Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

xact metro directions to Versailles please and Paris Vision

Apr 28th, 2002, 07:57 AM
robyn

Please, could someone tell me EXACT metro directions from the 6th to Versailles? How long does the trip usually take?
I went on the paris vision site and their excusrsions seem a bit pricey. Is it worth it to take the bus with them and tour?
Would appreciate any advice.
Thank You

Apr 28th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Statia

Hi Robyn:

I went from Paris (5th) to Versailles by metro about three years ago, but unfortunately I do not recall the route we took. I do remember it was fairly easy to figure out with a map and we also asked some directions as we went along. The Parisians were very helpful.

We also used Paris Vision for a day trip to London via Eurostar and were quite pleased with their service. We did Versailles on our own, though, and it worked out great.

Good luck. Maybe someone else will know the exact metro route to Versailles.

Apr 28th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Shannon

Robyn,
It depends upon where you are in the 6th, what Metro stop you are near. Get on the Metro and go to a stop that connects with Metro line number 9 (i.e. Trocadero). Take line 9 all the way to the end at Pont de Sevres. Get off the Metro and transfer to bus number 171. The trip from that point takes 15 minutes. You'll be let off near the gates of the palace. A very cheap and easy ride. You used to be able to do it with a Paris Visite pass, but I think that was stopped. I think you can still use tickets you buy as a carnet (package of 10 metro/bus tickets).

Apr 28th, 2002, 09:43 AM
LB

To get to Versailles you can take the RER (fast trains) straight to Versailles , get off and have about a 10 minute very pleasant walk.

Apr 28th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Statia

Robyn:

Although I'm sure both routes will get you there, I now remember doing what LB posted. It was quite easy and we enjoyed the walk to Versailles when we got off the train.

Have fun! I hope the fountains are on when you go since they weren't when we went (April). However, the grounds were beautiful, nonetheless.

Apr 28th, 2002, 09:54 AM
sandy c

hi robyn,

I know exactly why you are asking this question. I did the same last october and was given two or three different answers and even still as a little confused when I got to the station.

the best source for this questions is a passage at the rick steve site about this:

"Versailles, 12 miles from downtown Paris, is an easy direct 30-minute ride on the RER train. While two other trains go to Versailles, RER is the most efficient for the tourist. Métro to any RER-C station (Austerlitz, St-Michel, Orsay, Invalides, Pont de l'Alma, or Champs de Mars/Tour Eiffel) and follow the RER signs to trains (usually named VICK) bound for Versailles R.G. (Rive Gauche station). Do not ride Versailles C.H. trains; they stop at a different Versailles station, farther from the palace. (26F round-trip, covered by railpasses, 30 minutes each way; trains run every 15 minutes; most but not all trains go to Versailles R.G. Check the stops listed on signs over the platform and confirm with a local. Turn right out of the Versailles R.G. station, then left on the major boulevard to reach the palace, 10 minutes).

he is right about the CH line. we messed up and did this and had to change at another station. make sure you ask and check your trains destination and that it is "Versailles R.G. (Rive Gauche station)". he is also right in that once you get there exit the front of the station and go right. about two blocks look to you left and you will see the chateau.

hope this helps
sandy c

Apr 28th, 2002, 10:00 AM
x

To be exact, you are NOT taking the Metro. You will be taking the "RER" or the regional express trains. RER ticket prices are based on where you start and end, unlike the Metro. (You will need to insert your ticket as you are leaving the system.)

The RER stops at several places along the Left Bank waterfront. In the 6th there are 2 options. There is a stop near Notre Dame at the foot Blvd. St. Michel and one at the D'Orsay.

Make sure you take the RER "C" Line that indicates it is going to the Versailles Rive Gauche station. You can either take a shuttle bus or walk the 7 to 10 minutes once there.

Note, the C line has two endpoints, one is near Versailles, the other is not. Get on the one that has a "V".

Apr 28th, 2002, 11:11 AM
robyn

Thank you so much Sandy and "X" for the information. It helps greatly.