Search

Zagreb to Dubrovnic Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zagreb to Dubrovnic Itinerary

Hello,
I am working on the last minute trip to Croatia. We plan to leave end of May or beginning of June this year, need advise what time is better so there are more fruits and water is warmer for swimming. Flying to Zagreb and flying out from Dubrovnik. We plan to rent a car in Zagreb and drive to Dubrovnik with stops on the way.
Any recommendations for a an outfit that can accommodate island sailing?
What island is better for a couple of day stay and if it is worth it (I recognize that this is subjective)?
Is Krka worth it after Plitviska?
We plan to give up the car once we get to Dubrovnik and utilize the ferry and hire a car for day trips, is it logical or best to keep the car? I also would like to minimize one night stays if possible. Our interests are food, wine, swimming history, architecture, art and relaxation. I . First attempt at the schedules below. I am totally open to changes.
Thank you for all your help in advance - PK1.
1. Zagreb – Arrive and see the town – Sleep Zagreb

2. Drive Plitviska– see the NP pm (Sleep Plitviska)
3. See NP in the Am - drive to Zadar –(sleep Sibenik (Zadar?)
4. Sibenik visit Zadar –Pag (sleep Sibenik)
5. Sibenik – Visit Krka, Trigor (sleep Sibenik)
6. Split explore – (sleep Split)
7. Split – day trip sailing, Vic, Kvar, Broc (sleep Split)
8. Korkula Island Ferry from Orebic to Korcula (sleep Korkula)
9. Drive Paljesac Peninsula – wine road through Peljesac vineyards (sleep Dubrovnik)
10. Dubrovnik (sleep Dubrovnik/Babin Kuk)
11. Dubrovnik explore – (sleep Dubrovnick)
12. Dubrovnick - Kotor Bay and Kotor in Montenegro and Mostar in Bosnia Herzegovina (sleep Dubrovnik)
13. Visit of your choice: Elaphiti islands, Ston, Trsteno or Cavtat, Mljet,. (sleep Dubrovnik).
14. Fly home
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 09:48 AM

Zadar could easily be visited on the way from Plitvice to Sibenik.
Trogir is close to Split and should be visited from there (if you don't decide to stay at Trogir instead of Split).
There is a direct car and passenger ferry from Split to Korcula Island (Vela Luka). There is no need to travel twice via Orebic.
You plan to pack way too much in day 12: do either Montenegro or Bosnia.
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

neckervd - thank you for your info. What do you think is better Montenegro or Herzegovina? Is Vodice better than Zadar or Sibenik
Thank you!
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 04:33 PM
kja

Despite the similarities between the Plitvice Lakes National Park and the Krka National Park, I was surprised by the differences between them: The Plitvice Lakes are, indeed, lakes, connected by gorgeous waterfalls, and part of the beauty of the park is that not only are there many, many waterfalls, but also, the lakes are different colors (in fact, parts of some lakes are differently colored than other parts of the same lake). In contrast, Krka's most famous falls are along a river and the main set of falls is broader and contain more cascades (of varying heights and widths) than those of the Plitvice Lakes. You might do a google image search to see the differing images.

Whether to keep the rental car or use public transportation is a personal choice. I far prefer public transportion when it is feasible; others prefer a car. That said, you might consider visiting Kotor on your first day in Dubrovnik so you can return the car ASAP – having one is not likely to serve you well in Dubrovnik.

As neckervd noted, it would make more sense to visit Zadar on your way to Sibenik, although I must admit that your plan for this segment of your trip seems very ambitious to me. Are you sure you will have the time you want in Zadar, Sibenik, Pag, and Split?

Also as neckervd said, it would make more sense to visit Trogir from Split – it’s only about ˝ hour away. But if you do that, consider adding time to Split, which has a tremendous amount to offer.

I’m not sure you can meaningfully see Kotor and Mostar on the same day trip from Dubrovnik, and even if you can, Mostar is much nicer after daytrippers leave.

Trsteno was very badly damaged in some storms a decade or more ago. I’m glad I saw it, but then I had a particular interest in seeing it.

And won’t you be visiting Ston during your day on the Paljesac Peninsula?
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 04:52 PM

Some ideas for your consideration

1. Zagreb – Arrive and Explore the City
2. Plitvice – (Drive 2 hrs Zagreb to Plitvice) Visit the NP
3. Split – (Drive 3 hrs Plitvice to Split) Explore Split
4. Split - day trip Krka, Sibenik
5. Split– day trip sailing, Vis, Hvar, Broc
6. Korcula - Car Ferry Split to Korcula (Vela Luka)(10:15AM-1PM)), drive to Korcula town(40 min)
7. Korcula – Explore Korcula
8. Mostar - https://goo.gl/maps/YAEajUmaWpA2 Drive/Ferry choices to Mostar
9. Dubrovnik – Explore Mostar (Drive 2-1/2 hrs Mostar to Dubrovnik)

10. Dubrovnik – Explore Dubrovnik
11. Dubrovnik – day trip-Kotor
12. Dubrovnik _ day trip
13. Dubrovnik _ day trip
14. Fly home