Search

World phone

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
World phone

I have Verizon as my cell phone carrier. I have used phone cards in Europe but I always worry that my family may need to contact me. Has anyone ever used the World Phone. I think it is about $100. I rarely talk on a phone during vacation. I usually just go to an internet cafe and check my email. I am planning a trip to Spain for three weeks and would like the peace of mind knowing we could be contacted.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM

Buy upon arrival one GSM 900/1800 (40 - 50 euros) and a local SIM card (10 euros). All incoming calls will be free, even calls from US.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Can that phone be used in any other country?
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 11:32 AM
P_M

Are you sure the phone you have won't work in Europe? It's been quite a few years since they made phones that only work in the US. Call Verizon and ask this question if you haven't already.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 11:40 AM

I have a Verizon Global phone. You can use it almost anywhere in the world. I like it b/c it is completely hassle-free. No new sim cards when you get somewhere, etc.
Calls are expensive per minute(you can print a sheet of prices in all countries) but I only use it for emergencies and to confirm bookings and things like that. I love it that my family can call me anytime they need to if I'm out of the country.
It definitely gives me peace of mind - especially on long trips!
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Verizon does not operat on GSM in North America, so I'm guessing any Verizon phone that operates worldwide would be one that has GSM (the standard everywhere else) in addition to CDMA, the North American system.
It has been over a year since I considered a new Verizon phone(I know, that is eons in mobile technology time), but it was much more practical for me to buy a separate cheap GSM phone and a local SIM. If you would be in the market for a new Verizon phone anyway, the World phone would be worth a look.

The NYTimes today reports Verizon may be in talks with Apple about getting into iPhone, would that factor into your decision?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/te...7FfTKddcrQiU0A
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

I'm really not in the market for an iphone. I use my cell fun just for basic calls and in case of an emergency. I never even use all my minutes. Thanks though!
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:01 AM
yk

I have the Verizon World Edition phone, and yes, it can use both CDMA and GSM. I don't use my phone much, if at all, except to make some urgent phone calls. TXT rate is much cheaper.
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:48 AM

Before you buy one of those world phones LOOK at the rates they charge...I found them to be as expesnive than using my I-Phone with the usual AT+T international roaming rates.

There are also disadvantages to using local SIM cards but you can find those listed on the web.

What I've found to be cheapest of all is using my own (I) phone with its SKYPE application!
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:27 AM

I always have my MCI phone card and call home everyday from Europe - very cheap. Easy way to keep in touch or check your hotel reservations etc.
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:34 PM
P_M

"What I've found to be cheapest of all is using my own (I) phone with its SKYPE application!"

Dukey, more detail please about the SKYPE application overseas. Thanks.
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM
P_M

Never mind, I googled it.
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM

I have Verizon as well, but not the World Edition phone. As such, I have a cheapy pay-as-you-go phone I bought in Ireland awhile back, and I just top it up before I leave on a trip (no new SIM card required). If it runs out and I need more, I top it up again from an internet cafe online. I've used it all over Europe, despite it being an Irish #. It works great, and I don't have to deal with exorbitant roaming fees or think twice about coming home to a huge bill.
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:34 PM

On our last trip to Italy, we bought SIM cards with Italian numbers from Call-in-Europe (http://callineurope.com/). Calls made were billed to our credit card. Charges are by the minute only - there are no monthly charges, no plan, no commitment. We thought it worked well - we didn't have to worry about how many minutes were left on the SIM card, recharging, etc., and the rates were reasonable.

I'm just reporting - I have no connection with the company.

- Larry
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:00 PM

Call-in-Europe has some possibilities (if you happen to be in France, Germany & Italy), but isn't a very good option for anyone traveling in Spain or Portugal. Based on the information porvided on their web page, all incoming calls, which we use most often, are $0.39/min vs free with Vodafone and Movistar plans. Calls withing Spain are $0.69/min vs €0.34/min. for Vodafone and Movistar, about a 50% premium with the current exchange rate. Calls back to the States are no better then what T-Mobile offers to it's customers, but it is better than what AT&T and Verizon charge.

On Spanish Time offers free mobile to mobile calls if you happen to rent two or more cell phones, plus all incoming calls are always free.