Xmas celebrations in Europe

Old Nov 30th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xmas celebrations in Europe

I just got back from Belgium last night. Brugges had a Xmas market in the Markt square as well as an ice rink. The lighting is up, and now just to wait for some snow. My host, Benno, told me that the canals no longer ice up sufficiently for prolonged skating - once upon a time you could skate all the way to Holland on the canal, no more. You may have a few days of skating but that is all. I saw some photos of skating on the canals - beautiful.

Brussels had one Xmas market near the Bourse and no doubt others. The Hotel de Ville had a son et lumiere display, check it out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skywalkerbeth/4142078994/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skywalkerbeth/4141233257/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skywalkerbeth/4141914512/

What have you seen where you live/on your travels?
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 03:02 AM

I've seen the pictures and it soooo pretty. May I suggest Sardinia for your next stop. I could attest that this place is magnificent and will top of your European vacation. I've been there a lot of times and I fell in love with the place the moment my feet touched the floor. I want to share my sentiments with you...
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 04:20 AM

Christmas doesn't start here until after next weekend, so not much happening here yet. Only when Sinterklaas has headed back to Spain then we can think about Christmas.

Last winter the canals froze enough for skating, but it is very unusual nowadays.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 05:32 AM

"Christmas" begins on Dec 24 in Germany, not a day earlier. Right now it is "Advent" (from Latin adventus, arrival), the season of preparation and anticipation, starting the 4th Sunday before Christmas Day, Nov 29 this year. The first candle on the Advent wreath has been lit yesterday. Advent is a festive season of its own to us, with traditions of its own. I like it more than the actual Christmas holidays. The Christmas markets are open, the streets are illuminated, the houses decorated. Advent is a magical season here.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 06:41 AM

We were so excited last year to celebrate Christmas in Paris. It was cold and snowed and was so beautiful! Going to the Notre Dame on Christmas Eve was pretty amazing.

Brugges is high on my list to go.