Yet another Ireland itinerary question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recognizing there have been many questions about short itineraries on this site, I do have another one for our upcoming trip next June. We have a total of 7 nights for touring. And while we don't want to do an inordinate amount of driving, we did want to see as much of the southwest as possible. (This is my second trip, but the first was about 20 years ago, and it's my husband's first. And he's half Irish!)

So in addition to whether you think the following itinerary is reasonable and doable, I'd like to know whether reservations in early June are necessary. We generally prefer to know where we're spending the night, but a little flexibility would be good here.

Also, I know there are many opinions on this, but if you could only do one, which would it be--Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula. (I've been to both, but again, a long time ago and in the pouring rain.)

This is what we're thinking:

Fri. 6/4 -- Fly to Dublin; arrive midnight. Stay near airport

Sat. 6/5-- Pick up car in morning. Visit Glendalough; Wicklow Mts. etc.
Stay Kilkenny

Sun. 6/6-- Drive to Kinsale. See Rock of Cashel and Cork on way.

Mon. 6/7-- Kinsale. See Cobh, etc. (Note: Cork City Marathon)

Tues. 6/8-- Drive to Kenmare. Do either Ring of Kerry or Killarney Nat’l Park/Lakes in afternoon.

Wed. 6/9 -- Drive to Dingle Peninsula. Stay in Dingle.

Thurs. 6/10 -- Drive to Dublin. Drop off car.

Fri. 6/11-- Dublin

Sat. 6/12 -- Fly home a.m.

Thanks to all in advance for any advice/suggestions.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 03:45 PM

The obvious question is why fly into Dublin if your area of interest is the south west? Where are you flying from and can you fly into Shannon or Cork. You say you don't want to do an inordinate amount of driving but looking at you itinerary that is all you will be doing. Why not pick two or three locations and make day trips from there. For instance everyone on this site who has spent any time in Ireland will tell you that one night In Dingle is not enough. Fron Kenmar you can do both the National Park and the ROk ( many say overrated) or stay in Killarney (getting bigger all the time) and do the Gap of Dunloe. If you must fly in and out of Dublin perhaps you should look at going north this time into Mayo or Donelgal, lovely coastlines and nice villages. Have fun
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the north suggestion; the reason we're flying in/out of Dublin is because we're coming from Dubrovnik and that's the AerLingus routing.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Since you have to fly into Dublin, I'd consider flying directly on to Cork and collecting your car there. Then you can wend your way back up and across the country to Dublin before flying out. This will cut a big chunk out of the drive and backtracking. You really don't have time for the complete loop from/to Dublin.

(You could also take the train to Cork - but since you'll be at the DUB it would be very easy to just fly on to ORK)
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

OK, I get that we're doing too much. But we get into DUB at midnight, so rather than staying over and flying out again later in the morning I'd just as soon drive to Cork; we really don't want to miss Glendalough. So back to the drawing board....
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 06:23 AM

Glendalough is beautiful. If you must fly into Dublin, I think that's a good plan. As far as your ROK/Dingle question, my personal preference would be to visit Killarney National Park from Kenmare and then drive around Slea Head in Dingle. You'll see part of the Ring of Kerry on the drive between Kenmare and Dingle anyway, and that would give you some variety.

All that said, your schedule doesn't leave you much time to spend in any one place. It took us 2-3 hours to get from Kenmare to Dingle. To add the Slea Head loop in there on the same day would be a lot of time in the car, and that's just one day. The rest of your days would also be a lot of drive time. Since you're locked into leaving and arriving from Dublin, I'd at least think about choosing either Kenmare or Dingle (not both).
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 07:25 AM

It does take a lot of driving time. It doesn't look like it from a map. Maybe viamichelin could give you the driving times from point to point so you would have an idea of time you need.

I would prefer Dingle - the Ring of Kerry was okay but just a long drive.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Maybe viamichelin could give you the driving times from point to point</i>" Yes - it does. But one normally needs to add 30% to 50% to the calculations. Just plan on making approx 35 mph over much of your itinerary. Less in some places.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, I have used viamichelin for other trips and have found they generally underestimate time. AA UK also has a good map program. I think we've decided to forgo staying in Dingle and spend two nights in Kenmare. Then we can see what we want to do--depends on weather and how we're holding up. (Ireland is the last week of a month-long trip before we head home.) Now, I do use tripadvisor, and have found it very useful for accomodation (not restaurants), but if anyone's got any great recommendations for B&B's in the countryside I'd really appreciate it. (We're set for Dublin, using Hilton points.)
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 05:57 AM

Consider driving the Ring of Beara, if you like, as well - it is much less touristy than the Ring of Kerry
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 06:23 AM

Hello,
I won't comment on your driving times since everyone else has already. I just wanted to remind you that many things are closed on Sunday's in Ireland or have reduced hours. So for your Sunday trip to Kinsale, including the Rock of Cashel and Cork just keep that in mind! I went to the Rock on a Sunday and it was still open, but the interpretive center at the base for instance was not.
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, didn't think Sunday would be a problem at the Rock. Other problem is the marathon in Cork. So we've reversed the itinerary, will go directly to Kenmare on Saturday and do Ring of Beara on Sunday. Then work our way back to Dublin. That work?
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 01:35 PM

5-kilkenny
6-dingle (great pubs/dining/town/shopping)
7-dingle (slea head)
8-kenmare (via ROK thru killarney park/ladies view/moll's gap...while in killarney could stop at ross castle or muckross house)
9-kenmare (beara peninsual/healy pass)
10-cahir/rock of cashel (this is very pretty at night, stay at base)
11-dublin
12-home

my favorite is dingle slea head, ROK between killarney and kenmare, and healy pass...i didn't find cobh to be that interesting...if you do go, we did blarney,midleton, and cobh on day trip from kinsale...charles fort in kinsale was interesting and the "ghost" tour was fun
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 07:36 PM

I would do ROK instead of Dingle simply because you won't have to drive so far. The Pass to Dingle can also be fogged up and more fog and rain in Dingle. Weather not quite as dependable.(If I remember right)
There is LOTS to do from Kenmare -Killarney Natl Park,Muckross House, Ross Castle, Muckross abbey, Killarney Lakes...
A highlight of our family trip in 2001 was a visit to Skellig Michael Rock - 6 miles off the southern coast of the ROK via boat from Port Magee. "Google" Skellig rocks and take a look! Our adult children and their spouses LOVED the trip. Frommer talks about the trip in his guide book. Take a look.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the suggestions. Based on what I've been reading, it seems like the Beara Peninsula is top of the list in terms of "Rings." Would love to do Skellig Michael; is time dependent.

Happy New Year to all.