My husband and I are planning a trip to western Europe for this winter, December-January, for about 3 weeks.
Background: My husband lived in a few of these cities as a child but he has not visited since then, I have never been to Europe. We are fairly experienced travelers in the US and Canada. We took a 3+ week road trip through the US, hitting 15 states and many cities, for our honeymoon. We took a similar trip, 1 week road trip through the eastern part of Canada, with stops in 5 major cities and other small cities. We've also taken many other shorter trips.
Right now we are thinking that we will be traveling from about December 20-January 10. But nothing is booked yet. We are available to travel December 18-January 14 but plan for a 3 week trip.
I am most concerned about Christmas and the week between Christmas and New Years. I don't want to be stuck with most places closed.
We would like to visit the following cities in this order, though the list is slightly flexible:
French Country Side (1)
*parenthesis being the number of nights spent in that city.
We primarily plan to travel by train but realize a few of these legs would be best traveled by plane.
Generally, I am looking for advice and suggestions based on the above information. Specifically, about traveling during the holiday season.
Thank you in advance for sharing your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 YAHOO Password Reset Contact 1:888:482:3831 YAHOO Tec*h supp0rt care 24by7
- 2 Traveling by car Munich to Soelden Austria
- 3 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 4 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 5 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 6 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 7 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 8 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 9 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 10 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 11 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 12 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 13 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 14 First time in Spain
- 15 Packing Champagne
- 16 Manchester hotels
- 17 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 18 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 19 Luggage lockers in Amsterdam
- 20 Barcelona to Malaga
- 21 Sorrento to Montepulciano- where to rent car?
- 22 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 23 A very important question regarding pronunciation
- 24 Where to leave luggage while touring Amsterdam for 10 hours
- 25 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG