York, England in Mid August

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 07:01 AM
Pat Pieper

York, England in Mid August

We will be in York for about three days in mid-August. Any suggestions for must-sees, favorite places? <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 09:01 AM
Martin

If yor feet are not too tired, try the city museum near the castle is nice. However, if you already walked your feet off in London (as we did), this nice museum became a chore--we should have just relaxed and walked the quaint streets instead. If you like excellent beer, the Samuel Smith's Brewery is not far from York (though I don't know if they give tours). This is possibly the best, or one of the best, breweries in Britain. Also, look for the often difficult to see wooden painted figures above the doorways scattered around the old town area. There aren't many, but if you look, you will find a devil as well as a sailor.

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 12:24 PM
Arizona

1. The British Railway Museum. 2. Walk the city's walls -- a great way to see the entire community. 3. The Minster -- probably the largest stained-glass window anywhere. 4. The Shambles -- medieval York district. 5. The Viking Village -- all sorts of stuff dug up intact. 6. Castle Howard -- a palace set in a magnificent park, about six miles outside town. Lucky you!

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 05:54 PM
Martin

Yes--definitely see York Minster. The cathedral is not the largest or most spectacular outside (though it is quite grand) but inside it's unbelievably beautiful. Also, the museum under the cathedral is very interesting and it's fun to see the foundations and Roman artifacts.

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 11:54 PM
Jan

I would go along with all the previous suggestions but would add that you should be prepared for everywhere to be very crowded,be prepared to queue for such things as the Yorvik viking centre. August is the height of the tourist season (I was going to say summer but that is yet to start in the UK this year!). I don't know if you will be travelling by car but parking can be a nightmare in the centre, far better to use public transport, though once there all the tourist sites are within walking distance.Enjoy yourself, York is a wonderful city.

Old Jul 17th, 1998, 05:42 AM
Sue

York is a wonderful city to visit. For something a little different go to Betty's for afternoon tea and some people watching. Also, York has one of England's best race tracks, and I think there is a race meeting in August, so an afternoon at the races would be fun. Sue <BR>

Old Jul 17th, 1998, 10:15 PM
CS

Go to the Fox and Hound Pub/Restaurant and participate in Quiz night. The licensee, Nigel, is probably the most friendly person we ran into on the entire trip and the food was superb. Steak and ale Pie..mmmm. It's at the intersection of A64 and A1237, very easy to locate if you have a car. <BR>Also agree with the recommendation of not trying to take the car to the center of York. They have a wonderful park and ride system with three locations where you park yours and take their nice buses to the center of town. Much, much easier than trying to get one of the 8 parking spots downtown. York is fantastic. You could spend a week or two just exploring all it has to offer. Have a great time. CS

Old Jul 18th, 1998, 05:08 AM
Laura

York is lovely, but your experience will be richer if you do some reading about the history before you go. You will be able to see things that the average tourist does not see. Richard III is an interesting subject.

Old Jul 18th, 1998, 05:49 AM
Iris

York is wonderful and we have visited a couple of times. Wonderful old hotel ajoins the train station if you are looking! Additionally, there is a fabulous museum, don't remember the name, within the walled city depicting old (but within this century) live styles, etc. For instance a kitchen is set with old appliances and kitchen utensils. There was an apothocary and lots else. It was the most splendid place to spend a rainy day I have ever recalled. Enjoy!

Old Jul 18th, 1998, 02:07 PM
greg

Adding few bits to previous replies: 1. York minster, Evensongs at 5pm everyday, Monday is said only (no choir) 20min, choir for all other day (50min). You can enter AFTER the evensong service has started, but not in the choir section. Like other cathedrals, the minster is going thru a millenium facelift, so you get to see the right right tower only. 2. Walls, the section starting from the train station toward the minster has pretty flower beds. Some wall entrances are very hard to find. Some tower, such as Monk Bar is not walk thru, you have to get down to the street level then climb up the stairs at other side. 3. From on side of walled section to other side is perhaps 10-15min by foot and many pedestrian only sections. Use shoes with good ankle support. The cobble stone streets are very uneven. Jorvik museum is a combination of walk thru and a rare RIDING exhibit.

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 03:02 PM
Barbara

Lucky you! York was my 2nd favourite city in England. I did the bus top tour first to get my bearings. A great idea. I listened to other people's recommendations, but here are mine. I was told the Railway Museum was so great. I thought it was just a waste of time and money. It's 8 pounds to get in, so that's 20 dollars, and I didn't find it very interesting. My favourite was Jorvik Viking Centre. I waited until a weekday and then went right when it opened, so there was no line-up at all. The the Castle Museum was wonderful too. I did tours on the weekends, because the city attractions are just too crowded to be enjoyable. My favourite tour was Castle Howard. Actually, it was a highlight of my trip. That place is not to be believe, it is so stunning. Real ancient Roman sculpture from the 1st and 2nd centuroes, ancient manuscripts, but it is the architecture. The main entrance has theis beautiful domed ceiling painted in Michaelangel style with nymphs and the 4 elements. A definite must see day tour. Oh, and take the little boat cruise on their private lake. The boat cruise guy is actually the son of generations of Castle Howard employees, and is FULL of wonderful and intersting information about the family etc.., but you'll have to ask him. The Little Shambles has market dayswhere you can get fresh fruit. The only hard thing getting used to in England is that everything shuts down at 5 pm, and all that is open are pubs, and the odd restaurant. I HIGHLY recommend the ghost tour that leaves from in front of the Art Gallery at 8pm. It is actually the guy who originated the ghost tour in York. He wasn't gory and freaky, just very interesting and captivating. We had the actual owner guy, and I think his name was Yorge oe something like that, HIGHLY recommend that one. I did a ghost walk in Edinburgh, and it was awful because it was a lot of play acting, and scare tactics, etc.., I'm not into that. Yes, the Minster is worth a couple of visits. Clifford's Tower - take it or leave it. Shopping in York is fun. Oh, also did a boat cruise on the River Ouse on a sunny day. Very relaxing. Or you can walk along the river as well. I took a tour of the Dales and Moors, and they were very nice. I recommend the more exopensive tour company because you get bigger buses, and usually have 2 seats to yourself. Pullman is cheaper,( a pound or 2) but more crowded. I went to the King's Head pub on the River Ouse, which is great on a sunny day because they have a lot of outdoor patio seating right by the river. And good food. Again, the weather in york is unpredictable. It rained almost every day I was there, so TAKE AN UMBRELLA. I swear it is your most important accessory. I hear the weather there is still very, very wet. If you want a B&B recommendation, just e-mail me. There is a late night corner store called Jacksons where you can gert fresh fruit, bottled water,. candy, and wine , at any time, just off of Gillygate on Bootham Rd. Walking the walls is very interesting as well. Anyways, have fun.