Reload this Page >

Zurich - To See or Not to See?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 08:25 PM
Karen

We are flying into the Zurich Airport, and are wondering if we should go into Zurich or stay outside of the city while we get our feet under us? Karen Brown seems to like Zurich and Rick Steeves seems to hate it. (Probably because of cost but I am not sure.) Is Zurich wonderful to explore or more like a large modern city?

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 04:21 AM
Patrick

Last summer spent a week in Lucerne and ended up in Zurich two different days and evenings poking around. We loved the city. This year we are going back and spending four nights in Zurich itself. Yes, it is a big city and somewhat modern --don't think of it as a charming Swiss village, but it still has a lot of charm. There is a wonderful old town, the lake front is very pretty, charming smaller hotels as well as the big deluxe ones, and great restaurants, including lots of inexpensive ones, particularly near the university. Of course it also has unbelievable shops and shopping, but we don't travel to shop at all, never even went into a store.

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 04:22 AM
Patrick

Forgot to mention, it is also a great city to "get your feet under you" after a long flight, as the train station is right in the airport and the train quickly whisks you into the city right in the heart of things.

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 04:49 AM
Ed

Zuerich's a great city. Rick's so right about so many things ... but not all. Zuerich is one of his misses. <BR> <BR>Just 10 minutes (or less) from the airport by train, you can probably get there faster than any nearby 'suburb'. <BR> <BR>Take a look at www.twenj.com/swisszrhoneday.thm <BR> <BR>www.twenj.com <BR>Rome.Swizterland.Bavaria

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 05:29 AM
JimF

Zurich has to be on the most boring places I have ever visited. Head for Luzern as soon as you land in Switzerland. It is smaller, more manageable (you can walk everywhere) and much more picturesque.

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 02:23 PM
mariana

We flew OUT of Zurich the first part of last Nov.....(after having driven around Switzerland and small villages for a week). It is ALL beautiful, but I would think a day in Zurich walking around would be worth it.....we saw a lot, and got the feel of the city in just half a day. We always plan to leave or arrive in Europe on a weekend to get a weekend rate at a good hotel by the airport. The Hilton at Zurich Airport was wonderful , very comfortable (especially to "get your feet on the ground".....)The "bounce back" weekend rate was great. We took the free hotel shuttle to the airport, got right on the train and were down in the center of town in 15 min. Reverse on return to hotel. (well, somewhere in there we turned in the rental car). <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 04:31 PM
lola

Don't miss the lion statues just about everywhere, and the Chagall windows, for starters. Great shopping too. Worth a day.

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 05:55 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>For us, it's usually a day at the beginning or the end of a trip, and we use it for just relaxing, usually a lake cruise, and a little sight seeing. As mentioned, it is a big city, I prefer Lucerne too as far as cities go, but there is stuff to see and do. It does seem to be a little more expensive than some other Swiss towns.

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 02:32 AM
Dagmar

The more I travel the world the more I like Zurich... The city is not that big and has a lot of charm. Especially the old part is lovely. I do recommend to spend a couple of days in Zurich.

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 04:48 AM
dan woodlief

I have only flown into Zurich and didn't stay there because of time constraints. My guess is that it would be worth a day if you can still have time for whatever else you want to do in Switzerland. I also love Luzern, which is very beautiful. Bern is another great city to visit and seems to be overlooked somewhat. It doesn't have the spectacular surroundings of Luzern, but it is on a big river and is very attractive. Bern is a quick train ride away from the Zurich airport (1:30 for Bern versus 1:15 for Luzern) and is pretty close to the Interlaken area (50 min. versus 2 hours for Luzern).

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 08:39 AM
Carol

Loved Zurich, don't miss it.