York ????

Oct 26th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Kimberly

York ????

Deciding to stop there on my way to Edinburgh from Leeds... have several hours I can spend there (I think)...

Any suggestions??

I'm really interested in seeing this 'walled' city!!! I know that I must see Yorkminster and also Shambles Street (is that the right name for it?).

Thanks as always for the extremely informative and wonderful help that I receive from you all!!!!

Oct 26th, 2001, 12:15 PM
fiona

York Museum is fantastic-if you have the time. It's unlike any museum I've been to before. You can wander along streets set out as they were in the past and go into the shops-loads of other things as well. You also have the Viking centre. You travel through a village complete with sounds and even smells(!). there really is so much to do in York!

Oct 26th, 2001, 04:08 PM
Linda

You've made an excellent choice to stop in York.

First, you were close. It's not the Shambles Street, but just "The Shambles", very, very interesting street of medieval buildings, though the shopping is of the touristy variety.

Make sure you see The Minster, IMO one of the most beautiful cathedrals in the world.

And the Castle Museum (which is what I believe the poster above mean by York Museum) is a must-see. It is unlike any museum I've been in. Well worth any time you can afford to spend there.

Take a bit of time to walk the walls of the old city. It is very interesting.

The Jorvik Viking Center is, IMO, worth a skip. It does give you a unique perspective of the history of the area, especially since most people don't know that area was so heavily populated by the Vikings. And the tour can be quite interesting. But If you must skip something, skip this one. The lines are invariably long. And there is very little in the tour that is real. For most of the tour you ride a car through scenarios set up to show how the Vikings lived and fought. It has a bit of a Disney-esque quality to it. If you have the time and the desire, please do see it, but I'd put it last on my list.

If you'll be there in the evening, I highly recommend one of the Ghost Tours. They are excellent.

I also recommend Clifford's Tower, but make sure you know the story behind it first. Doesn't take long, but it is really interesting if you can make the climb.

Have fun in one of my favorite cities.

Oct 26th, 2001, 04:29 PM
jes

York is also one of my favorite cities,
and a visit there would be incomplete
without a stop at Betty's for a fat rascal, a pot of tea or a meal. It's located at St. Helen's Square, about a 5-8 minute walk from the train station. If you are waiting between trains and have to decide on just a few things to do in York, I'd suggest the Minster, a walk around the walls from Bootham Bar to Monk Bar, and then tea at Betty's.
Enjoy. York is a beautiful city and a warm and friendly one as well.

Oct 26th, 2001, 06:15 PM
ColleenM

I spent 3 days in York two years ago. It was a very fascinating city, and I loved spending time in Yorkminster. I was overwhelmed by its rich history. However, the people of York were the absolute rudest I have ever encountered. Everyone, from shopkeepers to waitresses to the hotel staff were unbearable. I don't know if it was because I was American or what. The worst was a man who yelled at me outside a restaurant toilet because he said I was standing too close to the door and accused me of trying to listen to him urinate!! I was like, What are you talking about? Are you insane? Even a vicar in the Cathedral was screaming at a little girl because she was jumping up and down on the paving stones. "Where is your mother?" he bellowed, "This is not a playground!" Yes, I agree York is a site to see, but warm and friendly? NO WAY!

Oct 26th, 2001, 07:09 PM
Gigi

Kimberly,
York is enchanting. Linda's advice is very good, as is the suggestion of lunch at Betty's. I was lucky enough to sit in the choir with the children during their Evensong. It was a lovely experience. You would want to be there at least 45 minutes before the service to sit with the choir.
Enjoy! And, I found the people to be quite pleasant.

Oct 26th, 2001, 07:26 PM
sylvia/florida

Kimberly,

York is one of my favorites! A guide friday tour will help to orient you and give a brief history of the town, if you are up for a ride. Or else go straight for a walk around the city wall.
The Minister is so prominent, hard to miss.

I absolutely loved the York museum and the grounds are a beautiful garden, with the ruins of an abbey. The York museum incorporates the abbey ruins into the museum.
As for Betty's there is a "little betty's" the original tea shop is a second story of the small bakery shop on The Shambles. It was a delightful find. Had read about Betty's and just stumbled upon the original. The newer Betty's is more restaurant like.

Oct 26th, 2001, 07:47 PM
sylvia/florida

Kimberly,

Haven't quite got hang of posting the messages...

The York museum is the York museum not the Castle museum as someone suggested. I'm glad to see some one else found it. I thought it was one of the highlights... we did not want to get caught in the crowds at Jorvik. I believe it's right outside Monks Bar, Monks bar is one city gate. It's all very walkable distances...enjoyable too!
You'll wish you had more time! I want to fly over just to go to little betty's. Every one we encountered was kind and accommodating. A little crowded on The Shambles and at the Minister.

Streets are called "Gates"
Gates(city) are called "Bars"
Bars are called "Pubs"

Happy trails from Sylvia

Oct 26th, 2001, 08:26 PM
cmt

I was in York once for about three days 16 years ago. It's my favorite walled city. I can't give any detailed advice because my experience was not recent, but I remember that I loved walking the walls, visiting the beautiful York minster, and strolling in the shambles. The people were friendly and natural, and everything about the city was pleasant. I think even if you have only a few hours, it's very much worth a visit.

Oct 27th, 2001, 05:56 PM
sandie.n

I am a regular visitor to this forum and a resident of the beautiful city of York do visit our city Kimberly it is a lovely place , although a few hours can hardly do it justice you willbe able to get a small taste of what it has to offer. The original old city is still surrounded by mediaeval city walls and you should make time to walk around at least one section of those (as you walk out of the railway station they are right in front of you!!!)Iwould then recommend that you do a city tour on one of the open topped buses that run all day every day you will see the bus stops on the roadside and they come by very frequently.That way you can see the most sites in the short time you have, the guides give a running commentary and are very knowledgable about the city and point everything out to you as you drive by.they do it in a very interesting way including amusing anecdotes whichbring it all to life and make it an interesting as well as informative experience.As some of the other posters have mentioned the Castle Museum is a Must truly unique. You can get off your tour bus outside the museum have a look round and then come out and rejoin a tour bus at no extra cost. I agree Betty's is a wonderful eating experienceand you should go there.If you get off your tour bus at Pavement Tthe Shambles is just to your right and form there walk up tp Stonegate a beautiful shopping Street that also contains one of the oldest pubs in Britain "YE OLDE STARRE INN",which is well worth a visit. From the top of stonegate you will see Minster Gates and the magnificent west door of York minster one of the finest Gothig cathedrals in the world allow yourself at least an hour for that. Hope this has been of some help and hope that you enjoy your visit.

Oct 27th, 2001, 06:01 PM
sandie.n

That should read "Gothic"-sorry !!!

Oct 28th, 2001, 05:18 AM
Judy

Hello Sandie, I have always wanted to go to York and am tentatively planning to go there for 3 days in March. I am waiting for the airfares to fall(I hope). Where would you recommend staying? B&Bs or Hotels? Should we fly into Manchester or London? Rent a car or train it? I think I would like to combine York with the Cotswolds for 3 days(for a total of six days)? or Lake district? I have been to London twice, and was just in Scotland in August.
My husband prefers to go to the UK, for the time being.
Judy

Oct 28th, 2001, 08:44 AM
sandie.n

Dear Judy, hope that you can make it to York in March,if you do you should fly to Manchester. There is a train which runs from Manchester airport straight to York railway station you won't even have to leave the airport.Your travel agent should be able to give you the details on that. York station is in the very centre of York and you will be able to get a taxi immediately outside the station to whereever you are staying ,it shouldn't cost you more than 6GBP.as York is a very compact city.Ithink it would be a waste of time and money hiring a car,particularly as all the sights and attractions of York are within easy walking distance of each other.As for where to stay this really depends on your budget. At the top end of the scale I would recommend The Grange Hotel on Bootham ,or the Royal Station Hotel both of which are five star with first class service accommodation and facilities. Middle range is the Bootham Bar hotel,next to the city walls, or Lady Anne Middleton hotel overlooking the river and the historic core of the city both excellent hotels with pleasant accommodation and good facilities.At the lower end of the scale many of the city's 365 public houses offer accommodation which is for the most part cosy and omfortable and more personal.These are too numerous to mention and I haven't stayed in any of them but if you visit www.This is York there is a full "where to Stay" section and also a link to the city's Tourist Information office who will help you find the right acommodation for your needs.The Cotswolds and the Lake District are both very beautiful ,in March I would personally choose the Cotswolds as the weatherin the Lake District (much further north) is likely to be much more cold and wet. To get to the Cotwolds from York justreturn to the railway station and get a train to Gloucester they run every one and and a half hours and take about three hours to get there.If you book your ticket to Gloucester on the day that you arrive in York you will save a considerable amount of money by booking in advance.Or go to wwwvirgintrains before you leave home and pay for your ticket by credit card and you will get for about half the usual price.When you get to Gloucester I WOULD reccommend hiring a car as you will need to drive to the various towns and villages in the Cotswolds. I hope this is useful to you, have a great time.

Oct 28th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Linda

Sylvia, thank you for the clarification on the York Museum and Castle Museum. I'm never too old to learn something new, I guess.

Oct 28th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Judy

Sandie, thanks so much for the feedback. I am going to make reservations to come March 11-19. I just talked my husband into going! I can not wait.
I am thinking of flying into London instead of Manchester, because the airfare is the lowest. Manchester does not seem to have bargain fares so far. Then take the train to York. My husband would like to go to Wales, as he is part Welsh. So maybe Cardiff and Wales. I am not that sure how to do this, and I appreciate all your very good advice. I think a middle priced hotel would be best. The Bootham Bars hotel and Lady Ann Middleton Hotel sound like just the thing.
I love the planning almost as much as the going..... I will go to the Library tomorrow an start my research.
Thanks again, Judy

Oct 29th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Pat

If you're at all interested in a B&B in York, I would highly recommend the Four Seasons Hotel, run by Steve & Bernice Roe. My family was there this past summer. It is located on a quiet street a short walk from city center and is beautiful. We especially liked the lounge for relaxing after touring and Steve & Bernice were so friendly and welcoming. Get more info at
http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/fourseasonshot.html.

Nov 8th, 2001, 04:03 PM
Paul.

Don't miss Barley Hall down an alley of Stonegate - fascinating place to visit.
They have a web site at:
http://website.lineone.net/~barleyhall/