Reload this Page >

Yom Kippur services in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2001, 02:07 PM
rachel

Does anyone know of an email address or a website that might offer information on Yom Kippur services open to visitors? I've done searches on the internet and have found <BR>several websites, but none of them seems to offer a contact for a Jewish "HQ" in Rome. <BR>I've looked at the following websites <BR>www.shamash.org <BR>www.bnaibrith-europe/org <BR>www.ecjc.org <BR>www.jewishroutes.com <BR> <BR>I've also emailed <BR> [email protected] <BR>twice but have had no response.

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:12 PM
jan

Ask your Rabbi for a contact. Or call the orthodox or conservative or reform organisation in yourcountry for a list of synagogues.

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Ed

The Sinagoga Ashkenazita in the Ghetto is open only for services ever since being attacked in 1982. Its phone number is 011-39-06-6840-061. <BR>twen

Old May 14th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Howard

Ed, if that is the name of the main synagogue in Rome, then it is open for more than just services. It is also open for tours. We had a most interesting guided tour of the facility in November 1999. What gave you the impression that it is only open for services?

Old May 14th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Ed

Yes, that is the main synagogue. I believe the only one. Also one in Florence and Venice I think. <BR> <BR>And, yes, I think I do recall that tours were possible. It's not open, though, in the sense of most of Rome's places of worship, unfortunately. It's a quite historic building, but hate has also made it a target in the past, sadly.

Old May 15th, 2001, 07:59 AM
jhm

I have been to Purim services at the main synagogue in Rome, and they were wonderful. It is a gorgeous building, and the melodies are beautiful. <BR> <BR>Call the synagogue first and let them know that you will be coming. I am not sure what their policy is in terms of ticketing, etc. (for those not in the know, many synagogues, due to space constraints, use tickets to control crowd flow during certain holidays). Certain synagogues ask for a donation. <BR> <BR>The Roman Jewish community is very welcoming. You should try to go with a long skirt (I'm assuming you're a woman); forget the camera, of course, but do bring your passport. Try not to bring a bag, as there is very tight security and it will be searched and probably held in custody while you are inside. <BR> <BR>The front office is very hospitable to people who are there to attend services and will give you the requisite information. The guards of the synagogue, however, are mistrusting (as their job requires), so you may need written proof of some kind that you are there to go to the service. The people at the office will be able to tell you.

Old May 15th, 2001, 11:35 AM
rachel

thank you all for the information. <BR>Before you all responded, I did more swanning around on the internet and <BR>pursued one other suggestion, and I got a return email from a synagogue located at <BR>"via Cesare Balbo 33, basement floor." <BR>Is that the one you all have in mind? <BR>If not, do any of you know where this one is? <BR>Thank you again.

Old May 15th, 2001, 12:16 PM
jhm

I never heard of the other one. When people talk about "the" synagogue in Rome, they mean the one by the river at the edge of the ghetto (stole the following from Frommer's; apologies): <BR> <BR>Across from the church stands the Sinagoga Ashkenazita (tel. 06/6840061), open only for services. Trying to avoid all resemblance to a Christian church, the building (1874-1904) evokes Babylonian and Persian details. The synagogue was attacked by terrorists in 1982 and since then has been heavily guarded by carabinieri (a division of the Italian army) armed with machine guns. It houses the Jewish Museum (tel. 06/6840061), open Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm, Friday 9am to 2pm, and Sunday 9am to 12:30pm. Admission is 10,000L ($6). Many rare and even priceless treasures are here, including a Moroccan prayer book from the early 14th century and ceremonial objects from the 17th-century Jewish Ghetto.

Old May 15th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Howard

jhm is quite right about the Rome synagogue. It is, indeed, a beautiful building and the people are most hospitable. He's also correct about leaving the camera home. No picture taking is allowed. <BR>I still shiver, however, when I think of the need for guards with uzis standing outside the building. It is a grim reminder of a tragic terrorist attack there in the '80s.

Old May 15th, 2001, 01:34 PM
jhm

I'm a woman. : ) ("JHM" are my initials.)...but thanks!