York & Yorkshire Dales

Search

York & Yorkshire Dales

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
York & Yorkshire Dales

We're thinking of traveling from London to Edinburgh by train and thought of stopping over in York for a 1-2 night stay in early August '06. Seems there's much to do in York, but I would love to see the Yorkshire Dales.

Questions:

1) Is 2 nights enough to see York and the Yorkshire Dales? Maybe base in York and do a daytrip to the Dales?

2) How does one get to the Yorkshire Dales from York? We won't have a car.

3) What are some recommendations for places to stay in both York and the Dales?
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM

I speak only as someone who has been thoroughly immersed in researching for a trip to York and the Yorkshire dales this coming summer, not as someone who has been.

The Dales, it has been said, could take a lifetime to explore thoroughly, with all of the walking trails and villages. Of course you could take a day, concentrate on one area of the Dales, and get a taste of them. The Grassington area has been recommended. I am concentrating on the Dentdale area--which, I believe, is technically in Cumbria. My impression of York is that the major sights can be seen in a day. I will be renting a car for the dales, and I think that would be ideal. A websearch for Yorkshire tours, daytrips, and excursions proved fruitless. Maybe someone else knows of one.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 08:29 AM

Okay, here's an option--The Dalesbus website. http://website.lineone.net/~travelinfo/dales/intro.html
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Guy18. I agree, I think a car rental would make more sense.

Day/Night 1: Train from London/KC to York, sightsee in York

Day/Night 2: Rent car @ train station in am, drive around Yorkshire Dales:

Driving itinerary could entail all or some (this drive is from a Frommer's guide, so totally open to other suggestions):

Starting in Ripon, Masham, Middleham, Leyburn, Richmond, Barnard Castle, Brough, Sedbergh, Hawes Bainbridge, Buckden, Grassington, Pateley Bridge, Fountains Abbey

Stay overnight somewhere in the Dales (any suggestions?)

Day 3: Drive to York train station, return car and take train to Edinburgh
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 09:33 AM

I trust you are going to Barnard Castle for Bowes Museum, to Masham for the Black Sheep brewery tour & Pateley Bridge to buy some glass.

As for the rest of your itinery, it's kinda heavy on travelling and very short on being able to stop & smell the flowers
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I figured it might be too much. What are the must-sees? We're willing to venture out a little bit more (e.g. Dent) if it's doable within the time-frame. I guess we're just trying to get a taste of the Dales this time around.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Along with the likes of Fountains Abbey & Malham Cove the ones I mentioned are the "must sees" in the Dales (yes I know Barnard Castle isn't really in the Dales) but for a day trip I doubt if you'd get around more than 3 of them.

The
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 10:16 AM

"We're thinking of traveling from London to Edinburgh by train and thought of stopping over in York for a 1-2 night stay in early August '06"

1) Are you travelling on a single ticket London to Edinburgh - if so you'll find most of the cheap tickets DON'T allow stopovers at all or only on a RETURN journey. It's cheaper to book 2 single tickets (about 4-5 weeks in advance) for London to York & York to Edinburgh
2) You DO have accomodation already booked in Edinburgh, if not get it done PDQ as August = Festival & accomodation starts gettting booked form the previous August

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 10:38 AM

I'm staying at a place called Smithy Fold in Dentdale. In York, I'm staying at the Bloomsbury Hotel. A Fodorite recommended it, and it looks pretty nice.

I think that you've got WAY too much planned for a day. Maybe you could spend some of that second day in the dales rather than heading straight back to York??? I'll be in the dales for about five days and my must-sees are Sedbergh (for books), Newby Hall, Fountains Abbey, and WAKS WALKS WALKS. Walking is the big draw for me, but it doesn't sound like that's your primary interest. If it were, I'd say stay put in the dales and forget everything else!!

I assume you'll be staying in London and not heading straight for Yorkshire. Otherwise, it makes more sense to fly into Manchester.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 11:09 AM

I agree with the others that your proposed itinerary is far too much. If you actually drive to all those places, you'll never actually be able to get out and see anything. I spent 4-5 days in the Dales last summer and saw only a fraction of what I would eventually like to see. What are you interested in? Walking? Castles? Gardens? Ruins? Country houses?

Last summer I stayed in Grassington, on the river Wharfe in Wharfedale, and I saw some of the places you mentioned on my way to and from there. For example, on my way I stopped at both Newby Hall and Fountains Abbey and the Water Gardens, and I still had time for a short walk in Grassington when I arrived. I then spent several days walking in the mornings in Wharfedale and then visiting old parish churches, country houses, etc. in the afternoons.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 11:15 AM

One more thing: if you would choose to stay in Grassington, I would highly recommend the B&B I stayed at last year: Bridge End Farm. It's about a ten-minute walk from Grassington itself, it's located on the river, and there's a holy well on the property. My hosts were quite nice and helpful, the breakfasts were good, etc., but what I really liked was awakening to a view of river Wharfe every morning, as well as the lovely walk into town.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 11:29 AM

Hi
I live in North Yorkshire, and know the Dales like the back of my hand. Your itinerary is far, far too much for a drive around the Dales. You need to AT LEAST halve it. Just actually driving to all those places will take you hours. You wouldn't have time to see them! The roads are narrow, twisty, sometimes with passing places and you will be sharing them with farm vehicles, delivery lorries - sometimes even sheep and cows.
The Dales cover a huge area and are divided into individual places such as Wharfedale, Nidderdale, Wensleydale etc. As you will be travelling from York you are best to explore the eastern ones. Pateley Bridge or Grassington (both in Nidderdale) would be excellent bases.
If you want to stay somewhere very quietBbut totally wonderful then I fully recommend the Yorke Arms in the tiny hamlet of Ramsgill. Don't be put off by the prices - it is Michelin starred food and a fabulous place! My favourite place in all the Dales!
www.yorke-arms.co.uk
The website www.yorkshirenet.co.uk is also good for accommodation.
If you search under my name you will find a load of stuff I have written about visiting the Dales. I hope you find it useful and informative. Please get back to me when you have narrowed your choices down and I'd be happy to draw up a route for you (have done this many times before!).
A car is absolutely vital!
Fountains Abbey is NOT in the Dales but as a World Heritage site it is worth a visit. But this would have to be at the expense of a full day in the Dales.
M
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! What helpful advice. I would hate to pass by this area and not see the Dales at all. I'm considering adjusting my itinerary to add another day in the Yorkshire Dales.

Morgana, I will certainly take you up on your offer to help with an itinerary.

Day & Night 1: Arrive in York via train from London (probably around noon), would like to stay at the Grange Hotel. I do not have train tickets yet (too early to purchase for Aug), but I will plan on purchasing Lon-York, York-Edinburgh tickets. The train will be one way as we are flying out of EDI.

Days/Night 2&3: Morgana, would love help here on an itinerary in the Dales. Nidderdale looks lovely, and I'm thinking of spending 2 nights at the Yorke-arms. Morning of Day 2, we'll pick up the car in York and head out to the Dales. I would love to see as many highlights at a reasonable pace. Interests are history, castles, charming towns, good food.

Day 4: Need to get back to York to pick up a morning train to Edinburgh. We have not booked our hotel in Edinburgh yet, I know, I know, the festival . . .it seems there are still rooms available, albeit we may have to pay up a bit for them, especially with a weekend stay.