Search

Zugspitze

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 1998, 12:18 PM
Cindy

Zugspitze

I will be traveling with a person that has had some heart problems, and due to this I'm afraid very high altitude may be a problem for him. Does anyone know if one can take the railway to the stopping point (before the cable car) and wait there while the other person goes to the top with the cable car? Is it just a platform, or is there a place to sit and enjoy the view? Alternatives on less high cableways?

Old May 22nd, 1998, 12:57 PM
Arizona

When we went to the top a few years ago, a cable car took us all the way with plenty of room, comfortable seats, and marvelous views. At the top, there is a restaurant, decks, and all the trimmings. No stairs to climb, no huffing or puffing. Just a lot of fun and marvelous scenery in all directions. Viel spass!

Old May 23rd, 1998, 05:24 AM
Ben

Whether you are arriving by train from Garmisch or driving your auto - you will arrive at the Eibsee Station at the foot of the Zugspitze. From this location you can take the cog railway to near the summit via tunnels thru the interior of the mountain or you can take the cable car (Eibseebahn). There is a small store and plenty of benches at the bottom. If someone is waiting there I would suggest you take the quickest way up and back and that is via cable car and if the weather is questionable - don't waste your time and money.

Old May 24th, 1998, 04:43 AM
Maira

There are two ways to go up and down the Zugspitze; by cable car and by railway. The Cable car ride is quicker, more spectacular scenery and a little more exciting. The railway is slower, but you are sitting down and the scenery is enjoyable as well. At the top of the mountain, there is a ski station (amazing skiers!), a neat little church, a nice cafeteria, a metereological station, an art exhibition hall, a souvenier stand, etc... Most of the skiers go up the cable car and down the railway. Your friend should check with a Doctor. I would recommedn for him not to miss the experience, but to go up and down the railway.

(BTW, the tickets are like $30.00pp)

Old Jun 15th, 1998, 06:58 PM
Dennis Holland

Tickets are more like $50. per person but it is worth the trip. If you are driving you can park at the base and take the cable car, otherwise a train runs from Garmisch. Your friend can walk from the base to the nearby hotel on the lake-Eibsee. They have a restaurant and great desserts. Also you can walk along the lake, not strenuous. Otherwise spend the day in town (Garmisch) and do some sightseeing there.