Reload this Page >

WOW TWA AND AMERICAN

Search

WOW TWA AND AMERICAN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 12:23 PM
flier

WOW TWA AND AMERICAN

big news eh? TWA getting bought by American. Interesting. I will post my thoughts on this later when I have more time. Mixed feelings as I am FF on both lines. What you all think?

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 12:40 PM
DeltaMan

To tell you the truth, I didn't even know TWA was still in business.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 02:20 PM
lisa

The Washington Post's story says that American's purchase of TWA makes the United-USAirways merger more likely to go through, which I think is REALLY bad news. Less competition in the market all the way around.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:37 AM
twa

TWA

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 06:27 AM
kk

Anyone who thinks that super-consolidation of airlines in the US is not a threat to all us travelers doesn't know enough. Or, hasn't traveled in/across Canada, down to one national airline, with horrid service and even worse prices. (I am not speaking of Air Canada flights to Europe.) <BR>Also, when The Economist in England researched what kept airline fares low in the US, the came up with only one thing: the presence of Southwest Airlines in a market area. If SW flew there, you could fly there cheaply. If SW did not, you paid the earth. <BR>Think about it. Competition is good.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 06:42 AM
xxx

Seems like we should all be buying Southwest stock!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 07:06 AM
President George W. Bush

Don't worry, fellow traveling Americans. I promise I won't look the other way while this merger goes through and the mega-airlines charge you more and more to wedge you into smaller seats. Look on the bright side. Dick says you won't have to remember all of those annoying 800 numbers to call for reservations. Just one number will be sufficient after the merger: 1-800-ONE-FARE. And don't get the idea that these big airlines are going to try to get away with something while Dick Cheney is in charge. I heard he is a mad dog when it comes to enforcing anti-trust regulations. <BR> <BR>Gotta go. They're juicing up my private plane. I'd tell you all about it, but you'd only get jealous. We can't have that, now can we?

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Ed

Bad for travelers for TWA and USAir to be bought by United and American? <BR> <BR>Maybe. <BR> <BR>Better or worse when TWA and USAir go out of business? <BR> <BR>Or perhaps some would like the government to mandate higher fares so more airlines survive? <BR> <BR>Or, just maybe, a government decree to pack more seats in so the weak carriers would survive longer? <BR> <BR>How about a tax increase to subsidize carriers that not enough passengers fly? <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Willy

As a long time customer and very high mileage FF member on both lines, I have mixed thoughts on this. I always liked TWA a little better than American because I felt their service was a bit better on board (although in November trip to Paris it had slipped a little). TWA is an old and honorable name in airlines, but to thanks to that pig Carl Icahn who raped and pillaged the line in the 80s, they are not in big trouble. I guess the positive thing for people like me is that my TWA FF miles will be transferred to AAdvantage program on American so I won't lose them like I will if TWA just shuts down. I hope all works out for all of the TWA employees that have stuck with the line through all the bad times. Best of luck to them.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 12:18 PM
mary

As a former airline employee, I hate to see any of the airlines encounter hard times....TWA's recent troubles started when flight 800 was shot down....they were just getting back on their feet... <BR>I say more power to them.....I am amazed that they can make money at all due to all the unpredictable forces that can influence the airline business....ie, <BR>weather, strikes, FAA, weather,air traffic controllers,weather,irate passengers, and a whole host of other problem that occur in this business. <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Al

Let me test your memories. What do the following have in common: Chicago & Southern (Capital), Braniff, Eastern, Pan Am, Allegheny. Right--they all are gone. Or merged. In any case, fewer carriers remain. Most of the majors' stock prices are below or only a little above where they were a year ago. With one glaring exception: Southwest. Up about 130 per cent. What does Southwest know (and do) that the others do not?

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:38 PM
kk

As someone who has visited SW headquarters in Dallas and who flies on SW a few times a year, I say here is what SW knows: <BR>1. efficiency <BR>2. good service <BR>3. reasonable rates <BR>4. Excellent labor relations <BR> <BR>So, what else is there? <BR> <BR>Oh, yes, one other thing: No airplane crashes, ever. No, absolutely never. <BR> <BR>The Economist is a spectacular weekly news magazine from the UK (see my comment above) and if THEY tell me the difference in reasonable rates is the working of Southwest Airlines in a market area, then I believe them. Of course, it also tallies with my own personal experience, but I was still amazed that that's what they come up with, over there, way across the Big Pond of the Atlantic. <BR>Viva SW! <BR>Now, if only SW flew to Europe from the US!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Al

Strange that you should mention The Economist. About a year, they did a piece of a European airline that modeled itself on Southwest. Ryannair. I checked into its financials, bought some stock to go with my Southwest shares, and lived happily ever after.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 07:09 AM
up

Warrants going up again.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Mariarosa

The New York Times and the Frommers editorials both highlight today that the airline mergers will likely result in increased airfare prices. Frommers urges passengers to write e-mails to their senators and congressmen. If you want to read the whole articles please go to: <BR>http://www.frommers.com/newsletters/today/article6.html <BR> <BR>and <BR> <BR>http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/10/business/10FLY.html

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 07:51 AM
kk

Excellent idea, Mariarosa--I'm going to start a new labelled thread with your message...so it does not get buried.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 08:03 AM
Aeroflot to the Rescue

Write congressmen and senators and say what? <BR> <BR>Maybe the government should run a competing airline or two after USAir and TWA go out of business? There ought to be several Aeroflot comrades in Russia who would relish the opportunity to come to the US and apply their expertise. Perahps some of the FAA managers who have have failed to replace their vacuum tube computers in over 20 years of spending billions could also join the team. <BR> <BR>A strong Southwest, and others, give American, United et al competition, and should be encouraged. This is what keeps fares down. <BR> <BR>Government regulation, as it did until the 80s, keeps fares &gt;&gt;high&lt;&lt; enough to support even the least efficient carriers. Fares, overall, in inflation-adjusted dollars, are lower today than ever. <BR> <BR>Neither the New York Times nor Frommers (especially Frommers) knows what keeps fares in check. It's competition, not the government. <BR> <BR>It's not the number of competiors. It's the strength of competitors. Competition comes from strong companies, not anemic invalids. <BR> <BR>Whether there are two, three or eight airlines, let's work at making sure at least one is an agressive, healthy, low fare competitor. Support competition, not welfare. <BR> <BR>