York Ring Road Hotels?

Search

York Ring Road Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2017, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
York Ring Road Hotels?

We will be staying in York and taking day trips to destinations North of the city. (Castle Howard, Nunnington Hall, Beningbrough Hall, Thirsk, and Pickering.) We will also be traveling South West (Saltaire, Harewood House) before heading up to The Dales.
We don't want to deal with the hassle of having a car in York and thought there might be a suburb within York where we might pick up our car, find accommodations with parking, and have easy access for our day trips. It appears that there is a ring road around York. Would proximity to the ring road provide a good solution?
We don't mind taking a taxi in to York if it is a short distance. Can anyone recommend hotels that would suit our needs?
Or, is there is another solution to the problem of having a car while staying in York?
Thank you.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 12:35 AM

This lovely B&B is a little way out of York, but convenient for Castle Howard and the like. You can always use the park and ride to go into the city.

http://hallfarmhouseyork.co.uk/ We stayed there for my nephew's wedding two year ago, in the Ryedale room. It was a great place to stay, and she will do evening meals on request.
The breakfasts are fantastic, we didn't eat there in the evenings though as we ate with my brother.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 12:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ring road; the south side is free moving and easy to use, the north side is a pig
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 01:50 AM

I would agree with that bilbo. My brother lives in Haxby, just north of York, and it is a pain to get to him and even more of a pain to get away from him!
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 02:29 AM

Completely agree with Bilbo - the ring road often resembles a car park. We avoid it like the plague. There ARE hotels on it but pretty dreary - that B&B suggestion sounds an excellent idea.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 08:13 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree w/ the others - don't stay on the Ring road. Since you will have a car, stay in a nearby village. That B&B looks lovely.

Or -- you could stay somewhere like Thirsk. Large enough to have a choice of accommodations and you can use the train to day trip into York.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 06:10 PM

A number of years ago we stayed at the BW York Pavilion Hotel, an older renovated place... It looks like they've continued to renovate over the years and it has free parking. From there we were able to walk into town.

https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/bo...vilion%20hotel
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 07:24 PM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Malton Rd off the north ring road near Monks Cross mall. It's exactly like it's American counterpart although the owner of Holiday Inn, IHG, is a British company. Free parking, free breakfast in breakfast room (buffet style). Availability of connecting rooms good for families. Can stay for free with IHG points. There are are a series of park and ride locations around the ring road and there's one close. Day pass for the bus system is cheap. Quite nice, functional, a reminder that much if the U.K. Is just like the US if you need one.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 07:27 PM

>>a reminder that much if the U.K. Is just like the US <<

Yep that does it for me -- go all the way to Yorkshire to experience 'just like home'. (But being a chain they probably did let you sneak the 'extra' kid in)
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for the quick responses. You've given us some good ideas and we've totally re-thought our itinerary. We'll pick up our car at York RR station and drive to Thirsk or another suburb that will serve well as a base for the Moors. Then we'll reverse the order of the rest of our trip. I believe this is called anti-clockwise in the UK. We'll eventually circle back to York, drop off the car, and enjoy a few days in York, car free and carefree.
It is very helpful to get a perspective from those familiar with the area. Also helpful to get us thinking outside the box. Using York as a base was not a very good idea. So happy with our new plans!
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 10:40 PM

Thirsk isn't a 'suburb' - it's a busy, traditional market town in the Vale of Mowbray and is famous for its James Herriot connection. It's nearly 25 miles from York.
It has a small railway station but this is a good mile out of the town.
It's a good location in that it makes the Dales and Moors accessible plus the surrounding roads are quiet.
Market days (Monday and Saturday) make the town much busier.
I think your idea of reversing your trip is a sensible one.
Can I suggest you add Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Gardens to your last of places to visit. A World Heritage Site and absolutely beautiful. Allow several hours to see it all. Easily reached from Thirsk.
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fou...l-water-garden
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 11:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thirk is a good base. Is the Crab and Lobstar still open?
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 12:33 AM

Yes! We like the food there but the rooms always look very pricey.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 04:11 AM

OTOH: we were the only Americans at the HIE so felt like just another British family on vacation. I suspect a lot of the B&Bs in central York, esp the 300 pound/night ones near the Minster with free parking, had only American clientele getting an "authentic" experience.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

We are definitely going to Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal. We both love history, architecture and gardens. We'll try to make it to Bolton Abbey too if time permits. The distances between sights aren't far but I expect the traffic in August to be fairly horrendous.

I'll have to check to see what day the market is held in Thirsk. We planned to visit the Herriot site and hope it isn't hokey. Note to self: Crab and Lobster.

We're members of The Royal Oak Society which is the American branch of the National Trust. We try visit many NT properties as NT does a tremendous job with restoration and interpretation. And best of all the price is right, as our admission is free! We get NT publications and are invited to hear speakers when they come to metropolitan areas in the US.

I haven't been active on Fodors for a few years. Do you think it would be worthwhile posting info on the benefits of Royal Oak Membership? Or, is that something that everyone already knows about?
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 08:47 PM

>>the Herriot site and hope it isn't hokey<<

Not at all hokey. It is larger than it appears from the outside - and includes mock ups of all the TV show sets, a medical museum, and more.

True story: Many years ago - in the 90's - when Alf's son was still running the veterinary surgery in the bldg that is now the museum, my friend and I drove into Thirsk just to get a look at the outside of the bldg.

We were across the street and a lady walked out the surgery's door carrying what looked like a wicker picnic basket. My friend was waiting for her to get out of the photo, when she turned around and sticking out of the basket were the two cutest baby goats. It turned out to be Lin's favorite picture of the whole trip.
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 01:30 AM

Bolton Abbey is lovely but it can get busy and car parking is expensive.
If you like ruined abbeys then Byland, Mount Grace, Jervaulx and Rievaulx are all nearer to you.
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info, janisj and Morgana.