHIVE
Reload this Page > Does permanent resident wife of American Citizen need a Shengen for Cz?
Notices

Does permanent resident wife of American Citizen need a Shengen for Cz?

Mar 24th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Does permanent resident wife of American Citizen need a Shengen for Cz?

Hi,

I am an American Citizen holding a valid US passport. My wife is a citizen of Ukraine but holds a permanent resident Green Card in the US. We are planning a trip to Ukraine this summer and would like to take a side trip while there to visit Prague, Czechoslovakia and possibly Budapest also. My question is this: Does my wife need a Shengen visa to make such a trip to Czechoslovakia or Hungary if she is a permanent resident green card holder in the US? Any help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Mar 24th, 2013, 12:31 PM

Check out the website of any country you wish to visit. It will clearly state the requirements. Do not trust any answers here as proof.. although they may be correct. The consequences of a mistake would be too costly.
Mar 24th, 2013, 01:50 PM

Just an FYI - That isn't the sort of 'help' one gets on this forum. It is for technical assistance using the website.

See the 'Change Forum' pull down menu? Next time, click that and go to the Europe forum to post these sorts of questions.

As lincasanova says - check the Czech Rep. and/or Hungary immigration websites and/or consulates where you live.
Mar 24th, 2013, 02:34 PM

Since she is still a citizen of the Ukraine, and travels on a Ukrainian passport, she does indeed need a visa.
Apr 9th, 2013, 08:56 AM

Yes she does, her green card has no status outside of the US, neither does the fact that she is married to a citizen of the US

She is not a citizen of the US and if she is traveling using her Ukrainian passport that is what the border officials will be interested in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_re...inian_citizens
Apr 9th, 2013, 09:18 AM

her green card has no status outside of the US,

Au Contraire - it can help avoid the need for Transit visas for countries like the UK.

Doubt it will help in this case though
Apr 9th, 2013, 07:03 PM

To the best of my limited knowledge, ALya is correct. The green card simply permits her to remain in the US under certain conditions. Does not grant an special status related to travel or American citizenship. She is a Ukrainian citizen until she declares citizenship and is accepted in another country. Assume her Ukrainian passport is current. That is the controlling document.
Apr 9th, 2013, 07:08 PM

Folks - the OP was a one post wonder. (And this is the Forums Help Forum - not exactly the sort of help provided here . . . )

Search this Thread