Your most amazing moment in Amsterdam?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am wondering -- what was your most amazing moment in Amsterdam? I will be going there for the first time with my husband. I love travelling in Europe -- he's "OK" with it. I want to make sure he has a great time so he'll want to return! I'm purposely leaving out his likes/dislikes to hear a variety of responses of your most favorite thing/site/moment in Amsterdam! THANKS!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:46 AM

I really enjoyed the Van Gogh museum. It is open and light, and of course there are a lot of beautiful V.G. paintings (and other artists, as well).
Really like the canal house architecture, very unique and appealing to the eye (so many varieties, some lean in/out/over a little due to settling).
Enjoyed walking in Vondelpark, sitting at the café watching skaters, kids, birds, etc.
The canal boat tours help you see a lot of the central city - you can sit inside and enjoy a beverage, or go sit out on the back open area, if it isn't too cold (can't hear the commentary, but it's fun).
We had a nice rice table at Srilanka
http://www.srikandi.nl/ - very delicious food. There's a Hard Rock just off Leidseplein, if your husband isn't too adventurous or if you just want something easy after flying or eating 'differently' for several previous nights.
I'm still trying to make it to a tower to get an overview photo of Amsterdam. This next trip, I'll try to make it to Westerkerk before the tower closes!
The trams are fun, very crowded usually, and do SECURE your belongings. You will need both hands to hold on to the pole, you won't be able to hold your handbag, wallet or anything. "Lost" my change purse out of my day bag on the tram (most money/cards, passport, etc in the moneybelt).
We really like Amsterdam - it looks and feels different enough to know you are 'not at home anymore' but very easy to navigate and communicate.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:18 AM

Jenson,
the best time to go to Amsterdam is the first week of May... By then the tulips are in bloom. The city is a great place to visit.. The canals, the museums, the buildings..etc..,
For me the most amazing moment was, when I went to the tulips farm.. I could not believe the scenery ... The tulips were in full bloom , miles after miles of brilliant colours, it was unbeliavable..Even today I can still see the beautiful vivid colours, it is an image that i will always remenber..
Bon Voyage,
Kismet
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:45 AM

My most amazing moment in Amsterdam was the taxi ride from the train terminal to the Holiday Inn Amsterdam. All I can say is that it was like being in a race car!

Amsterdam is a great city. Don't forget to visit the Anne Frank House.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:11 AM

Definitely visit the Anne Frank House. Go early as long lines can form quickly. Visit the flower market along the canal. Photo ops are numerous with the flowers and painted wooden shoes. The Rikjsmuseum is interesting, but not as much as the Van Gogh. Lots of fun restaurants. My vote is not to bother with a diamond cutting tour. (And be sure to watch for the bicycles; they have the right of way and get upset if pedestrians think otherwise.)
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:28 AM

My most amazing moment(s) in Amsterdam is not a tip I'm willing to share. ;-) But for a fun experience, be sure to do a canal boat tour as soon as you arrive.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 10:03 AM

Now, now Grasshopper -- this is a family forum

MY fave A'dam moment would be difficult to duplicate -- it was a freak snowstorm in March. For pictures try this: http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/af1a/#TL
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 10:30 AM

I'm sure this isn't really what you're looking for - but my most amazing moment was coming out of the train station and seeing the parking 'garage' full of bicycles. Row after row afer row.

My favorite sight was the floating flower market.

My favorite meal was the one we put together from this fabulous Italian Deli and ate it in the park.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 11:02 AM
jor

Your original question said your most Amzing moment. So here it is. Getting propossitioned by street hookers.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 11:08 AM

Had to share a moment in Venice because of the "freak snowstorm" item.

We were walking in a big square filled with vendors one April when it began to snow - heavily.

The fish sellers broke in to "Silent Night."

It was funny and touching at the same time.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 11:14 AM

I recommend attending a concert at the Concertgebouw. The accoustics are wonderful. During the intermission, there is a mad dash by the crowd to the lobby and then the whole place is awash with the smell of beer. Close to the concert hall and museums is a restaraunt named Small Talk that is full of artists and musicians enjoying good Dutch food. Have fun.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 01:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
One evening I happened upon the act of two street performers who ate/danced with fire in the square of Leidseplein district. Very 'road-warrior' in dress and music. I'd definitely give them an "amazing" rating!
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 01:50 PM

Two moments. First, seeing that the huge pumps that drained the Haarlemmer Meer 2160 years ago were labelled as made in Cornwall. The pumping station is now a museum. Second, finding that there was an active Jewish resistance to the Nazis, with their own clandestine newspaper. This you learn at the museum of the Dutch Resistance, an inspiring place. They did not go gentle into that bad night.

[email protected]
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 02:41 PM
JMM

The Rijsmuseum (sp ?) where I saw my first Vermeer.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:43 PM

My best adventure was living on a housebost for a week. Sitting on the roof and enjoying the local "flavors" while the world floated by. The only downside was the invasion of mosquitoes on the fifth night. Bring bug spray.
Boats are stationary and available through several sources. The cat next door even came in through the portholes for treats and a pat. Also really enjoyed the coffee shops and day trips to the region (Alkmaar, Harrlem, etc.). I spent one night upon arrival at a canal-side hotel. It cost $300/night but was worth every penny as I sat in the two-story suite overlooking the canal at night through the large open floor to ceiling windows.
I smoked the local "speciality" and ordered the best grilled cheese sandwich and glass of milk I had ever tasted from room service. Must have been the "fresh air".
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 01:40 AM
Intrepid

I suspect one of YOUR "most amazing moments" in A-Dam will be when you suddenly wonder why it took you so long to get here!

Old Aug 24th, 2003, 03:40 AM

Shopping for shoes at about 3pm with my wife in the "shoe" street (sorry can't remember the name) when a six foot six inch transvestite in suspender belt etc (a al frank'n'furter), the make up, the whole lot,including six inch heels strode past us, we both turned and watched as he walked past and my wife said to me " I wonder where he bought those fantastic shoes !" ! She seriously thought about chasing him to ask the store ! The other fun thing was sharing stories about Australia with nearly every barman, they had all backpacked our country !
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 08:18 AM

Being there on the Queen's birthday when the city is alive with free activities: a big band playing jazz one street over from Damrak, a girl singer with a quartet in a small square just off Dam Square, all sorts of things happening on the houseboats.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 08:26 AM

Amsterdam is lovely. Memorable moments: my friend and I catching rides home on the back of bicycles under a glowing moon. And for eating: a wonderful, leisurely Reis tafel, with wonderful sample size bites of EVERYTHING. I think we went to some place called 'the Tiger' or something close to it.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 08:58 AM

Hi, Accustomed to fending for ourselves, we were surprised when the bellman at our hotel in Amsterdam insisted on carrying our (carryon) bags to our room. We understood completely, however, when we saw the stairway to our room. It's the second picture on this page: http://www.thetravelzine.com/ejht2.htm

Cheers!
Linda

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -