Reload this Page >

Women alone in Rome safe at night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Emily in Boulder

I'm going to Rome with my mother March 6 and am staying at the Napoleon, across from the Termini station. I'd like to walk around at night, but I've heard that this area is not very safe. Anyone savvy on this subject?

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Deborah

Emily, I can tell you from my own experience that the area by the train station is not a place you want to be walking around by yourself after dark. If you must walk alone after dark stick to the area by the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. That area is pretty safe in the evening. But best thing to do is really not walk alone as a female after dark at all!

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 10:53 AM
pat

Deborah's right - be sure to change to male after the sun goes down.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 11:20 AM
karen

I'd hate to see you and your mother trapped inside a hotel after dark, Emily. It's really Ok to walk around in many of the central neighborhoods, although I wouldn't feel completely comfortable around the Termini. Too bad about your hotel location, but you can still go out. Just take a taxi back from wherever you are at night, and you'll be fine. Write down the name and address of your hotel if you don't trust your Italian enough to tell the taxi driver.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Joanna

As long as you don't have any valuables with you, not too much can really happen. Italy isn't known for violent crimes against tourists. Petty theft is the main worry, but if you're not carrying much then what can they take?

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Michelle

I feel perfectly safe walking in Rome alone at night to the little pastry shop around the corner from my hotel. Wait, was that in Rome?

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 12:15 PM
Dawn

TOPPED this off for Emily!