Reload this Page >

Your favorite hotels in Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:29 AM
Trish

I will be in Venice from April 10th until the 13 and traveling alone. Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay? Not a large impersonal hotel as I prefer the smaller places. Let's not worry about the budget. What was a nice place to stay in the middle of it all.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:04 AM
elaine

Hi Trish<BR>I've been on my own and stayed at the wonderful Flora. You will find mostly positive comments if you search on it here. My single was rather small, so if your budget permits try a double/or twin. They can run small too, but bound to be a little larger than the single.<BR>Perfect location.<BR>Just down the street toward San Marco is the Europa Regina, a larger hotel, but not large and impersonal. Considered one of the best.<BR>In the other direction, across the Accademia bridge, is the Ca' Pisani where some friends of mine recently stayed. Trendy art deco decor, excellent attentive service reported. It's about a 15 minute walk to Piazza San Marco.<BR>And I'll also mention one that I haven't stayed at but that I "inspected" and that I keep praising, and that is the Colombina. Just behind Piazza San Marco. Some rooms have views of the Bridge of Sighs.<BR>There's always the top-drawer Danieli of course, and nearby that one is the Metropole, both facing the lagoon.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:06 AM
Wayne

Trish--<BR>My favorite when I have no price restrictions isn't the Danieli or the Gritti Palace, although they are lovely. It's the Metropole, where Vivaldi once lived and wrote some of his compositions. The hotel has a number of rooms overlooking the Grand Canal and several overlooking the garden off to one side. The service is impeccable, the breakfasts great, the rooms and baths are roomy, and the noontime meal (extra cost) served buffet-style is an all-you-can-eat spectacular. You can arrive by nearby vaporetto or by water taxi right on a side canal, where you get out of the boat, open the door and step into the hotel lobby.<BR><BR>But for a lower cost and a nice environment more or less between San Marco and the Rialto bridge, I like the recently refurbished Hotel Ala, with its own private water-taxi landing dock to make it easy to unload your luggage.<BR><BR>There are so many others. These are the two, in different price ranges, that I consider to be somewhat special. I've visited Venice about 15 times, so I am more or less familiar with all the hotels. I know many will recommend the Pensione Accademia, which is also charming; but I think too many Americans know about it and keep it filled. Have fun.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:56 PM
steve

The Flora is extremely charming and very well-located. It's a 3-star so it's not "posh" but our room was charming and spacious(ask for a garden-view room). The staff was very nice and helpful. I've also stayed at the Bisanzio which is also a 3-star and has some charm plus helpful staff.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 06:33 PM
Betsy

My husband and I loved La Calcina, on the Giudecca (sp?) Canal. We had a room at the front of the hotel and could almost reach out and touch the ships on the canal. The hotel is very well run and the breakfast was top-notch. It's a short walk to the Accademia Bridge.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:08 PM
Andy

Trish- we also stayed at the FLORA and loved it-- tradtional Venetian furniture and those gorgeous Murano Crystal chandeliers in the center of the room..&gt;&gt;Smallest bathrooms in the world but so very charming.....<BR><BR>Would DEFINITELY go back there to stay!<BR><BR>Small and unprententious........good staff---beautiful breakfast room...<BR>Not bad on the budget either....YOu will love it-- LOCATION is terrific--just aroudn the corner from San Marco Sq--we would walk to the Sq every afternoon and have coffee and listen to the orchestras----You will LOVE it..