Search

Zwinger/Dresden in January

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zwinger/Dresden in January

Might be in Dresden one month from now.

Does anyone have the latest info on what parts of the Zwinger are open??
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 04:56 PM

i was there two weeks ago and everything was open...i'm sure ingo will chime in here with the exact latest info....

i do know that the green vaults at the albertimium will close in january for quite a long period....

dresden is a gme of a city...enjoy yourself...
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 04:56 PM

that's a gem of a city
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 11:27 AM

Sure, rhkkmk

Everything in the Zwinger will be open from Tue to Sun. The Picture Gallery Old Masters will be open on Monday, too.

I think this is the "compensation" for the closed Green Vault, which was open on Mondays and closed on Thursdays. But, like rhkkmk said, it will be closed from January on for the move to the restored rooms in the Royal Palace.

Re your other question. Since I am a Dresden resident I don't use to stay in hotels in Dresden. If you would ask more detailed I could give you some assistance, though.

Ingo
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Rhkkmk and Ingo!!
Your comments are very helpful.

To answer your message, Ingo, we're interested in a 4 or 5-star hotel, centrally located.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 11:21 PM
hsv

You might want to check out the Radisson Gewandhaus.
Another option is the Westin, but that's across the river.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 11:41 AM

First I have to say that I have no personal experience; only friends/business friends stayed at those hotels.

The most centrally located 5star hotel is the Kempinski Taschenberg Palais. Absolutely fantastic, right next to the Zwinger, Semper Opera etc. A rebuilt Baroque palace. Good German food in several restaurants (Sophienkeller, Paulaner) and excellent food in the Gourmet restaurant "Intermezzo". It is frequented by individual and business travellers.

The 4star Hilton is also located very centrally, but the disadvantage is that there is a HUGE construction site in front of it. And I think the restaurants are not as good as in the Kempinski (except Cafe Vis-a-Vis).

The small 5star Bülow Residenz Hotel is considered to be the best in Dresden. It has an outstanding Gourmet restaurant ("Caroussel&quot and is located across the river in the so called New Town, which is a nice Baroque quarter, about 15 minutes walk/5 minutes by tram from the Zwinger. The building in an original Baroque Palazzo, very charming.

The Westin Bellevue is, like hsv said, also located across the river. It is primarily a big business hotel, but due to the weak economy they try to have more individual travellers. As far as I know they are currently doing some renovation works (new suites).

The Radisson SAS Gewandhaus Hotel is also centrally located, but I have not heard anything about it, sorry.

Ingo

PS: You should try to get a package for two or three days (How long do you intend to stay?), because they use to have good deals incl. museum pass and public transportation pass.