Search

Ziploc Big Bags

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ziploc Big Bags

A number of people have mentioned that the Ziploc big bags are great for packing. I have looked for them in our local Costco and Home Depot but have not been able to find them. Where are they available? Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:28 PM

Just bought a couple of boxes for my upcoming trip. Got them at Wal-mart. They come 4 to a box. Hefty made some jumbo bags a couple of years ago. I had good success with those but of course, they discontinued them after only a short run. Hope the big ziplocs stay around.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM

saw them at Target this week. Intriguing idea, but some actually too big (the XXL or XL holds a sleeping bag). I bought the Jumbo 2.5 gallon size -
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Ziploc makes 2 sizes of the large bags: 2 gallon and an XXL which can hold blankets and comforters.

I use the 2 gallon size since it is easier to organize the clothes. Hefty makes a 2.5 gal bag which is quite nice.
Found all sizes at the local Target and Wal-marts.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I find they take up alot of room as I travel light. I use the dry cleaning bags our clothes are brought home in from our local cleaner. They are much lighter and I fold them in between clothes and the folds. Works for me. otherwise I roll when possible. I do use small ziplocs for cosmetics, perfume, toiletries. It saves the customs from digging into my old toiletrie kit, they can just look in.
I save the sweater bags that come with them and use those for stockings and undies.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:23 AM

If you are looking for bags to decrease the amount of space things take up, there are the ones that you squeeze the air out of. I tried the ones advertised on TV (Space Bags) one time and found that the one I had immediately developed a hole making it worthless. The ones that have worked the best and have lasted through numerous trips are the ones on Rick Steves' website. I use the large one for my pillow (yes, I have to take it with me!)and the medium one for my coat if I need to take one for cooler weather, but don't want to wear it. They would also work well for sweaters or other bulky items. It's amazing how much air is in things !
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:15 PM

I second the suggestion to use bags that you can push the air out. Flattens your clothes right out! My wife and I used them for our honeymoon (3 weeks) because we each wanted to travel with only one piece of luggage. I used the Eagle Creek bags but I think that any brand will do. Any travel store or luggage section in dept stores such as Macy's should carry them.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your replies. Yes, I am trying to save on space. We like to travel with a carry-on bag. We spent a month in Italy 2 years ago with just our 22" carry-ons. We had bought some samsonite space bags where you can squeeze out the air. I think these may be what jcasale tried also. These worked great but on subsequent trips we had so much trouble with the slider on the ziploc. Then I read about using regular ziploc big bags. I'll take a look at the Rick Steve's site and think about trying a different brand but also will swing by my local target to buy some ziplocs. Thanks!

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:46 PM

What's stopped me from using space-saver bags is that I've always worried that once you suck the air out of your stuff to be able to squeeze more in that your bag ends up weighing a ton.

No?
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 03:56 AM

No. Once you squeeze all the air out, you can finally fit in the stuff you need to take! We take one bag and one backpack per person. One thing, do remember to put half of your clothes in your spouses' bag and vice versa--just in case one bag is lost or misplaced. We also "foodsaver" things like the booze flask and any othe liquid. Lynclarke
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 04:20 AM

ZipLock (or some equivalent brand) also makes a 3-gallon size bag.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 05:54 AM

Actually there is a risk of overweight. I have known folks who happily packed using space bags and got to the airport only to discover the suitcase was now over 50 lbs!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:02 AM

I can believe that. The reason for my suspicion is that my mother included a garbage compactor in the redesign of her kitchen, and she stopped using it because it became backbreaking to carry the garbage out!

In recent trips, more and more of the airlines I take weigh my carry on bag instead of just looking at it. I had to give up carrying a hard-sided favorite of mine because it constantly exceeded the weight limit for carryon.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:22 PM

I discovered the trick of using different size ziplock bags and wouldn't do it any other way now.
(We like to use carry-on only whenever possible.) I squeeze the air out of the bags by smoothing them with one hand while zipping with the other. I keep all my undies in one bag, bras in another, tshirts, shorts, etc. For one thing, if security has to open my suitcase they are not pawing through my delicates. For another, I can easily find one pair of underwear without going through and disturbing all the other clothing. Lastly, the items stay fresher because they are not exposed to dust, etc. We reuse the bags from one trip to the next, unless we have stored shoes in them. Just my two cents.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:27 PM

I like the freezer bags (with pleated bottom) for packing toiletries, electrical accessories, pharmaceuticals. And the larger ones are fabulous for stockings/underwear, with an empty for items worn.

A larger one is also quite useful for carrying a sweater in a tote bag, or printed material, should it rain while you're out and about.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Intersting thread. Once you've opened the Space bags, how do you repack? Do you need to borrow a vacuum cleaner from the hotel?
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:44 PM

With any zip-lock type bag of any size you can place your articles in it, zip it ALMOST closed, leave a bit in the corner to allow the air out, then roll it up and close it quickly after the air has gone out. Flatten it out again and you'll be totally surprised how small it is! With several large 2 1/2 gallon bags you can take one carry on and still have plenty of room. I use smaller zip-locks for panties, hose, socks ect and the 2+ gallon ones for jeans/shirts ect.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:55 PM

We have used the large two and a half gallon zip-lock style of bags for packing both coming and going. Sweater, jacket, dress shirt, socks, just about everything. Fold the clothes, slip them into the bags, partially close them, sit on to expel as much air as possible, then zip closed all the way. You can pack a LOT into a small space this way AND surprisingly we have had no wrinkling problems at all. You would think there would be but it hasn't happened. We use them throughout the trip - when it's time to repack just use them again if you've opened them, or expel air from those that have leaked. We find the bags at Target - regular grovery stores don't seem to have the larger size bags..
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 06:07 PM

No one has mentioned one of the most important reasons for packing in the bags-keeping clothes DRY!
We had the misfortune of arriving at our destination to find that our soft sided bags had sat on the tarmac in pouring rain and most of our clothing was wet or damp.
From that trip onward we have used the bags some that you squeeze the air out of and some other plastic bags just to make sure that our stuff arrives dry!
Carol, South Carolina, USA
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 06:20 PM

I'm another fan of Ziploc big bags. I pack everything except slacks, skirts, and outerwear in them. If I stay in a hotel for just one or two nights, I don't even take the clothes out of the bags...just pop them in a drawer. My son uses the compression bags from Target. They come 3 to a box and are different sizes. Those are made of thicker plastic than Ziploc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -