Zermatt - Gornergrat, cablecar or both?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasting time on a lazy hot Sunday afternoon researching our trip to Switzerland in June 2007 I have been checking out www.zermatt.ch.

Would like some suggestions for a days outing. Is it possible to take the Gornergrat and the Schwarzee cable car back down or are they in two different directions? Sorry to be so dumb but I can't seem to figure this out. The Matterhorn Glacier Paradise sounds interesting too. Of course all this is a big IF with the weather too.

I would also love some suggestions for hotels to stay at in Zermatt, easy walking to the train station and not 5 star please.

Thanks
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 09:26 PM

http://www.gornergrat.ch/en/ has the prices and the timetables - depends on your dates, before or after June 6. Takes 47 minutes.

http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/fahrp...atterhorn.html for Schwarzsee (not for June yet but it givs you an idea).
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 02:00 AM

You might consider the Hotel Butterfly which can be viewed/reserved on the BestWestern website. A very nice 3-star hotel.

The Gornergratt Railway station has a live cam in the waiting room where you can check the weather above BEFORE buying tickets for the trip up.

There are times when it is clear in the village and yet the peak is obscured.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 08:27 AM

The trail for the Gornergrat leaves from a building close to the station for the train that leaves Zermatt for the outer world.

The cable cars for the Matterhorn destinations leaves from a site about a mile from the main station. It is a lovely walk through the town, which has a large number of buildings I might add because Zermatt is a high density area.

We rode up to the Klein Matterhorn last year and at the first station (if I recall correctly) the Klein Matterhorn route branched off of the line we were on. We had to talk a ways to take the continuation car.

If the day is clear, the Klein Matterhorn viewpoint is an eye popper.

The Gornergrat is too because it gives a view of the huge massiv of Monte Rosa and those large alpine glaciers.

If the day is clear, you can see the Matterhorn rising to the west and the Dom, a graceful spire with glacial cirques near the summit, rising to the northeast. Monte Rosa dominates the view to the south.

Which of the two is the better choice?

I don't know. I had been to the Gornergrat before, so last year I chose the Klein Matterhorn. It was beautiful, perhaps the most spectacular view I have seen in the Alps. BUT, on my two previous views to the Gornergrat the day was not crystal clear. In fact, one day we left in a snow storm.

So not having seen both under identical conditions, I don't think it fair to judge. Both are sensational, or can be under the right viewing conditions.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Maudie, having lunch and hiking around Gornergrat is one of the best memories of my whole life.

We stayed at the Romantika and really loved it too.

http://www.reconline.ch/romantica/index.htm
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
We have only taken the Gornergrat train, but loved it. If I remember correctly, we walked from the station to a stop between Gornergrat and Zermatt and took the train the rest of the way back down. We also stayed at Hotel Butterfly and recommend it.

paul
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. I have been trying to find a map of the general area to get my bearings,so if anyone knows a site please let me in on it. I have sent away for a brochure from the Zermatt.ch site so that may help me too.

Now if I understand this correctly the Gornergrat and the cable car go in two different directions to two different areas?????

Dukey and Paul, I had the Butterfly on my list, I think we also get a discount at Best Western with our Swiss Passes, so that's even better, but I will checkout the Romantik.

Thanks Bob, as usual you are so helpful.
Maudie
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Maudie, when you receive your information from the Zermatt tourist board by post it will include some maps (panoramic) and a list of hotels and garni by number of stars, each located on a grid. There are many to choose from, so it is good to get recommendations here.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 08:10 PM
je

The Gornergrat and the Klein Matterhorn are two entirely separate areas of the mountains. One cannot easily get from the Gornergrat to the other by any sort of lift system. It is possible to do this on skis with some walking involved.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 08:30 PM

yes different directions.
The Gornergrat route is a cog rail line. The trip to the Klein Matterhorn is a combination of 3 stages of cable devices. I recall that the first stage was a gondola with a string of 4 to 6 passenger cabins, the next two stages were in a single large cabin.

The Klein Matterhorn trip first stage goes to Furi. Then from Furi to Trockener Steg, and the third state from Trockener Steg to the top.

Once up there, you have a view tower, a place for a snack, and trails to walk if you are equipped for sludging in the snow.

In the summer, the early risers go up and ski before the snow gets too soft.
We met quite a few skiers coming down as we were going up.

I am not sure which one I would take if only one was possible.

On the Gornergrat ride, we got off at an intermediate top called Rotenboden and walked the rest of the way. That particulrly day I got a picture of a fast disappearing Matterhorn. I had intended to walk back to Rotenboden, but snow was falling and the clouds were so thick I could not even see the rail line. So we took the train back all the way. (This was in August by the way!!)

Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Great, that clears it up for me. Now it will be down to choosing between the two, they both sound great, choices, choices!!!
I think the weather might be making the choice for us somehow.

Enzian, sounds like I have done the right thing by requesting the information - everything I have asked for has arrived quickly and is full of info. The Tourism boards do a great job.

Thanks again everyone, you've come through for me yet again.
Maudie
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:33 AM

Mudie:

On the Zermatt.ch site open the section entitled "Facilities and Ski Runs" and you'll get a general idea of where the two (Gornergrat and Kleine Matterhorn) are actually located in relation to the village itself.

The Gornergrat Railway station is directly across the street from the main (Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn) station and would probably be closer to your hotel. But views from both vantage points are spectacular.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Dukey,
Thank you, I will check that out. I wish I had a dollar for every hour I have spent on research!!!!

We just ordered our Swiss Passes, taking a chance on getting them cheaper in case of any price rise in 2007. Hope we have done the right thing - anyway its done now and one more thing ticked off my list. On Christmas day it will be only 4 months until we leave!!!!
And the Butterfly looks great too, including the off season prices! Which rooms give a view of the Matterhorn?
Maudie
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 10:00 PM

Look it up on the usual mapping sites. The areas you mention are not close together.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:44 AM

<<<<>>>>Then from Furi to Trockener Steg, and the third state from Trockener Steg to the top.<<<>>>>>

There is a nice little jaunt up to a hutte type deal just up from Trockner Steg.
The walk is along a rocky trail. Not really dangerous mind ya, but good shoes are needed. Then once at the top, you can sip coffee or your favorite adult beverage as you take in the views of all of these wonderful glaciers.

I really like that excursion. Funny isn't it the simple things that makes these trips so great huh?