Your thoughts on the Rhine River

Sep 18th, 2000, 04:30 PM
Margaret

Your thoughts on the Rhine River

I am wondering if the Rhine River, in Germany, would be a great place for a vacation. My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. We will have 10 days to celebrate. Anybody have any thoguths about this place, or other suggestions?
Thank you!

Sep 18th, 2000, 04:48 PM
Tony

Are you talking next Summer? You do need good weather to enjoy the Rhine fully.
We had a magical cruise a few years ago from Rotterdam in Holland, to Basle in Switzerland. Truly First Class. After doing the cruise you do feel the urge to backtrack to the castle and wine area between Koblenz and Rudesheim and take a closer look, but the 5 day cruise is really super.
Go to www.rivercruises.com for the details of KD Rhine Line.

Sep 18th, 2000, 06:13 PM
jeff

I went to the Rhine 2x in 2 years. It is beautiful and powerful from a natural/environmental standpoint. Consider doing a little hiking while in the area. Adding to its attraction is the fact that it is studded with wonderful wine towns and castles to tour. If you can get the search engine to work, try searching for "rhine" or "mosel". Which reminds me: the Mosel is also spectacular...

Sep 18th, 2000, 08:21 PM
nickie

I lived in the area for fourteen years, and last year went back and visited with my partner, who had never seen it. It is still a magical place.
You might want to consider getting a room at the Auf Schonburg castle in Oberwesel - a fairy tale place to stay within the walls of a thousand year old castle. Then you could make a daytrip out of a Rhine cruise, viewing all the castles on the river. Another day you might go wine tasting, or visiting one of the castles (a truly remarkable one is the Marksburg at Braubach).
The Rhine river water itself is no longer pretty - barges and other river traffic have long ended that, but the pretty countryside, the amazing castles every few miles, and the wonderful folklore of the area make it a place not soon forgotten. There are excellent wines and food to be found in the area also.
Maybe you could make this your first stop, if you are landing in Frankfurt, and then continue to Bavaria, with its outstanding scenery, elegant King Ludwig II castles, and funlovong people, and depart from Munich . Definetely two different places, both wonderful for different reasons.

Sep 19th, 2000, 04:02 AM
xxx

My husband and I toured the area last Oct./Nov. We enjoyed the Mosel MUCH more. It has more charm and less people. The towns are by far less crowded and we never encountered one tour bus. The Rhine was a let down after having been in the Mosel region.

Sep 19th, 2000, 05:04 AM
Russ

The Mosel is indeed a wonderful spot and far less "discovered" by North Americans. The towns there are less impacted by the outside world than those on the Rhine, where trains, barges, and autos are perpetually abuzz. You can bike from wine town to wine town along paved paths that hug the river, take a day cruise on the river, take castle tours of Burg Eltz and Reichsburg Castle in Cochem, do some wine tasting, and enjoy some good food. Trains serve the region well between Koblenz and Traben-Trarbach. Side-trips to Trier, Luxembourg, Mainz and Cologne are do-able in a day. The scenery is spectacular.

But the Rhine is also amazing in its own way. The scenery is more dramatic here than on the Mosel; the size and speed of the river and the sheerness of the cliffs, with its abundance of castles and ruins, is unforgettable. I completely agree with the previous poster about doing some hiking here, too -- You will see the river as most people never do. From high above the rumble of barges, trains, and cars that ply the river valley, you can wander through vineyards and farmland along the Rheinhöhenweg path that skirts the cliffs. The views from here of the neighboring towns and the plateaus above are amazing. You can also bike along the river, cruise in a boat, tour a castle (Yes! go to Marksburg!) or wine-taste here, and there are some nice places to stay. Daytrips from a place like Boppard or St. Goar to Cologne, Mainz, or Trier are also do-able.

I'd take my wife to either or both of these spots for our anniversary if I hadn't already done so a couple of times! It might be good to split your stay with 4 days in each place -- Cochem on the Mosel is my pick for a central town with plenty of services and stuff to do, but the smaller towns are terrific, too if you want to really hide away. St. Goar, or the larger town of Boppard, on the Rhine, are very well-located and have a spread of accommodation options (the Castle-hotel Rheinfels in St. Goar has a magnificent setting, similar to the one mentioned in Oberwesel above.)

Sep 19th, 2000, 08:54 AM
Peter

I agree with all above 10 days would be just enough for both Rhine and Mosel. Both are really nice and accessible. You can do it by boat (although some sections are borring), by train or by car (both have more then 1 scenic road which run next to the rivers). For Rhine I recommand taking 46 (9 was a little less exiting). I would definitly stay in Rudesheim which has many narrow romantic streets / shops restaurants and hotels. Don't miss Burg Eltz and Reichsburg Castle in Cochem on Mosel.