Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Worth taking breakfast at hotel in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Mare

Trivial question: I am about to book a stay in a budget hotel in the Rue Cler area. (Don't know yet which will have rooms available.) I have heard you should tell the hotel up front if you want breakfast or not. In general, if you are staying in a budget hotel, is it worth taking breakfast (around 35-40F) or should we hit a bakery? I can't remember if the bakeries in the seventh offer any seating, and I don't know if we'll feel like standing at a counter first thing in the morning.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 02:21 PM
kelly

If the breakfast is not mandatory, you can just play it by ear. If you want it one day, take it, if not then don't. If it's optional, you will only be charged for the breakfasts you take.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Maggie

Why not take a travel kettle, some instant coffee, powdered milk, sweetener and a packet of biscuits.<BR>When you wake up you can have coffee and biscuits before you set off on your adventures and then eat when you get hungry.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 02:29 PM
greg

This would be an easy choice for me. If the BF does not have to be included in the hotel bill, I would consider eating at a cafe nearby. You can always look in the dining room to see if you want to eat at the hotel, but if they give you a choice, it is more power to you. <BR><BR>Check your hotel bill carefully when you check out. I had hotel tried to charg me optional BF each day of the stay even though I did not eat there at all. It appeared this hotel always assumed everyone eats BF at the hotel unless the customer complained.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 02:32 PM
metoo

I take those cereal bars and bring tea bags,too. I think the breakfasts are too expensive...anyway I don't need croissants daily.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 02:36 PM
mary kay

The breakfasts in Paris hotels are not too exciting. I would also play it by ear - if you are in a hurry one day just eat at the hotel, on a more leisurely day eat in the neighborhood. We stayed in Rue Cler area and there were lots of charming bakeries and even full b'fast places open early.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Mare

Thank you! I didn't know it could usually be decided as you went along. In fact, I had hear the opposite. This will make things easier.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 04:22 AM
davis

We also stay in Rue Cler area when in Paris and have found it to be pretty much of a toss up on the hotel breakfast versus going out. The 2 star hotels are not overly pricey on their breakfast (croissants, rolls, jelly, butter, juice, coffee)and if you go to a local cafe and get same it will cost about same...that is to get a croissant and coffee or tea out will be about same cost. One advantage of using hotel is refills on coffee and tea and ability to go back to room and do last minute things like teeth brushing etc. before hitting the streets. Play it by ear. We will split it up and so some in and some out, but generally in is more relaxing unless the hotel is grossly overcharging for the breads and drinks. Have a blast and enjoy one of the world's GREAT cities.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Fred

Part of the great French experience is to go to a local cafe, belly up to the bar standing shoulder to shoulder with the locals, and have your coffee, croissant that way. Sit or stand at the bar - it will about $2-2.50, about half the cost of sitting at a table. For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 04:43 AM
elena

There is a woderful bakery on Rue Cler with a sitting area. It is open every day but Monday. We found the bread was great and the cafe au lait was better than what was served at our hotel. It's at the beginning of Rue Cler on the corner (I can't remember the cross street). We ate a one of the cafes on the Monday when the bakery was closed. We'll be back in March and look forward to the bakery again.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 09:12 AM
r

Mare; Your question received some very good feedback. I agree with everyone! Play it by ear. If it is included in the price of the room then of course, why not. You can always do something else. We did. I personally love the neighborhood caf&eacute;s and find the hotel bk a bit of drudgery. It is true that it is convenient, however, for last minute room stuff. If you have to commit and pay extra, I wouldn't. If they will let you pay as you go, that would be preferable.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Rex

While I'll echo the "it depends" opinions of others, I would also add that in France, more than in any other country, there seems to be a cheerful willingess to bring your breakfast to your room and serve it - - at no extra charge. This can be really nice. Just specify before you go to bed. A French breakfast is so standard, there's typically only thing to specify: cafe noir, cafe au lait, cafe complet (rcacks me up how they think of these as three very different things!) - - or hot chocolate. A croissant and a piece of baguette are the usual food items. And I've seen places which really do expect you to say if you want butter or marmalade or not - - not offering it if you didn't specify.<BR><BR>I've often had the feeling that they darn near prefer serving breakfast to the room. The breakfast rooms can be very small, and almost overcrowded at times. And I think they like to get it over and done with in there - - clean it up and close it up for the day by 9 or so, With service to your room - - well, they're going to come clean your room sooner or later anyhow!<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>