Reload this Page >

Would Ireland be a Disappointment?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 05:27 AM
Mary

<BR>I have read most of the posts stating the reasons so many love to visit Ireland. However, if one is going mainly for spectacular scenery and has already seen magnificent places like the American West, Alps, Canadian Rockies, Alaska, and Hawaii, would Ireland be a great disappointment? We know from photos we have seen the scenery is different but if one is not interested in castles or pubs etc. would the scenery be spectacular enough to be worth going all that way from America to see?? Thanks for any advice or information you can share.

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 05:40 AM
Ruth

It's hard to say how an individual would react to the scenery. A lot of it has reminded me of the mountainous areas of the Eastern US but then there are areas like the Burren, Cliffs of Moher and Connemara. I think you should have some interest in Ireland other than specatacular scenery, like the history and culture of the Irish, to truly appreciate a trip there.

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 05:55 AM
T.

Much of Ireland probably would be disappointing for you (the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher, etc.). However, I suggest going to Connemara. It's very different than the places you mention in your posting, but spectacular in its own way--desolate coastlines, rocky, barely inhabited islands, green bogs, farmland.

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 07:49 AM
xxx

I think that if you start being disappointed about a trip before you even book it then you ought to skip it. <BR>The thrill of travel is discovering bits of big wide world out there and realizing how much there is to see and learn - if you're looking for guarantees that you'll be wildly entertained wherever you travel then you are bound to be let down no matter what. Ireland is not a theme park - it's an ancient country with a hugely rich history and and is populated with folks with a truly unique view of the world - and life for that matter - because of this history. <BR>I never understood the term "a terrible beauty" until I travelled to Ireland - the Dingle peninsula - the cliffs of Moher - and many many nameless vistas are sights you simply have to see (in person) to believe. <BR>If you're open to letting Ireland - or anywhere you may travel - show you what it's got to offer, then I hope you will give it a shot. If not, I hope that you dont decide to go anyways and then post a long message on how boring it was. <BR>p.s. I have become xxx as a result of lots of useless scams coming my way via email, not because I wish to remain anonymous to my fellow fodorites from whom I have gained so much invaluable information and insight into travel.

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 09:01 AM
lola

No, the scenery is not "spectacular" in the Alpine sense. But the people are.

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 10:10 AM
Terry

Haven't been to N. Ireland, but I do hear the Giant's Causeway described as "spectacular." What are your reasons for even considering Ireland, Mary? Because if your criteria are as simple as something with dramatic scenery in the Ireland/Great Britain region, you might consider Snowdonia, in Northern Wales. Pretty darn spectacular, that.

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 01:36 PM
Patricia

I can understand your desire to see "spectacular" sights. However, what is spectacular in Ireland even more than the sights (which I find breathtaking in some areas) is the people in Ireland. Never have I been somewhere where strangers WANT to spend time talking with you and helping you with absolutely no gain for themselves. I have been to Ireland 3 times - have seen all of the sights. I will return for the people.

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 02:10 PM
elvira

Cross the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge in the wind; take the ferry to Rathlin Island in high seas; climb the stones of the Giant's Causeway; stand on the hill that is the home of the Little People and holds the grave of Ossian the Warrior-Poet; climb into the Glens of Antrim...then let me know if it was worth the trip.

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 11:37 AM
john

Ireland is a great, really fun place to travel, but the scenery is not "spectacular." (The Cliffs of Moher, for instance, are nothing special, and are completely overrun with tourists). If dramatic scenery is your priority, you might be disappointed. But I totally recommend it otherwise! <BR> <BR>One more thing: I'm mystified by why everyone keeps raving about the Irish "people." They are just like everyone else, and maybe even a little on the aloof side.

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 12:12 PM
Gina

The Cliffs of Moher are overrun with tourists only when you go in tourist season. We went to Ireland in February and had them nearly to ourselves...it was breathtaking. <BR> <BR>And "aloof"? The Irish people aloof? Good lord, where were you? We pulled up to the pub in Doolin, got out of the car, and three older men working on a fence immediately greeted us with, "And where would ye be from then? How long will ye be stayin' in Doolin? What else are ye goin' to see?" I kid you not. They were delightful. And the reception we got throughout Ireland was the same; people genuinely glad to see you and eager to hear who you were and where you were going. I've never met less aloof people in my life. <BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 01:26 PM
elvira

So THAT's what the Body Snatchers did with the French people - moved 'em to Ireland!

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 01:40 PM
T

I agree with John about the Irish people being somewhat aloof. I love Ireland, but I don't think the "people" are any different there than they are anywhere else. I don't understand why there are so many comments about them.

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 01:43 PM
john

Again, I highly recommend Ireland as a very worthwhile destination, but not for its scenery. I was there in October -- hardly the heavy tourist season -- and the main sites were still mobbed with tourists, fresh off their busses. Even if they weren't there, I do not think I would have been overwhelmed by the Cliffs of Moher. As for the people, I spent several days in Dublin, Galway, and Clifden. While all were cordial, no one displayed the much-proclaimed outgoing friendliness that I expected. I recommend you follow T.'s advice. See Connemara.

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 01:56 PM
priley

I loved the scenery! There is nothing like those green mountains covered in mist! No, its not the Alps or Rockies, but it is a beautiful country. I would hardly consider the pubs and castles to be the scenic reason for a trip! And I don't know who those of you who stated the people are aloof dealt with... we found the people to be incredible. We rented a house for 1 week in Cromane Upper & feel we have an extended family there now. We were treated to home made bread, tea cakes, wine, etc. The family who we rented from treated us like their own!

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 03:18 PM
D

Everyone travels for different reason. We go somewhere because it interests us, not to compare it to another place we've visited. Each place is unique. If you have no interest then simply don't go. Go to the library and check out fodors ireland or get eyewitness ireland, if notheing interests you and your companion, why waste time somewhere you don't want to be. <BR> <BR>We found the people to be open and friendly. We liked to ask them about themselves and many would talk to us first. You have to have an interest in people and be approachable yourself if you want people to talk to you. I don't know alot of american places where people talk to strangers as they do in Ireland. However, this was my experienc e and I knew what the scenery was before we went. We went for the history and were delighted by each bend in the road and the people. <BR>For example. We stopped in a pub for lunch in Dingle. The propriator told us that we had missed lunch. We stayed and had a pint, he disappeared then came back and told us the restaurant next door was still serving and he told us they had a table waiting for us. Would that happen here in the USA, I don't think so. But that doesn't mean the USA is bad either. Each country is special. <BR>Darlene <BR>

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 03:04 AM
dee

i'm so tired of the city, and city people scurrying around all the time, that ireland appeals to me even as i daydream about time off to enjoy a vacation. it is the whole country, the whole laid back experience, the driving through the countryside and exploring, with no timetable, that i love. i stay out of dublin, and love the places like doolin, lisdoonvarna, connemara. <BR> <BR>it's okay by me that you stay home . . . makes more room for folks who really do want to go, who really do their homework, and who will really enjoy their time there. when a place doesn't live up to your expectations, you are bound to show that displeasure while you are there . . . and that attitude is not good. <BR> <BR>the scenery you described . . . have you traveled elsewhere, perhaps for cultural reasons or just for relaxation?

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 03:35 AM
Mike Murphy

Mary, <BR>I travel vicariously to the "olde sod" thanks to having family there and the trips taken by my parents and siblings. <BR> <BR>From what I've seen of the scenery, you have an arguement that other places have similar views of Mother Nature's work. But did visiting the Alps stop you from going to the Rockies? <BR> <BR>Ireland, like other European countries has a wealth of history, some of it ancient. So if you get a "chill" seeing sites that have a rich history, then Ireland will not disappoint. <BR> <BR>Re: Aloof Irish. <BR>They're way outnumbered by the genuine kind, friendly humorous ways of the majority of it's people, including the Murphys' of Carlingford

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 06:59 AM
lola

Another vote for "non-aloof." I had mentioned to my Irish guide that I was sorry the crayfish season had ended. When we pulled up to the next pub, at around 3, there was a table set up in the middle of the room. The owners sat me down, and delightedly served me the last crayfish of the season, with great fanfare and delight. The patrons all celebrated with me. (The guide had called ahead, to please me. The trouble was, I already had eaten lunch, and it was the largest crustacean I had ever seen, before or since! No dinner that night.)

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 07:49 AM
T.

All the postings aiming to show that the Irish people are extraordinarily friendly and outgoing have offered nothing but incidental anecdotes: a pub owner who was particularly nice, a hotelkeeper asking where they were from, etc. That kind of thing happens everywhere. In every place I've been, some people are friendly and nice, and some people are rude and aloof. Ireland is no different. <BR> <BR>The person who posted the original message here asked whether she would be disappointed in Ireland if she were going primarily for "spectacular scenery." The responses seemed to imply that she might be disappointed in the scenery, but that she should go anyway for "the people." I think that is ridiculous. <BR> <BR>[However, for the record, I want to say again that I think Ireland is a wonderful place to travel and I highly recommend it.]

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 03:09 PM
Rex

I recently "threw in" a day in Ireland - - mostly because it was almost free ($18 USD London to Dublin on RyanAir, then $27 Dublin onward to Paris - - cheaper than any other way I could find to get to France from the UK!) <BR>. <BR>I think I will want to go back because 24 hours in Dublin alone is surely not representative of Ireland is really about. I was disappointed that Dublin is noisy, traffic was more maddening than I expected (and I am comfortable with some of Europe's worst city quagmires), and worst of all, I could not really locate what I thought I would love best - - Irish music. But I will go back and try again, and this time I will try the countryside. If you don't want castles or pubs, I will forgive you, but if you don't like Irish music, well then we speak a different language. Try the CD "Live from Patrick Street" - - if it doesn't move you, well then, I just shake my head. <BR>. <BR>I did think that visits to the National Museum and Killmainham Jail gave me a totally new understanding about the desire for independence from British rule, and how the IRA must feel about having a "foreign" enclave at the north of their island. I won't say I am okay with the methods of resolving the conflicts there, but I understand a little better now. <BR>. <BR>I'd say keep your eyes out for bargains at www.ryanair.com and give Ireland a taste on a trip where you want to head to Europe for some other destinations at the same time. <BR>. <BR>Best wishes, <BR>. <BR>Rex

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -