Wondering around in the 15e on a Sunday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be arriving Sunday morning and check in is not until 2pm. Knowing we will be able to put our bags at the hotel till rooms are ready. What should I check out in the 15e while I wait? Was thinking of the Iron Lady to get her out the way but after that hour or so, should I just pick a section or just walk the area around my hotel?
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 04:36 AM

Personally, I'd take my time to get some fresh air and a breather. If you do go up the Eiffel Tower, there'll be plenty of air, but there may also be plenty of people making it a bit stressful.

Go for a stroll in the Parc André Citroen, or around the Champs de Mars? Find a nice café to sit and people-watch? Or if you feel a bit more adventurous, go for a circular ride around Paris on the (mostly elevated) metro lines 2 and 6 (changing at Nation and Etoile)?
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to say this will be in mid-December. But will look those areas up, and was looking at a few bus lines. Since my last trips to Paris I have only used the Metro. So the bus should be interesting.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 08:21 AM

Walk to the Alma bridge, give a nod to Princess Di at the golden flame fountain on the other side, turn left, pick one of the three museums along the way (City of Paris Modern Art - free in part), Palais de Tokyo, and Asian Arts (Guimet), circle back to the Eiffel tower via Chaillot park and the Iéna bridge. That will be a perfect leg stretch for an arrival day.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

More things to add to my list while I wait for my room
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

May doing the Iron Lady mid-week. Thinking a nice brunch someplace close by the park, since I am a short walk to the hotel down the Seine.
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 02:38 PM

Acacia67 ....... in reality, the Golden Flame Fountain which is referred to by DalaiLlama is not there as a tribute to Princess Diana since it was erected there in 1989, some 8 years before her death. It is called The Flame of Liberty and was given to Paris by the Herald Tribune`s donors as a celebration of the 100th anniversary of an English language newspaper in Paris. It is a copy of the flame carried in the torch of the Statue of Liberty. From my Historical Monuments Book on Europe 1994.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Well it is coming down to 5 weeks before I fly out. A whole week in Paris, yes very happy about it if I have not shown it. So this is what I have lined up so far, still subject to change since I have all the time to do whatever.

Sun- arriv around -0830 in paris, but check in is not until noon. And have the rest of the day to myself to do as I please. Staying in the 15e at Novotel Paris Tour Eiffel.

Mon-Guided tour by travel group through the city. Hitting the basic, not sure how long it will be so will hope to find out prior to leaving the states.

Tue-Musee Orsay to include lunch there. Doing a walking tour either before or after the Orsay, found it in one of the guide books I have. Dinner will be up in the air for this whole trip, working a budget here.

Wed-Going through one or 2 places that they took us on the tour on Monday, spending more time going through it. Again lunch and dinner up in the air.

Thu-Have to get to Versi, never been on any of my trips to Paris so will make this a must.

Fri-The Pomp again is one I never made it to but a must to see. Seen a few pictures of the lines to get in so thinking I may have to do that one early in the morning (any thoughts?)

Sat- not sure just yet other then packing up for leaving on Sunday afternoon.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Procrastination is my new name right now. Still have not even started to pack let alone get my bag for it. It is not like I have not been on a week vacation but for some reason just in slow mode and I have about 4 weeks or so before I fly out...lol

Should be some what easy since the weather is about the same here in Philly minus the amount of rain. Some jeans and sweater ans sweat shirts. Some slacks for a few dinners (have to look nice you know). Trying to get my head out of the way I use to pack when I was in Army and now that I am out, I can pack any way I want..lol. I would be good for tossing clothes in a bag and going, but I know with this tirp I can't do that.

All comments are welcome
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

32 Days and I will be in my happy place called Paris. No stopping me.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 05:25 AM

Question...since you have been to Paris before, what does the tour on Monday add?

Have you looked at Paris Walks as a walking tour option? Different favour than one from a book.

Versi (Versailles?)..are you going via RER?

My packing philosophy...assume I will wear things more than once.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 06:22 AM

On your way back to the hotel, have lunch at Au Dernier Metro, they open at 12 on Sunday. Formulas start at 10 Euros. It's across from the Dupleix metro, a short walk to your hotel.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 07:42 AM

I love the 15th for it's neighborhood/non-touristy feel. Consider dinner (reservations needed because it is a popular local place and small) at Geppetto's on rue Charles Michel. It's a favorite of ours.

Since you are arriving at 8:30 and checking in at noon, you might not need a place to stroll while waiting for your room. You are arriving after a lot of earlier flights so you'll probably be in a huge queue at passport control and luggage carousels. You should be able to drop your luggage, have some lunch and check in.

Have a wonderful trip. I just got home a week ago and I'm missing it already!
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 07:53 AM

Arriving at 8:30, by the time you get to your hotel it should be...after 11, so the wait should not be that long.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 09:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The book market at the Parc Georges Brassens is very interesting. Some of the vendors charge by the kilo.

At the Parc André Citroën, there are many fascinating greenhouses and also a tethered hot air balloon that allows you to rise as high as the Eiffel Tower.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Michel_Paris...Monday is the ususal tourist site visit, the Arc, Notre Dame, the Opera, then the Eiffel. The basics really on Monday, part of the package I got. I am going to do the walking tour along the river starting at Quai St. Bernard then ends at Place de la Concord. Nice few hours. That may be on Tues or Wed. Versaille some time during my week, wed or thurs. I am right in between 2 RER stations (the yellow line)so will be easy to get there from my hotel. Novotel Paris Tour Eiffel, along the seine.

oakglen..will add that to my list of places to check out for that Sunday. I just rechecked that check in time for my hotel is 2pm. Hope that it is a good day weather wise when I get there.

MelJ..I think that is why I don't think I have a problem with the 15e, I just want to just relax and take my time, I have been around but now this time I have more time to really look. I have no time table for anything after Monday. But I am trying to at least put things down per day of what I would like to do or see.

kerouac...I was looking over that area just today, so depending on weather will see about the hot air balloon. Sounds fun.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Ok serious count down has begun and still have not opened my bag or gotten ready to pack, I know wrong answer. Will hop to it. And still looking through my list of places to eat lunch and dinner for the day I land on Sunday. My list has grown a bit so trying to narrow it down to at least maybe 4 places. Will post them in a few after I figure it out myself..lol
Staying in the 15th next to the Seine
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

29 days left
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 04:32 AM

Sorry but with almost a month to go why would you even be thinking about packing? My suitcase comes out the day before I depart... ;^)
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Blame it on years of military training..lol..but I get you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -