Search

Yerevan, Armenia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yerevan, Armenia

That should get your attention!

My sister's husband has been invited to teach at a workshop at a jazz festival there. The problem is that my sister has to purchase her own ticket while her husband's way is being paid.

Does anyone know of a website that includes Armenia? I tried hotwire.com and, not surprisingly, hotwire doesn't have Yerevan on its list of destinations.

I did suggest to my sister that perhaps, after the jazz festival, they might want a side trip to Chechnya right next door.

I know, why would anyone want to go there under the current conditions? Please note this is my sister, not me.

I just thought I would put it up on fodor's to see if anyone has any ideas.

Garfield: Do you know anything about Armenia?
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:21 PM

My sister-in-law is from Yerevan. I'll email her today and ask for some suggestions. There are plenty of Armenian web sites in English. Armenia has some very good musicians, so your brother-in-law should really enjoy his experience.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:10 AM

Lauren- There is an excellent article on Armenia in a very recent National Geographic Magazine. In addition a Google search on Armenia tourism will bring up lots of info. For side trips I would certainly favor Georgia or Turkey over Chechnya.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

My sister is working on some way to do this. She wants to travel on the same flights as her husband. His way is paid. She is trying to do something with her Continental miles for part of the trip.

Thanks for the suggestions to those who responded. Hopefully, both my sister and brother-in-law will have a fabulous trip. Unfortunately, due to work, there will be no stops either going or coming home.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 03:32 PM

Lauren -- sidestep.com shows flights to Armenia. I don't know if they're competitive, but at least it's another option...
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information about sidestep.com.

I will pass it on to my sister.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Just a note to let you know my sister was able to negotiate a reasonable price for her ticket. She is flying Continental from Newark to Amsterdam and then from Amsterdam (via Prague) on Czech Airways.

What a trip!
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 09:41 AM

The best web site on Armenia is

http://www.cilicia.com/

Also, the Thorn Tree at Lonely Planet has some good postings of recently travelers.

Right now Armenia is the most stable country in the region (that comment earlier this month from someone who has been ambassador to several countries in the Caucuses). An orchestra that I support had the warmest reception in Yerevan during their world tour last year. Marriott recently opened a nice property in the center of the city. Due in large part to the generosity of several Armenian-American families, the culture scene is starting to thrive there.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Also, traditionally Swiss, Lufthansa and Aeroflot had the best flights into Yerevan.

As for musicians, Charles Azvanour is perhaps the world's most famous Armenian (well, maybe along with Cher).
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

I did take a look at the cilia website, Mark, which is excellent. I also passed it on to my sister in case she had not found it already.

Her husband will be an artist in residence for the Jazz Festival, which I think is the first week of April. My sister is also a very talented musician but has never made her living at it. He plays the sax and composes. She plays the flute.

I have NO musical talent whatsoever. My sister got all the musical genes in the family.

Unfortunately, they will come home immediately after the teaching/performing gig at the Festival because they both have jobs.

The will not have time for a side trip to any of the other former Soviet Republics in the area.

I cannot wait to hear all about it (and see the photos) after they return.

Again, thanks, everyone for all the helpful information.