Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Worst case scenario has happened...have to cancel trip...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for any help and information as we have to cancel our long awaited trip. My 22-year-old brother is in a coma and we cannot leave him.

I purchased travel insurance on the overseas flight, so I will cancel that and should receive a refund.

Our National Express and Big Bus tickets are flexible (will have to check how long they're good).

I think we're out the theatre tickets in London. We were supposed to pick them up at the box office, so we can't try to resell them, or anything.

For our Ryanair tickets, I think we will change the reservation as far in the future as possible, then change to the date in the future we're able to go. I think that even with two changes, we will save a little money over just canceling and starting fresh.

Also, we have to cancel hotel and car reservations.

I think this is everything. Any additional information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It is tough to undo a year's worth of plans in a week!

Thank you for any comments!
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 07:00 PM

So sorry to hear about your brother. Hope things work out for him and the family.

A couple of theatre tix are the least of your concerns now -- but you should contact the theatre box office. Just about every theatre sells "returns" the day of performance. presumably the show is one of the big hits (otherewise there was no need to pre-book tickets in the first place). if so they will probably be able to re-sell your seats and you'll get a credit for most of the ticket cost.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 02:53 AM

Awful news, I wish your brother all the best.

When was your trip scheduled? If you booked the hotels direct, then you should be able to cancel a few days in advance without charge - every hotel has a different policy, some you can cancel up to 24 hours in advance. Same often goes for car rental, if you've booked through one of the major operators. If you do get charged a cancellation fee, then this should be covered by your travel insurance.

Theatre tickets - call the box office direct and explain what's happened. They're often very reasonable. I had to change a ticket for a production with the ENO not long ago and they gave me a credit note for a future performance (date unspecified).

Best of luck, but don't panic. Most things will be cancellable (is that a real word??), and if not, then you'll probably find you can claim for any expenses on your insurance as you have a genuine reason to cancel.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

The travel insurance was through Travelocity and I think it just covers the flight. I will at least try to call the other companies to cancel.

Thank you for the advice on the tickets-I will call them.

As for hotel, we have a reservation at the Morgan Hotel in London, so I will call to cancel that, As for car, it is a reservation with one of the airport taxi companies.

Thank you!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 03:24 AM
ira

Very sorry to hear about your brother, Katharine.

My best hopes for a full recovery.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the thoughtful responses. Does anyone know the phone number for the Queen's Theatre on Shaftsbury Ave in London? I bought the tickets through Ticketmaster, who cannot refund them. I thought I would still contact the box office, but can't find the number.

Thanks.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:07 AM

I am not sure if you got the number or not. I found a group sales number to call for the theatre
020 7494 5456

My thoughts are with you and your family
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:11 AM

Katherine, here's the box office number:
Queens Theatre
Shaftesbury Avenue
London, W1
Box Office: +44 20 7494 5041

As for the car, as it's an airport taxi, you should be able to cancel without charge. Good luck!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:15 AM

So very, very sorry. Something like this has to be our worst nightmare. So happy you have travel insurance. Makes a good case for any of us who waiver on purchasing it. Wishing the very best for your brother.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Here is an update:

I have cancelled the car and the train tickets. The Big Bus tickets require a letter be sent, but it appears they will refund the tickets.

I tried the ticket office at the Queen's Theatre, but they referred me back to ticketmaster, who will not refund or change the tickets. It appears I am out of luck o nthe tickets.

I apparently have to fax the Morgan Hotel to cancel the reservation, but I will continue to try to call.

Travelocity just involves paperwork, but shouldn't be aproblem.

I am waiting to deal with Ryanair until last, but I am still thinking of rescheduling, rather than cancelling. I don't know that we'll be able to reschedule our trip until next summer, though, so I don't know if I can change the reservations that far in advance.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:27 AM

Thanks for letting us know how you got on. Shame about the theatre tickets - I guess it's sometimes luck of the draw as to how helpful someone is prepared to be.

Can you try emailing the hotel, if they need written confirmation? I guess it's worth trying all options.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:28 AM
P_M

I remember what our family went through when my dear grandmother slipped into a coma, I can only imagine how hard this must be when it's a much younger person. It just isn't fair. My thoughts are with you and your family, and I wish your brother the best.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 05:26 AM

Good luck and prayers go out to you and your family. Our son was stricken with a viral encephalitus when he was a young teenager. He was in a coma for four days and it was horrendous. Fortunately he recovered fully. One thing we learned upon his recovery was that he could hear us and was aware of what was going on while he was under -- so talking to him and letting him know you love him are important both to you and to him.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:11 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Best wishes that he recovers and you can eventually take your trip.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

I was able to cancel the hotel over the phone.

As for Ryan air, I am thinking of just keeping the reservation on the off chance they cancel the flight and I could then get a refund? I mean, I'll get nothing back if I cancel it now.

Ryanair and the theater tickets are the only things not refundable, so our losses should be under $500.

As for my brother, I thank you all so much for your support and prayers. He will be moved to St Louis sometime today or tomorrow, so I'm glad I took care of all this today.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 07:54 AM

I am sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he will be allright. And I hope everything works out for you.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Does your travel insurance cover the "overseas flight" only? If not, I'd claim for the full value of your trip including the hotels that you have cancelled.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

I purchased the travel insurance directly through travelocity and I believe it only covers the flight purchased through travelocity. When the paperwork arrives, I'll look into it more closely. Thanks.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:03 AM

I'd like to hope it's a general policy, in which case you should be able to come out with some profit from your misfortune. If not, perhaps your household insurance has some clauses in it or medical insurance? I'm not familiar with the American insurance market so am unable to be of further assistance in this matter.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:08 AM

I'd like to add my heartfelt wishes for your brother's recovery.

Best of luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -