York to Helmsley itinerary needed.

Old Apr 6th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
York to Helmsley itinerary needed.

Hello

With a good deal of help from Fodorites, our trip to Yorkshire and the Lakes is taking shape.

We will begin in York, and on the day we leave there, we will pick up a rental car at about 9 or 10 in the morning.

We are actually staying at a farm B&B at Kirbymoorside, but I listed Helmsley in the topic title, because it seems more well known.

So, before we are done for the day, we would like to take in a few sights.

Among the choices are Eden Camp (my husband is interested in this), Nunnington Hall, Byland Abbey, Rievaulx Abbey, and Helmsley itself.

I am thinking of saving Castle Howard for another day, as we have four days in the area.

Can anyone suggest an itinerary taking in some of the above, to use in the time between when we leave York and then end our day in Kirbymoorside?

Are any of the above places a good fit with Castle Howard in one day?

At this point, I'm thinking of spending the next three days in this manner:
1. The coast, Whitby and south
2. Castle Howard and ?
3. Ripon and Fountains Abbey

All input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 11:26 PM

You might need to take the weather into account when planning your day. Eden Camp and Nunnington Hall are much more 'indoor' activities and would be far more suitable for a rainy day. Whereas Byland, Rievaulx and exploring Helmsley are far more 'outdoor' places and would be much better on a dry, fine day.
With a car you could do any of your suggestions together, but there's a lot to see and do at Castle Howard (including extensive grounds to explore) so I probably wouldn't 'do' another stately home on the same day.
A few comments -
1) You've not mentioned the NYMR which is very popular and a lovely day out across the Moors
www.nymr.co.uk
2) Ripon and Fountains is probably not a full day out although the Fountains Estate also includes Studley Royal Watergardens, deer park, Fountains Hall,St Mary's church etc
3) Shandy Hall is well worth a look
www.shandean.org/shandyhall.htm
4) Helmsley itself has a castle and a walled garden to explore.
Lastly I don't know if you like reading but I've just finished a book called The Plot which is about the history of some land VERY close to where you are staying (and mentions several of the places you hope to visit). I found it fascinating and I think it would whet your appetite all the more for your holiday.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plot-Biograp.../dp/1847080855
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Morgana, yes, perhaps we should leave the schedule more open for weather reasons. I think we will find a way to see all that we want to. And I wouldn't visit two stately homes on one day, either.

I had not planned on the NYMR. I will investigate. I'm not a lover of journeys for journeys' sake, as I have motion sickness, but I will look into NYMR a bit more.

Shandy Hall is intriguing. I am a fan of Tristram Shandy and enjoy Sterne, so I will add this to our list.

I read a great deal, and I have been directing my reading for our upcoming trip, so that your suggestion is well taken. I will try to get a copy of The Plot right now.

Thank you for your help.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

I ordered The Plot and it will be here in good time.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 07:04 AM

I'd skip the railway then - I love old trains but these can be a bit rickety. Also some of the journey is in deep cuttings so you can't admire the view all the way.
Will be interested to know what you think of The Plot! I thought I knew about the area and its history but this book showed me I didn't.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 08:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I won't add much since Morgana has given you such good info/advice. And definitely go where the weather takes you. But just one quick note - I would try to do Castle Howard and/or Eden Camp on the day you collect the car. They aren't far out of York and are just off a semi-direct route up to Kirkbymoorside. It would mean less backtracking later on and you'd be able to group some of the other sites.

Each one would take 3+ hours so it would be a full day -- but they are so near each other you wouldn't waste much driving time. W/ a 9:00 or 9:30 start, you'd have plenty of time for both sites, a nice lunch and still get to Kirkbymoorside before 5:00 or 6:00
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

janisj: I've been wondering about exactly what you suggest; thank you for your comments.

What about this little complication: I have decreased stamina due to health issues. 3+ hours for Castle Howard would suit me just fine, but then the same amount again for a site I'm not that interested in (Eden Camp is more my husband's taste) seems daunting.

Is there another place in can slip one of those into? I think I would not prefer two such time consuming places in one day.

By the way, has anyone actually visited Eden Camp? I'd like to hear more about it, and my guide books don't say much.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 03:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd probably still do both on the same day. They are just too near each other to really fit w/ much else. Your husband can run around exploring the whole place and you can have a sit down in the cafe and or in the pub. Put your feet up - have a cider or meal, read, relax and be refreshed for the drive on to Kirkbymoorside.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 10:48 PM

Hi, I've been to Eden Camp more times than I can count - I worked for many years in a Junior School and it was a favourite school trip out for pupils. I never tired of visiting, and my own children loved it too.
Basically it's a series of 'huts' and I am sure people find some of them more interesting than others - for instance I love all the social history stuff. But I'd be astounded if you weren't fascinated (and moved) by the place - it has a certain atmosphere and feel.
The website shows you the theme for each hut so you could look in advance and plan a shorter tour for yourself taking in what appeals to you, and agree a meeting point (Hut 16 or 17, the cafes) for your husband.
I'd suggest Huts 5, 7 and especially 10, even if you didn't do more.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 10:51 PM

Sorry - meant to add, there's another museum your husband would love just outside York - the Elvington Air Museum. However, it's pretty spread out so does involve a fair amount of walking. It's not really that well visited (we went late one afternoon and practically had the place to ourselves) but it's an incredible place, very nicely arranged - and that control tower is most definitely haunted!
www.yorkshireairmuseum.org
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

I've done more research on Eden Camp since yesterday, and I am interested. I know a bit about WWII in Britain from academic and personal interests; I think I will enjoy the museum. As I said before, stamina is a concern for me but with all this help, I can plan a good day that includes Eden Camp.

The haunted control tower! I'm not sure that I'm even going to tell DH about the Air Museum. He was in the USAF, but did not serve on aircraft. I don't know if either of us has an interest, but I'll research this too.