Wroclaw?

Apr 14th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Wroclaw?

I was looking at Ryanair destinations, and found out that next September I could fly cheaply to Wroclaw, Poland.

PROBLEM: I've never been to Poland, let alone Wroclaw, and I honestly don't know what there is to see there. Advice?

Any famous sights of which I'm ignorantly unaware?
Apr 15th, 2007, 04:02 AM

nice old city centre plus cathedral. Not one of the top sites in the country but pleasant enough
Apr 15th, 2007, 04:27 AM

Maybe you can combine it with Prague or Krakow?
Apr 15th, 2007, 09:52 AM

If you don't get more of a response here, I know that on TripAdvisor there are a few people who live in Wroclaw who post regularly on the Poland forum. they can probably give you all the specifics.
Apr 15th, 2007, 01:00 PM

In 2004 we spent 3 nights of a 15 nights Poland trip in Wroclaw (pronounced Wrotzwaf) and really liked the city. As mentioned by bilboburgler it has a lovely, quite large and lively old city center ("square")with gorgeous architecture, and many restaurants including plenty of outdoor seating choices. It has a German name, as well, that I don't remember. The city is very walkable with a lovely river, small art museum (eat in its cafe where the server's mother provides homemade bakery). The zoo is very nice, and there's a fine "cyclorama" of a battle that was surprisingly interesting (headphones provide English commentary). I would recommend the Hotel Dwor Polski, though we weren't able to get a reservation there. We did walk through it - it's very refined and old-style, and right on the square.

The train trip from Warsaw was 5 hours. We had planned to visit a small town near Wroclaw called Klodzko, which sounded great, having both an old castle and a bridge similar to Prague's, but connections didn't work out, so you might try that. Prague appears nearer to Wroclaw than does Warsaw, but I just checked Die Bahn for train times and the shortest was 6 1/2 hours. Berlin, however, appeared to be a shorter train trip. In any case, Warsaw would be a great second destination if time allows.

Throughout Poland watch for CUKIARNIAs - tiny bakery places - Polish bakery is exquisite - especially the plum filled varieties. For early morning and late night pastry attacks, the major train stations have great pastry, as well. Our visit was in September, and temperatures were moderate - we did experience drizzle while in Wroclaw. Speaking only English was no problem in the cities of Wroclaw's size and greater. Hope you're able to go, as Poland was one of our favorite trips.