Reload this Page >

Yet another Andalucia question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:50 PM
panvan

I've looked in the other Andalucia threads and have come up with this itinerary for my husband and me (the distances are approx). Are there things you would drop? Things to add? Our time is tight, and I would like to have 3 beach days at the end. HAs anyone stayed at these hotels? Thanks for your feedback!<BR><BR>Day 1<BR>Arrive Malaga, drive from Malaga to Ronda (70 miles). Spend the day exploring the white villages and Ronda.<BR>Hotel San Gabriel <BR><BR>Day 2<BR>Drive from Ronda to Jerez (119 km) in the morning, where you can visit a local sherry wine cellar and the royal school of equestrian arts to see the training of the Andalusia horses. <BR>Hotel El Coloso <BR><BR>Day 3<BR>Drive from Jerez to Sevilla (100 km). Explore Sevilla.<BR>Casas de Juderia 140 euros<BR><BR><BR>Day 4<BR>Spend the whole day exploring the delights of Sevilla. Visit the largest gothic church in Christendom, the minaret tower of an ancient mosque. Walk through the barrio de Santa Cruz.<BR>Casas de Juderia<BR><BR><BR>Day 5<BR>Drive from Sevilla to Cordoba (65 miles). Discover "la Juderia" and other areas of this historic city.<BR>Hotel Mezquita <BR><BR>Day 6<BR>The morning can be spent visiting the mosque/cathedral in Cordoba and then in the afternoon drive on to Grenada where you will spend two nights. Drive from Cordoba to Grenanda (100 miles, 2 hours). Visit the Moorish Albayzin district and Sacromonte area <BR>Hotel Guadalupe – 82 euros<BR><BR>Day 7<BR>Grenada - A full day in Granada to visit historic areas like Alhambra & the Generalife.<BR>Hotel Guadalupe<BR><BR>Day 8, 9, 10<BR>Drive from Grenada to Nerja (65 miles) arrive late day. Full days 9, 10 on the beach<BR>Hostal Lorca – 50 euros<BR><BR>Day 11<BR>Drive from Nerja to Malaga (60 miles) and depart <BR><BR>

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Maribel

parvan,<BR>I think your 3 final days in Nerja are a fine idea. For ending your journey with relaxation on the beach, this is a nice place to be. I'm not familiar with the Hostal Lorca. <BR><BR>I'm sure you'll enjoy the Hotel San Gabriel in Ronda. The owners run it with loving care, it's beautifully decorated and an amazing value for the comfort and style. A charmer.<BR><BR>If you arrive in Jerez on a Tues, Thurs. or in high season, even Fri., you can attend a noon performance of the Royal School of Ecuestrian Art. Other days you can just visit the stables and see them training. See www.webjerez.com<BR>You wouldn't actually need to overnight in Jerez, unless there's something other than the sherry bodega visit and horse ballet you want to experience (or unless you want to keep your lodging expenses down). Seville is so close.<BR><BR>Re Seville, I think you may want 3 nights rather than 2, as it takes at least 2 full days to see all the major sights. And many here have high praise for the Casas de la Juder&iacute;a-very comfortable, pretty, romantic, although it's your most exp. lodging. You'll want to savor Seville rather than rush through it, I think, particularly in the extreme summer heat. The hight temps require one to move very slowly in Andaluc&iacute;a in June, July, Aug. <BR><BR>You could do a day trip to C&oacute;rdoba on the AVE high speed train, only 40 min. away. The Juder&iacute;a, where the Mezquita is located, is quite compact and easily walkable. But if you specifically want the overnight experience in C&oacute;rdoba and to make the shorter 2 1/2 hr drive to Granada from there, then do so. I don't know the Hotel Mezquita, only the quiet little Albucasis (under 70 euros) also in the Juder&iacute;a.<BR>See www.karenbrown.com<BR><BR>Again, in summer, with the heat/crowds, I do think you'll need those 2 nights in Granada, even though it can "be done" in just a day, in high season it's exhausting. And make sure to get those tickets for the Alhambra well in advance.<BR>www.alhambratickets.com <BR>The Hotel Guadalupe on the Alhambra hill is fine. We enjoy staying up there-very romantic at night-but others prefer downtown. We find some of the downtown area quite scruffy. And I would really avoid the gypsy caves in Sacromonte. Be aware that they are very much a classic "tourist trap", and you need watch your wallet extremely carefully. You can see a better quality flamenco show without the worry/hassle in Seville at one of the established "tablaos" like Los Gallos or El Arenal or impromptu, genuine flamenco "cante" at one of the bars in Triana, across the Gualdalquivir. <BR>And in Granada I'd avoid wandering through the Albaic&iacute;n late at night, although a trip up to the Mirador San Nicol&aacute;s at sunset is a must, for those lovely Alhambra views. <BR><BR>Hope this helps a bit. Enjoy your trip!<BR>

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Becky

panvan, I just returned from a similar trip. I plan to post a detailed report in the next day or two. We traveled May 18-29th. This is a brief overview:<BR><BR>Day 1: Arrive Madrid 10am; Hostal Las Fuentes 66Euros/night for a triple; Prado Museum; Retiro Park<BR><BR>Day 2: Rastro Market; 2pm AVE train to Sevilla (2.5hr train ride); taxi to Hostal Lis 72Euros/night for triple;<BR><BR>Day 3: Cathedral; siesta; dinner<BR><BR>Day 4: Casa de Pilatos; Triana area for ceramic/tile shopping<BR><BR>Day 5: Rented car at train station; drove to Ronda(1.5hr from Sevilla); saw bridge and Mondragon Palace in Ronda; drove to Nerja (1.5-2hr from Ronda); Hostal Lorca 46Euros/night for triple<BR><BR>Day 6: Drove old road to Granada; Alhambra and Albaicin Street area<BR><BR>Day 7: Beach<BR>Day 8: Beach<BR>Day 9: Beach<BR>Day 10: Drove to Granada airport to return rental car; taxi to train station; 4:40pm Talgo from Granada to Madrid (5hr train ride); Hostal Las Fuentes again<BR>Day 11: visited friends in outlying Madrid<BR>Day 12: quick morning walk and visit to bakery; depart at 1:40pm flight from Madrid to Philadelphia.<BR><BR>We felt that we spent our time perfectly. We could have stayed in Nerja forever, but we felt that we had enough time in each city to adjust and do what we wanted. We don't feel we missed anything nor stayed too long. You will notice that we skipped the famous alcazar in Sevilla, because we would see something similar in the Alhambra. Casa de Pilatos was our favorite palace of our whole trip!!! It is often overlooked and not advertised well in travel books, but it was amazing! <BR><BR>My one suggestion to anyone doing a similar trip to Andalucia is don't do Sevilla and Granada close together, timewise. Honestly we didn't appreciate the Alhambra or the Albaicin, because we already saw the same type of things in Sevilla. In hindsight, I would have skipped Granada all together and spent that day at the beach. I liked Granada, but would have rathered to it a different trip. You start to get that feeling of "you've seen one arch, you've seen them all...you've seen one old narrow street, you've seen them all." Just our opinion.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 10:58 PM
panvan

Thank you for the feedback! We may drop the evening in Jerez and just drive on to Seville. And I'm really thrilled to hear good things about Nerja -- we don't want to go to some monster resort area. Thanks again!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:15 AM
visitor

Does anyone know price range of Hotel San Gabriel in Ronda?

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Maribel

visitor,<BR>According to my Michelin red guide 2002, the 16 rms range from 60-73 euros plus VAT. An amazing value given the quality-lots of bang for your buck. Suite #9 is lovely, and #8 is a cozy, pretty double with 2 single beds. <BR>I can't find prices on their web site:<BR>www.hotelsangabriel.com<BR>email: [email protected]

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:58 AM
qwerty@qwerty

The Royal Equestrian show is Thursdays only, unless they've change schedule this year.<BR><BR>BTW: you still have a 17 minute period unused on day 5. Maybe you could make a sidetrip to Barcelona.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Maribel

parvan,<BR>Sorry, when I checked the site of the Royal Ecuestrian School in Jerez<BR>http://www.realescuela.org/esp/default4.htm<BR>it indicates that there are noon shows:<BR>(exhibition versus visit to stables)<BR><BR>High season, July 15-Oct. 31 on Tues., Thurs,. and now Fridays, according to the web page<BR><BR>Middle season, March 1-July 14 on Tues. and Thurs.<BR><BR>Low season, Nov. 1-Feb.28, only on Thurs.<BR><BR>Sorry about the confusion. Apparently Friday shows on between 7/15-10/31<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 10:44 AM
zee

Hi I would like someones help in helping with some type of iternary for my stay in spain. I can't seem to do it. I will arrive in Malaga on a sunday and drive to Marbell Marriott resort. <BR><BR>Day 2: (Mon) Explore the town around my hotel since coming from the US I might be jet lagged??<BR><BR>Day 3Tues) drive to Ronda<BR>Day 4: (Wed) drive to Granada for day<BR>Day 5: (Thur) stay put and so beach<BR><BR>Day 6: (Fri) bus trip to Seville for one day or should I stay overnight?? <BR>Day 7: (Sat)??? <BR>Day 8: (Sun)return to Malaga for flight back. <BR>