Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wise Fordorites, please advise on these cities.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Pip

I will be in these towns this winter (Nov/Dec) and would like to have some of your input, please, as I have never been to this part of Italy before.
Modena, Padua, Parma, Cremona and Mantova.
Maybe get down to Bologna too.
Any great hotels or sites that shouldn't be missed? Thank you.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 08:01 PM

to the top

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 08:27 PM
Nutella

I would recommend that you put Bologna at the top of your list, not just a "maybe." It's a wonderful city, especially if you like food! Of the others, I've daytripped to Cremona and Mantova. Cremona was an especially pleasant place to spend a couple of hours. Verona is not on your list, but I also highly recommend it. Buon viaggio!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Pip

Nutella, why is Bologna so special?
Any good hints at what we should do or see there? How about inexpensive places to stay. Verona does sound good. My friends rave about Parma, ever been there anyone? Thanks.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 09:19 AM

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Nutella

Hi Pip,
None of the cities you mentioned are life altering experiences, certainly not along the lines of Venice or Rome. But of your cities, I have to say I enjoyed Bologna the most. It has been described to me as "Naples of the North," a northern city but more friendy, not "cold" in the way some other northern cities tend to be. Its a college city and has a youthful personality, and the food market and food stores are out of this world.
Furthermore, if you are an ice hockey fan, you can make a pilgramage to Via Zamboni. Not sure if its the same Zamboni, but it makes a great photo standing in front of the street sign! : )
Buon viaggio, Nutella