Your Opinion About Visiting Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2018, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone, I'm planning a trip to visit the Emilia Romagna area of Italy in October and we will end up with a home base in Verona during a part of the trip. I was thinking of leaving our car overnight in Verona and taking the train to Venice for a day and a half visit to Venice. My question to you is whether we will be short-changing ourselves by only staying overnight. I thought we would start out early in the morning so we would essentially have 2 full days and one night there. I have heard so much about the hoards of people in Venice and I am a bit skeptical about visiting for longer than that. I thought by arriving there via public transportation and taking just an overnight bag, we'd avoid much of the drama. On the other hand, I don't want to feel like I should have allotted more time there. Your opinion?
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 06:27 AM

If you’re interested in a taste of Venice, you should be fine. This will probably be a surprise to many but personally we’re not particularly enamored with Venice and for me your time would be enough. We’ve spent 4 nights there lots of years ago and recently, last year, stayed 2 nights which was more than enough. It’s an interesting city, I’d see the main sites that interest you and it’s fun to walk around and get lost on some of the back streets. Last year we did a walking tour and enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy Venice and your upcoming trip.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 06:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For me Venice is at its best in the early morning and late evening, so I'd prefer 2 nights and only 1+ days, with the crowds the place is less pleasant and I'd plan to do other things like take a long vap trip to the south west and eat lunch down there
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 07:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We've spent at least 2 weeks in Venice over multiple trips. I keep wanting to fall in crazy love with the place, but it hasn't happened yet. May never happen. Oh well. I agree there are many interesting things to see/do, and it's more enjoyable in the early morning and evening.

Make sure what you want to see is open on the day/days you choose to go and have reservations for sights that offer them. Don't go if heavy rain and/or acqua alta is predicted.

Venice High Water Acqua Alta Forecast
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 07:26 AM

Swarming crowds are largely gone in October. Go 4 it.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 07:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PalenQ
Swarming crowds are largely gone in October. Go 4 it.
When was the last time you were there in October? Last time I was in Venice WAS in October and the daytime crowds were bad. Plus there were three cruise ships in port.

In the evenings and early mornings it was lovely, but mid day was pretty much a zoo. There were lots of places you could get away form it for sure, but every vaporetto full, and the St Marks, Rialto areas were crammed.

judyjayp: But as long as you stay over night and have some quiet morning and evening hours you can get a nice taste in your short time frame.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 07:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Without knowing what you'll be giving up elsewhere if you stay longer in Venice it's hard to say. Having said that I like your plan. Along the lines of Jean's comments if you have limited time you don't want to spend much of it standing in line. We have had passes while in Venice though I am not sure they paid for themselves. Here's one article but I am sure there are better ones:

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice...-connected.htm
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Great advice everyone. I think I'll take a super early train from Verona to arrive in Venice first thing in the morning to soak up some semi-peaceful time in the city before the cruise ships dock and the hoards arrive. I'll make sure I have reservations at the sights I want to see and then look forward to the crowds thinning in the evening. I suppose if the crowds are too much for us we can always just head out the next morning after breakfast and head back to Verona. I appreciate your replies.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 08:16 AM

To me the answer depends on how long you will have in lovely Verona.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

I'll allot at least 4 full days and nights in Verona, separate from the Venice excursion because we will be using that as a home base to visit the Veneto and Lake Garda area.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by judyjayp
I think I'll take a super early train from Verona to arrive in Venice first thing in the morning to soak up some semi-peaceful time in the city before the cruise ships dock and the hoards arrive.
That would probably have to be the 5:21 a.m. train from Verona Porta Nuova. Besides the cruise passengers, you are also traveling in the same direction as the commuters and land based mass tourists staying in the Mestre for cheap accommodations. The difference in the number of people riding Vaporetto in the morning between the boats traveling to the S-Lucia station vs. ones traveling to Rialto/San Marco is striking. The boats from the rail road station is overflowing with land based tourists trying to do the same things as you - wanting to find some semi-peaceful time.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 10:12 AM

We were there for one day - that was enough for me. Too crowded. I was not charmed.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 10:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Crowds in October? Most definitely. For many destinations in Italy, October is now the most popular month of the year.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 10:46 AM

We visited twice ...it is a magnificent city...nothing like it.
Yes, very crowded but
I'd gladly go back .
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 10:47 AM

sorry...I just realized it is an old thread.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 01:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by danon
sorry...I just realized it is an old thread.
This thread? It's brand new
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 02:29 PM

Our first visit to Venice was for five nights, since then we have returned to Venice half a dozen times, and we have spent about ten month in total in Venice. So clearly I am biased.
if you can give yourself more than a single night in Venice, you will appreciate it so much more.
Venice is not an easy place to visit, streets full of water, main streets just a couple of metres wide.
The main drag Station / Rialto / Piazza is horribly crowded, but once you move away you can discover a much more charming Venice.
Venice - a sort of trip report
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 02:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been to Italy twice. Both times only to Venice. 4-5 days each trip. I wish I'd had more. A lot more.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 02:57 PM

Where else can you ride down the Grand Canal and be gobsmacked every time? Where else is there "a drawing room of Europe" such as Piazza San Marco? Where else, where else, Venice of course. Sure the advent of cruise ships, cheap flights, day trippers has changed the experience, but really Venice with its Palazzos, Bascillicas, Museums and canals is a city like no other so even a day and a half is definitely better than no visit at all. Do your research, plan your time carefully and of course you must flock to San Marco like everyone else, but allow time to follow the signs per Accademia and visit the realitively tourist free Dorsoduro sestiere and onto San Polo and the magnificent Frari and even Santa Croce to see some of the most charming areas of Venice. You might stop and look around you and not see another person. I know I have. So after many visits, crowds or not I have a love and passion for Venice and even after a short time I'm sure you will too.

Last edited by DownUnder; Mar 15th, 2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 04:00 PM

I have been to Venice at least a dozen times and now try to go yearly. I especially like it during the winter but other times don’t have to be unbearable. I was there for a week in June 2017 and enjoyed it. You can look at the port of Venice website and see which days cruise ships are in port. On that day, take a vaporetto to Murano and Burano. Otherwise just stay away from St Marks during the middle of the day.
There is nothing in the world like walking out of the train station and seeing the grand canal at the foot of the steps. LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -