Woman Alone in Barcelona

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 03:11 PM
ESS
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woman Alone in Barcelona

Hi. I'll be in Barcelona this July for a conference and plan on spending a week there beforehand on my own (single woman). Any advice out there? Tips? Warnings?
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps Kaudrey will see this. She spent two weeks in Spain on her own. Barcelona included. You can see her trip report at: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...t=0&dirtyBit=1.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 03:35 PM
ESS
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I found her report after posting my query. Now I'm really looking forward to the trip!
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 04:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi ESS,

Thanks, Sharon! It is interesting now to read about your trip when you post - to get a different perspective on a city we were in at the same time!

ESS - I think that in July, since it is tourist season, the pickpockets will be out in full force. I'd say just be smart and alert. Use a money belt. Leave valuables in the hotel safe. Don't carry anything in a purse that you wouldn't want to lose. Try to look like you know where you are going even if you don't.

People will know you are a tourist (even though I tried not to whip out a map every 2 minutes, I WAS taking out the camera a lot!). That's OK as long as you are an ALERT tourist. Pickpockets are looking for people who are not paying attention to their things while taking a pic or looking at a map. Watch out for people bumping into you, and don't ever feel embarrassed in making a scene if you think someone is bothering you or trying to pickpocket you (by pushing away or yelling or whatever).

Having given all of those tips - I'd like to further say that I never once felt unsafe in Barcelona. I used the metro, walked all over the place at night etc, and no one ever bothered me. You will have a great time. Barcelona is a vibrant, fascinating city.

Also, just as a further tip - talk to other people who are speaking English and are obviously tourists. In Sagrada Familia, I met an Australian named Mark who I ended up spending 1/2 a day with. I met a family in Sevilla who later invited me to dinner in Ronda, and I toured around in 3 cities with a girl from Montreal I met in Sevilla.

Have a fabulous time, and let me know if I can help further!

Karen
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 03:20 PM
ESS
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your tips Karen. Now I remember that a friend of mine, VERY experienced traveler, had her bag stolen from beneath her eyes while sitting at a cafe in Barcelona. I will be extra vigilent! And more outgoing than usual with English speakers. I'm really curious about the Cultural Fesitval that will be going on May-Sept, although it doesn't look like there are many events in July. Thanks again, Ellen
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 03:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to add that I've also been to Barcelona as a solo female (spent about 5 days last May as part of a nearly 3-week trip.) Never felt unsafe.

I'm a city girl here in the States and keep my wits about me as a way of life. But I do think the pickpockets there are in a class by themselves, so carry only what you need for the day.

My trip report covers other areas in Spain as well, but has info re Barcelona restaurants, if you're interested:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34426788