Reload this Page >

Zugspitz vs. Grossglockner

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 1998, 08:12 PM
Martin Hafer

My wife and I will be travelling in Germany and Austria in late <BR>September. I had originally planned for us to go to the top of the <BR>Zugspitz, but am wondering if it might be more spectcular to drive up <BR>the Grossglocknerstrasse since we were able to add a couple days to our <BR>trip. Is the Grossglocknerstrasse worth the high cost and amount of <BR>time it will take. Considering how much we enjoy the mountains and <BR>wilderness areas, it may just be. Has anyone done either (or both) of <BR>these? Any suggestions? <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 11:37 PM
Emma

I haven't been to the Zugspitz, but drove the Grossglockner in late October last year. It was spectacular! The weather was absolutely perfect - it was a crystal clear sunny day. The scenery was absolutely awesome. It was one of the higlights of our holiday. We did the Pass in one afternoon, but would have loved longer, as we felt rushed at the end. Yes, the cost is high, but if it is good weather it is definately worth it. <BR>

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 06:52 AM
Todd

Martin: I've never been to the Grossglockner, but I lived for a year in the Garmisch valley. The Zugspitze and the entire valley are spectacular, but not by car as Emma described in her trip. If you are feeling adventurous, there are two-day walk/hikes up the Zugspitze. You stay in a rustic lodge with Bavarian food and music provided. Of course, there are the cable car and the train to the summit, but the feeling of reaching the summit under your own power is quite a thrill! Talk about wilderness and scenery up close and personal. There are other walks in the Hollentahlklamm (sp?) and Partnachklamm (sp?) river gorges as well as the other mountains surrounding the valley. But I'd say it's all definitely better experienced on foot than in the car. <BR>

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 08:56 AM
Wolf

Both mountain(ranges) are magnificent. It's probably <BR>easier to "climb" the Zuspitze from Garmisch at approx $42 per person. If you take a round trip tour <BR>from Zell am See by car (about 300 miles) at approx. <BR>$28 per car, it is more relaxing, as you can stop at the many sightseeing points, i.e. Franz-Josefs-Höhe <BR>and Edelweissspitze. For more detailed info, check: <BR>www.grossglockner.at/grohage.htm and www.zugspitze.de. <BR>Wolf