Search

YOUR 2009 EUROPEAN TRAVEL PLANS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YOUR 2009 EUROPEAN TRAVEL PLANS

Where are you going and when?

We (4 of us) are going to Holland in Sept on a canal boat for 1 week then Amsterdam for 1 week.

We may take a day trip to Germany from Amsterdam.

Our friends are going to Paris for 3 nights during our week in Amsterdam. (I was in Paris in 2001 for one week with these same friends)

This will be my husbands first trip to Europe so we are going to make our part less hectic.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:52 PM

We are going to London for three days then down to Dover where we will pick up a cruise ship and cruise home to New York City, very excited.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:02 PM

End of February, a long weekend in Barcelona - also for the carnival in Sitges.

Mid March, a week with friends in Ireland - probably also to see St Patrick's Day parade in Dublin.

Some time in May, one to two weeks in the Barcelona region. Probably vacation rental/ shared apartment with friends on the Costa Garraf, few km south of Barcelona.

No more plans yet, since I usually don't plan more than half a year in advance.

And yes, I do live in Europe, so those flights won't cost more than a dinner in a restaurant
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:27 PM

None, one Aussie dollar only buys about 65 euro cents these days and it's so expensive to get there from Australia : ( I'll have to make do with travelling vicariously through Fodor's.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:28 PM

oops : ( was supposed to be
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:42 AM

2 weeks in London and Paris this February.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:35 AM

11 days in Paris and Reims, leaving March 12.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:41 AM
rex

I'm hoping to take my brother and wife on a first-time-ever (for them, of course) trip. Probably "mainstream" destinations - - maybe with some "Deutschsprachige" segment(s). The Bavaria-Austria-Venice loop might be good.

But we're likely to be influenced by where there are bargains on biz/first class seats (at least the transatlantic portion). Considering L'Avion for example to Paris or Amsterdam.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:22 AM

Although our trip this September will be our 5th to Europe, it will be the first one without any other family accompanying us. I adore my children and my Uncle, but I do believe I'm looking forward to this.

Looks like we're headed to Croatia for 8 or 9 days. Then we'll head up to Germany for 2 or 3 days to say hello to family (and perhaps a quick peek at Oktoberfest)

This is a good post because I love to see where people are going!
Happy Travels,
H
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:27 AM

I leave for London May 20 for 2 weeks. Got a first class seat with miles & found my favorite flat that was taken off the market when sold but is now rented again & I nailed it.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:14 AM
tod

Heading for the Emerald Isle in early May for another motorhome trip! We loved seeing England so much this way, we have decided to spend 10 days travelling around Ireland before arriving in Paris for about 8 days at the end of May. In between, calling on friends in Manchester - and then flying home but not sure whether from London or Frankfurt at this stage.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:22 AM
tod

Cathies............we are going, even at 13.30 for 1 euro!!
I've told my kith & kin - don't hold your breath when they read 'The Will'! Ha Ha!
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:24 AM

I am traveling the 19th of May through June 2nd. I am going to Amsterdam for 3 days, then Thalys train to Paris (I got in the Hotel Des Grandes Ecoles, YAY!) for 5 days and finally fly to to Venice for 4 days, then back home

I was fortunate to get FF flights on Air France, a Delta partner.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:32 AM

March 12 - 27, Ireland and Italy - we're celebrating both my Mom's 50th (Irish countryside) and my Mother-in-Law's 50th (Rome).
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:05 AM

We will have two weeks in the Netherlands starting in mid April,
two days in Brugge, and one day in Brussels. Flying into AMS and out of BRU.

We have an apartment in Zandvoort which appears to be very nice based on the pictures on its website. Less than 1100 euros which includes tax and final cleaning.

In Bruges we are staying at the Hotel Albert 1 and will be taking the Quasimodo triple treat tour..
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:41 AM

2009 is our year of exploring England...our GBP isnt doing so well so may as well spend it in the UK!

Beginning of May 10 days in the Lake District/Yorkshire

Day trips to Rye, Hastings, York throughout the year weather permitting.

Oct a week in a cottage in Cornwall (any suggestions of a cottage on a beach that allows 2 small pug dogs??)

Sept 1 week in Paris with my bro and his fiancee

We are thinking either Munich for our annual 4 day pre-xmas trip, or renting a cottage in the Cotswolds and bringing the dogs...sit around a fire, relax, read, drink in the local pub...toss up really!
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

aaaahhhh,

to get up, drink my coffee and read these is a wonderful thing.

nice to read some are going back to old favorites, some are going somewhere new,some are going without kids and others are living through this site (been there, done that) ....

Tod,
I hear ya.. we are spending it all.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:52 AM

Leaving March 16th to cruise the Danube and finish up in Prague for five days.

Got a good deal with GCT.

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:07 AM

considering Sicily...never been...did a big chunk of European travel last year with two 3 and a half week trips (Portugal and UK, then Russia, Belarus and Ukraine)..may stay domestic, but we've both talked about Sicily coupled with our umpteenth visit to mainland Italy.

With granddaughters wedding coming up in May, we probably won't go overseas until fall. My old motto, folks...

"travel 'til you unravel!" (big, really big "80" coming up next month)

stu t.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:15 AM

I really didn't think I'd be going to Europe this year. I've been going to Europe almost every fall since my first trip (which was only a few years ago). Last fall I went for 2 weeks instead of one, which was great but I found it a huge financial burden.

So I figured I'd travel down south this spring with some friends on a much less expensive AI resort trip. Not my first choice for travel, but something fun to do with the girls. So I saved up for the trip, and was the only one who did (not the first time that's happened with this group).

So the trip is off, but I did some digging and found some great airfare deals. I'll be off to Malaga, Spain for my first solo trip this fall!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -