Search

Your Top 10 Suggestions for the Sorrentine Penninsula and Amalfi Coast Area

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Top 10 Suggestions for the Sorrentine Penninsula and Amalfi Coast Area

Here is the background...

I am going to be in Sorrento di Piano with a group of 9 friends (10 people total) for a week at the end of April. We are celebrating one couple's 10th wedding anniversary.

I have started to do my research on places of interest so I'm prepared for what I would like to see and do.

The hostess of this group who has coordinated our villa rental has asked me to put together a list of Top 10 Must Do's in this area to share with everyone. She knows that I love doing trip planning and is under the impression I am an "expert" I am using this term loosely...yes I like to plan, no I don't think I am an "expert" at anything!

I have been going through the Fodors Naples, Capri & Amalfi Coast guidebook and have come up with a few recommendations...Pompeii, Capri, Amalfi, Positano, Vesuvias, etc...but I need to research further as to specific sites.

This is where all the knowledgable Fodorites come in...I'd love to hear some of your personal recommendations of "Must Do's or Must See's" in this area...it doesn't have to be 10, it can be as few or many as you like to mention.

We are a group of friends in our mid 30's - late 40's. We like anything wine or food related. History is also a good bet and any light outdoor recreation...walking, or water related (I read an article about renting kayaks that seems like fun). We will have access to rental cars so don't necessarily need a guide and car, but if you have suggestions for great guided experiences in this area I'm open to hearing about them.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 07:04 AM
ira

Hi LCI,

The Greek ruins at Paestum. www.initaly.com/regions/campania/paestum.htm
You can take the ferry or SITA bus to Salerno and the train from there or take the Circumvesuviana to Naples and the train from there.

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 07:10 AM

We did a boat cruise for a day from positano up the coast, and part of it included lunch. It was amazing, best day of our 3 week trip!

Also a day trip to Capri...
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Ira and Jamikins...

Thanks for the recommendations. I like both ideas, especially the boat cruise...very appealing!

Keep em' coming.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 07:47 AM
cw

In addition to Paestum and Capri, I'll add Pompeii, the archeological museum in Naples (take the hydrofoil from Sorrento), and just walk around Naples. The Amalfi drive is amazing, and stop for lunch somewhere that looks interesting.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Hi LCI!
I've always wanted to go to Paestum, so I hope you go there. Along the way, there are supposed to be numerous spots where Buffalo Mozzarella is made fresh, so you could stop and pick up for a snack or picnic lunch. At least that was my plan, though we didn't end up going. ;-)
I really want to go back to that area (been to Positano 3 times) to see Naples as well. I think it's worth a visit to the Archaeological museum there, from what I've read. Plus, it's the birthplace of Pizza. What more do you need?
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 07:56 AM

I loved the little village of Nerano outside of Sorrento.
This would be a relaxing day of food, wine, and surf.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM

We have a rather lengthy trip report, the first page of which includes (of all things) a Top 10 list of the things we enjoyed most:

http://www.onelittleworld.com/campania_1.html

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

CW...every time I read something about this area the archeological museum in Naples keeps coming up...I think it may have to be a definite...at least for me, even if no one else I'm with wants to join me!

Kristina...

I was reading Ekscrunchy's Amalfi trip report (I think from last year) and she mentions about the Buffalo Mozzarella...might have to make that a priority too!

jetsetj...

Nerano sounds perfect for a laid back day!

mr_go...

Wow...I just read the top 10 on your website and now need to go back and read the whole thing...can't wait...good reading at home tonight!

With all these great recommendations and only 7 days it's goign to be VERY hard to pick and choose!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Oh...

Kristina...forgot to mention.

The "host" couple for this "shin-dig" is arranging for a pizza dinner "event" at the villa one night! I know we are about an hour or so from Naples, but hoping since it's in close proximity that the pizza will be fabulous!

We did a similar evening with this same group of friends 5 years ago in Tuscany and had a fantastic "classic" Tuscan meal...this "host" couple really has a knack for finding fun and interesting things to do!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Hello!
We are also going the at the end of April too and I was just about to ask the same question when I saw this. Thanks for asking it and for everyone's input this will help me as well!!
Mirasia
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd add another vote for Paestum, and stress that the museum is well worth doing (You can get a combined museum/archeological site ticket).

I liked Herculaneum as much as Pompeii - they are different - the former is smaller, more compact, and you get a good feel for just how catastrophic the eruption was by looking at the 60 foot of rock wall that towers over site.

Although a bit of a drive, the Royal Palace at Caserta is stunning. I was not really all that keen to see it, but it is spectacular (I include the wonderful gardens as part of the palace).

Naples itself should not be overlooked. I particularly enjoyed walking along "Spaccanapoli". The integrated bus/tram/funicular ticket is excellent value at around €3.50 for the day - allows you to hop on/hop off various means of transport within the city. Although there is not much to see at the castle itself, the views of Naples from the walls make the Castel San't Elmo one of my favourite places.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 09:58 AM

Some restaurant suggestions, first! Quattro Paese, which is between Sorrento and Positano.
Donna Rosa, Il Ritrovo, or any of the other often recommended restaurants in Montepertuso, which is a mountain village just above Positano. We went at sunset, and really enjoyed the views through the huge windows down over the town to Positano!

IF you go for lunch, and you'd like to do something other than drive or roll downhill afterwards (!), you can actually hike back down from a trail that runs in back of the church in the center of town. ( Or you could when I last visited two years ago.)

A boat cruise along the coast with Salvatore e Gennore who set up shop at a little stand on the dock in Positano.

A bit cheesy ( keeping to the food theme?!) and don't know if it's still offered, but the night tour of Pompeii was lots of fun. We found out about it through the tourist office in Sorrento.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM

Low Country: You are getting some great responses here. I did discuss the mozzarella in my trip report. I think a great morning could be spent with a visit to see the production and have a tasting. I did not have time to arrange more than a quick visit, but if you have more time, you could try to arrange a visit to this farm which gets high marks for quality:

http://www.vannulo.it/

Any interest in winery visits?

I gave this information on another thread:

The mozzarella producers are concentrated south of Battipaglia. One producer who allows tourists to visit is:

www.vannulo.it

Another, with a cooking school, is:

http://www.agriturismoseliano.it/index.php

Note that neither of these is located on the Amalfi coast itself.

For wine, here is but one producer in the Avellino area ; visitors are welcomed by appointment:

http://www.feudi.it/eng/intro.aspx

Here is another well respected producer in the region:

http://www.mastroberardino.com/Eng/index.asp
ekscrunchy on Mar 4, 08 at 04:55 PM

Here is one more Campania winery that welcomes visitors:

http://www.torre-gaia.com/
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Yes! This is the company we used for our boat crusie: Salvatore e Gennore! They do have a website but I cant find it right now...
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Mirasia...

Aren't Fodorites great with these wonderful recommendations...it makes trip planning such a pleasure!

willit..

I did read about Herculaneum and was trying to figure out if it should be on my "to see" list...it seems to be rising to the top along with the Royal Palace at Caserta!

Naples is definitely looking like a day trip option if we can take the hydrofoil as pointed out earlier!

Weadles...

Love the restaurant recommendations! I think I read about the restaurants in Montepertuso,just above Positano in a trip report recently. The night tour of Pompeii might be fun...I'll have to look into that!

Ek...

Oh My Gosh...yes, this group is definitely "into" wine and wineries. We did the "week in Tuscany visit a bunch of wineries" 5 years ago and LOVED it! And of course, if we are having wine, the cheese won't be too far behind!

Thank you for the links!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 01:50 PM

LowCountryIslander,
Yes I was so glad I discovered these Fodorites when I went to Thailand, their help was invaluable and thanks to your questions I am getting tons of information for my trip! I am staying in Praiano and will explore from there. The Royal Palace at Caserta is peeking my interest too!
Mirasia
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 03:33 PM

copied from my original post: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...o-sorrento.cfm

We're back. It was wonderful - relaxing and inspiring. Here are some of the highlights of our trip. Thank you all for your guidance in planning!

* Ravello - Villa Cimbrone - the Terrace of Infinity - just beautiful, the Temple of Baccus and the smell of the lavender walking up to it.

* Capri - we loved Capri - it felt like we were on our own private island. We loved exploring every corner of it. Hotel La Minerva was so peaceful and quiet and 5 nights was not too many days.

* Villa San Michele on Capri - I want a garden like Axel Munthe's - what a wonderful private garden.

* Pompei - the bakeries, brothel, amphitheatre

* Greek ruins at Paestum

* having parma (proscuitto) and local cheeses from the salumeria's

* the wonderful breakfasts from the hotels (la minerva in capri was our favorite breakfast - including a great selection of meats, cheeses, eggs cooked to order (3 min soft boiled - yum), fresh juices, cappucino, cookies, pastries

* La Tagliata and the hike there (1700 steps)- amazing food for an amazing value. Out best meal of the trip!

* Albergo Miramare balcony

* Hot chili oil with pizza - delicious! I don't know how I was eating pizza without it.

* Water with gas - this is my third trip to Europe and I have finally acquired the taste of sparkling water.

* Having access to good gelato, al dente pasta and wine cheaper than water everywhere.

* The bus ride from Sorrento to Positano - what a great work out for both arms!

* The ferry from Postiano to Amalfi - so convenient and what a great view.

* Hearing "buongiorno" and "buona serra" from the friendly locals.

* The old man, (he reminded me of Geppetto from Pinochio) making my sandals
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Hi,

If you go to Naples you must go to the Capella Sansevero. It is a small Baroque chapel with serveral statues. The body of Christ lying on a pillow under an incredibly realistic veil is an absolute must. I took a trip to this part of Italy with 14 family members. This chapel was my gift to them and all were impressed. Have a great trip.

Yipper
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 04:16 PM

It is likely you had a hard time finding Salvatore and Gennaro's website because you have a misspelling of their names. They are Salvatore and Gennaro (not Gennore) Here's a link to the website:

http://www.gennaroesalvatore.it/

enjoy yourselves!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -