Yet another Oyster/Travel card question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize in advance because I know this is an often asked question. I did read up on the topic, but hopefully someone can help me with specific info.

We're arriving on Tuesday for a week's stay in London and plan on taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then either taking a taxi or tube to the Hilton Metropole.

I was planning on loading a 7-day travel card onto an oyster, but we will be making a few other train trips as well as wanted to find out how best to cover these trips. I've gathered that I don't need to bring a passport sized photo - is that correct?

The first train trip will obviously be from Heathrow to Paddington. We will also be visiting friends in Letchworth (leaving from King's Cross station). Finally, I'm planning a day trip to Windsor.

Can all of these fares be covered on the Oyster card, and what if any supplements will I have to pay for additional train travel.

Thanks so much for answering my redundant questions. It's all so confusing!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:43 AM

I'm afraid not - Oyster only covers you for Transport IN London. You will need to purchase train tickets from the main London departure station you will use for each of your trips outside of London.

We have a maddeningly complicated train system run but a load of different private companies (thank Maggie Thatcher), so don't feel stupid for getting confused. We all are!

What this means is that, for instance, the Heathrow Express is run by one company whilst your train to Letchworth will be run by another. And Oyster has nothing to do with any of them.

However, if you were to get the TUBE from Heathrow, rather than the Express train (slower but cheaper), then you CAN use your Oyster card. But, presuming you'll just be buying a travelcard for zones 1-2, you would need to add extra money onto your Oyster card to pay for this.

It's sound complicated but really isn't - the Oyster card can operate both as a 'pay-as-you-go' card and as a prepaid weekly or monthly travelcard AT THE SAME TIME. So, I have a monthly travel card and I also load on, say, £10 extra. This way, if I travel outside the zones covered by my travelcard, then some of my stored money will automatically be used to cover the extra expense.

See? Clear as mud.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kate - it is clear as mud, but it's starting to be a little less murky with each reading.

Just for clarification - no picture is needed for the card, correct?

Thank you!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 09:04 AM

No picture needed to purchase a 7 day zone 1 & 2 travelcard on oyster for adults....those who are not adults, well someplace in the 65 page pamphlet on tfl fares, you will find the answer is maybe yes but maybe no unless... but for adults no real complicatons.

And a nice thing about buying a 7 day pass on oyster, unless it has changed very recently, they waive the £3 deposit!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification, xyz! We are definitely adults, at least chronologically.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
On our recent trip to London, I just went to the ticket window at the tube station and told them that I wanted to travel in zones 1&2 for 7 days. They gave me the 7 day pass on the Oyster cards which we just flashed over the sensor on entrance and exit. No photos, no mess, no fuss. When we traveled to Windsor from Waterloo station I was able to buy our train tickets from the ticket machine. The lines at the ticket windows were horrendous so I went to the info booth just in front of the windows and told the attendant where we wanted to travel. She told me what line and how to watch for the platform announcement. There is also an attendant at the ticket machines to help you with any questions you may have.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:52 AM

BTW, Hilton Metropole is only 5-10 min walk from Paddington along Praed street. Because of one-way traffic around Paddington Station, you 'll be best off just walking there.

You can take tube from Heathrow, but it will take longer and it's beyond Zones 1-2 you'll probably need. Neither Edgeware Rd nor Paddington is on Piccadilly Line, so you'll need to change once. Not convenient if you're schlepping luggages.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Note that travelcards (on an Oyster card or on paper) are valid on trains as well as tubes and buses, but you must buy any supplementary tickets before starting your journey. A travelcard for zones 1-2, for example, will cover the train journey from London Waterloo to Putney which is on the line to Windsor: therefore, at Waterloo station, you only need to buy a train ticket from Putney to Windsor.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:27 AM

valid on trains but not on Heathrow Express.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 05:18 AM

Does the Oyster card work on/at the DLR (light rail) system?
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Yes. you can use oyster on DLR (also known as dodgy local rollercoaster).
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 09:17 AM

It was the Grey Man (aka John Major) who privatised the British railway system
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 09:36 AM

>>dodgy local rollercoaster<<

Not, I think, by people who actually live there and use it.